Last Pawn Shop visits of 2010 - how'd I do?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Last Pawn Shop visits of 2010 - how'd I do?

Postby agmoose » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:11 pm

I drove up to see my Mom this AM and stopped at a couple of small town pawn shops along the way. I bought something in each.......

Stop 1 - All he had was 5 Walkers and 3 Peace Dollars. He wanted $10 and $30. I talked him into $9 each on the Walkers, but he didn't move on the Peace Dollars (1922's) so I left those there. So - $45 (didn't charge any sales tax) and I walked out with five more 90% halves at 18x face.

Stop 2 - No coins in the case, so I asked. He stated he had some stuff in the back, but I could look through it. Coffee can with: $2.80 in dimes, $4 in quarters. So - he sold that all to me for $122.50. He wanted a little more, I offered a little less, so we met in the middle. Again - no sales tax, we just settled up. That is right about 18x face also....

Stop 3 - He had coins in the case. Mostly ASE's, but a few Morgans. He said everything else had gone to the smelter yesterday, that he'd had about $2k worth - DANG!!! I picked up three Morgans - common dates, fairly worn at $27 each. He wanted $37 for the ASE's and I wasn't seeing that.

Stop 4 - I walked in, looked around for a minute, walked out, got in my truck, drove to the ATM and came back. He had rolls of silver in the display case, lots of loose "junk" in tins in the case. We chatted, he said he'd sell anything at 20x, and we talked about this and that, I stayed friendly and he was a pretty nice guy named Dale. I told him I'd take his roll of Franklins for $200 and another $5 in quarters for $100. He set those in a brown paper bag, pecked at the register and then told me the total is $275 - and said you get a discount for not being a "d**k" about the prices. I thanked him and paid up!!! So about 18.3x face - a nice discount for actually spending a few mins in his store and chatting.

Total - 3 Morgans at $71, and $24.30 in "junk" for $443.50 (18.25x face).

Happy New Year everyone - may 2011 bring us all lots of cheaply acquired shiny stuff!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Last Pawn Shop visits of 2010 - how'd I do?

Postby Nacinator » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:20 pm

Well done

I wish I had the battering skills of a Bedwin
Nacinator
Penny Sorter Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:17 pm

you paid $27 for worn morgans? Want a bag?
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rosco » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:23 pm

You did Great my choice not as Good

Hit Rockeys Pawn In Indio cal an they wanted 10 % over spot except things they had marked UP a Bunch :o I Passed :( 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby mr18 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:09 pm

30 bucks for peace dollars and 37 for ASE's? noway! yu did great on everythinh else, i wish the pawn shops in california were like that, unfortunately all the prices here ahave skyrocketed. flea markets or craigslist for me!!
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Joogaler » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:59 am

When I get some free cash I need to make a run on the local places. Almost all of my silver has come from circulation, or members of realcent. And I live near Selma NC, which is the self-proclaimed antique capitol of the world!

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals