Silvertowne - Problems Procuring SILVER

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silvertowne - Problems Procuring SILVER

Postby Country » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:01 pm

I received this message from SILVERTOWNE today:

"Due to the recent drop in silver price the sales have soared. However the purchasing of silver has also dropped here and so we are running approx 7-10 days behind in our orders. We will send an email when your order ships. We do apologize in this delay."

It seems that SILVER may be scarcer than we realize if SILVERTOWNE is having problems. Remember the long delays in procuring SILVER in 2009 ?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Silvertowne - Problems Procuring SILVER

Postby theo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Interesting. When it comes to the possibility of silver manipulation, the truest indication is a shortage of physical Ag. Given the amount of manipulation claimed I would expect the shortages to be more pronounced. We should also consider the possibility that this is (in part) a marketing message. . . . "Sales are soaring!. . . better buy now!"
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm

theo wrote:Interesting. When it comes to the possibility of silver manipulation, the truest indication is a shortage of physical Ag. Given the amount of manipulation claimed I would expect the shortages to be more pronounced. We should also consider the possibility that this is (in part) a marketing message. . . . "Sales are soaring!. . . better buy now!"

I think it is a true picture, not marketing. This was a response to my inquiry for my last order made a week ago. :shock: The order previous to that was also delayed. This is recent stuff; Silvertowne has been prompt - same day shipping most of the time in the past. I think the supply is dwindling rapidly now. Physical is held in stronger and stonger hands as time goes by... :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby dannan14 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Country wrote:Physical is held in stronger and stonger hands as time goes by... :)

Possibly, but what if a lot of the sub-30 buyers are acquiring silver iwith the intention of flipping it at some higher price? i'm sure the number of people stacking is growing, but the hope for a quick buck through little effort could inspire quite a few people to jump in who would otherwise be spending their FRNs on something else.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby cjlive2000 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm seeing this same problem with provident metals but they haven't sent out any Emails yet, just saying processing order
cjlive2000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Stupid Freedom Girl order from SSBS is still processing since Jan 30th...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Going to see if this trickles into other mints and stores.

Silver has dropped to $27 for the 3rd time in about 6 months without any major disruptions other than normal incompetency from the 'regulars' such as the US MINT, etc

When silver went from $21 to $9 all we had was War Nickels, 1000 oz mexican bars, 999 shot, and normal 999 silver for $5 over at APMEX
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:25 pm

I think the difference from earlier price drops is that silver has "coiled" (to use Neil's term) at the 29 to 32 Buck level for well over a year. The existing silver has had several opportunities to move from weaker into increasingly stronger hands, who will not be happy selling for a couple bucks in "profit". The new floor has been no less than the mid 20s for going on 2 years now and is arguably closer to $30 in practical terms, with premiums for the better stuff tending to be mid 30s.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm

I think keeping an eye on scrap recovery is going to be key to supply shortages. As long as people are scrapping Grandma's flatware and wedding rings, supply of silver should remain comfortable. The hands that supply the scrap market are extremely weak as they tend to be the people who need money or do the quick flips. Of course this is not investment silver, nor the likelihood that it will be converted into 999 but plays an important role. Once these numbers die down then it would get interesting. Think $50 Silver where EVERYTHING was being scrapped, 1800's tiffany sets to walmart chains!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm

68Camaro wrote:I think the difference from earlier price drops is that silver has "coiled" (to use Neil's term) at the 29 to 32 Buck level for well over a year. The existing silver has had several opportunities to move from weaker into increasingly stronger hands, who will not be happy selling for a couple bucks in "profit". The new floor has been no less than the mid 20s for going on 2 years now and is arguably closer to $30 in practical terms, with premiums for the better stuff tending to be mid 30s.

Of course I would like to see silver rise... much higher than it is now, but I honestly feel it will never do so until severe physical silver depletion changes the rules of "the game." So, despite my desire to embrace sudden overnight wealth, I am willing to endure these seemingly endless machinations by TPTB, because it is only in this environment of artificially low prices that a large cadre of lower income investors can rapidly strip the markets of silver and gold ounces. Each time silver cycles from "lows" to "highs", more ounces are flushed from weak hands and either wind up being utilized by industry after smelting, or move to much stronger hands... those who have an investment horizon viewed in terms of years, not weeks.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 pm

I see this complete debacle in the price as one major cultural thing.. that will come to bite the US right in the ass..

The major shorts, ie JPM, are shorting silver and gold to make a quick buck.. the US is so overwhelmed by this credit & debt crisis that it is too concerned with finagling the inflation & unemployment #s, whilst all of the other countries in the world are gobbling up the precious metals.. seeing the true value in owning REAL assets!

The physical shortage, IMO, is never going to subside, because the the silver that is being used cannot be recovered and the gold that the other gov't of the world are hoarding aren't going to want to sell for US Dollars!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:23 pm

This sure is a fun market to watch.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 am

What type of product are you waiting on? I could see how 90% could dry easy.
Seems you can order towne brand bars with no limit. 50000 1 oz buffalo rounds in checkout now. $1.57 million ,free delivery.
Only 11,100oz bars could be put in cart due to quanity limits. Ohhh how I wish I could hit the buy now.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 am

PennyPauper wrote:What type of product are you waiting on? I could see how 90% could dry easy.
Seems you can order towne brand bars with no limit. 50000 1 oz buffalo rounds in checkout now. $1.57 million ,free delivery.
Only 11,100oz bars could be put in cart due to quanity limits. Ohhh how I wish I could hit the buy now.

Well, if it's free delivery, what are you waitin' for?

Keep on stackin', y'all.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 am

Not fancy enough.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mbailey1234 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:15 am

PennyPauper wrote:What type of product are you waiting on? I could see how 90% could dry easy.

I was logged in on the APMEX site once and had like 25 monster boxes of eagles in my cart just to see if it would let me. I left them in there and about 2 days later I got a call from them. They said just wanted to call and assist me in any way they could with placing my unfinished order. I thought, yeah I bet you would. I told them sorry but I got a little better deal at another place, maybe next time. :lol:

I was browsing a few sites tonight and there seems to be a decent selection but some are at a pretty hefty premium.
mbailey1234
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Keep_Stackin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Also interested to know what product you are waiting on. All of their silver bars are listed as in stock as well as their 90% coin bags.
Keep_Stackin

Postby everything » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Their is no shortage of silver, investment demand is just real popular, eagle sales are a good gauge of current investment demand.
But also, a sign of how good the economy is, people have money to invest in PM's. With falling prices, timing the bottom can be tricky, and I can see how a company like Silvertowne can get trapped like this. It's good that they are keeping in touch with the customer base. Miners are still ramping up, it takes 10 years for these kinds of cycles to complete, and this one is still just getting started.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:00 am

Keep_Stackin wrote:

Also interested to know what product you are waiting on. All of their silver bars are listed as in stock as well as their 90% coin bags.

SILVERTOWNE miner 10oz free shipping bars. They sell them, but there is a wait before they ship them. I've been waiting 9 days so far for shipment. Usually, there is no waiting in line for these.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby db23 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am

Country wrote:
Keep_Stackin wrote:

SILVERTOWNE miner 10oz free shipping bars. They sell them, but there is a wait before they ship them. I've been waiting 9 days so far for shipment. Usually, there is no waiting in line for these.

Locking in at these low prices is worth the wait when dealing with reputable companies like Silvertowne.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tonycrouch1183 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 am

68Camaro wrote:I think the difference from earlier price drops is that silver has "coiled" (to use Neil's term) at the 29 to 32 Buck level for well over a year. The existing silver has had several opportunities to move from weaker into increasingly stronger hands, who will not be happy selling for a couple bucks in "profit". The new floor has been no less than the mid 20s for going on 2 years now and is arguably closer to $30 in practical terms, with premiums for the better stuff tending to be mid 30s.

My thoughts exactly... +1
tonycrouch1183

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Made my second purchase from Silvertowne. Found Silvertowne nothing but a honest and upstanding precious metals dealer. If they say they are having pm shortages I believe them. Bought a five ounce silver bar at $154.91. Just wish I had more funds to purchase goobs of the stuff.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Shipped today - 10 day wait at Silvertowne...
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 am

Private physical stackers like us aren't in the driver seat of the price, obviously. When there is a shortage at a place like Silvertown, its not a general shortage of silver per se, its a shortage of silver that has been refined into retail products. Just because there is a shortage of ammunition, for example, does not automatically indicate there is a shortage of brass in the economy.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals