No bank account

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

No bank account

Postby chris819 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:30 am

Hi was wondering if any of you use banks that you dont have accounts to? I am trying to find more banks but i dont want to open a account but still want to get pennies and other coins. If you have any storyies or info about not needing accounts to get coins please let me know thanks Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Re: No bank account

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Welcome. All banks are different. When I wanted to expand my volume I knew it was time to try new banks. You might do well to visit new banks toward the last hour of the day. When you do have cash ready, bring a bag to carry anything they might sell. Smile, be pleasant. Be honest. I'm interested in purchasing any extra rolls of change you might be willing to sell me. I am a collector and just interested in picking some up. If they ask volunteer you would consider opening an account in the future accept their pamphlet, listen to the talk, introduction helps. Bet you will have broken the ice and found a new source. Good luck.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 pm

My #2 supply bank........no account there....just a smart vault manager who understands the price of shipping coins off or just selling them to me for free.

****NOTE**** all of the other local branches of this same bank gave me the BIG NO!

Just keep asking. Pain in the buttocks until you find a sweet deal like this, it's worth the legwork!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm

When I first started doing this I only did non-account holding banks.

I used to say 'Just looking for $10 Face pennies' or 'some halves'. And when thy brought up their till of pennies I would say 'heck I will take all of them' and proceed that way.

But after year or so they will catch on and may cut you off. Happens to the best of us
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:06 pm

My latest supply bank treated me better before I had an account.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Some of my best scores are at banks I don't have an account with.

You just go in, wait on line, and ask for what you want. They will either say yes or no, and then on to the next bank!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 pm

90% of what I sort is from ONE bank, one branch ... at which I do not have an account. Like TJCF said... vault teller recognizes the chance to ship 2-3 and sometimes 4 bags less a week! They are HAPPY to see me come in each week!
uthminsta

Postby Morsecode » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 am

My best bank I did have an account at...if you can call it that. It's a checking account that's had a 80 cent balance for two years now. :P

Opened it with a $20 bill, immediately spent $19.20 on debit purchase. It worked though. Before that, they wouldn't give me the time of day.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 am

I do drive bys at banks I don't have accounts with all the time. Some I see once a week. At least with no account they can't ever try to use the F word. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby chris819 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks i am going to try some banks and see what happens. Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby chris819 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:16 pm

I went to a bank and the teller was a man and he said i do NOT need a account for coins as long as i dont bring them back which i said ok sure wont and said i can come by once a week for coins. I said what day would be good to come by and he said Wednesday or Thursday. So i bought $20 CWR pennies and found $11.50 worth of copper and 1 wheat. Also $20 CWR of nickels and found 9 Pre 1960's. I might ask for $30-40 in pennies if they have them.
Last edited by chris819 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby MrIncredible » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:37 pm

chris819 wrote:I went to a bank and the teller was a man and he said i do NOT need a account for coins as long as i dont bring them back which i said ok sure wont and said i can come by once a week for coins. I said what day would be good to come by and he said Wednesday or Thursday. So i bought $20 CWR pennies and found $11.50 worth of copper and 1 wheat. Also $20 CWR of nickels and found 9 Pre 1960's. I might ask for $30-40 in peenies if they have them.

Good plan. Just make sure you ask for pennies and not peenies or they might cut you off... ouch!! :shock:
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby weezerfan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:43 am

I've recently opened up a few different accounts and various banks in the area. I usually ask them before I open one if I can order coins from them. Some say yes, others say no. It really all depends on the specific branch.
weezerfan

Postby MrIncredible » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:28 am

weezerfan wrote:I've recently opened up a few different accounts and various banks in the area. I usually ask them before I open one if I can order coins from them. Some say yes, others say no. It really all depends on the specific branch.

That is definitely true. Each branch is like its own little country with its own laws.

I have only had one location try to charge me fees for ordering (I do have an account there). It is unfortunate since they are right by my office and I'd like to pick up halves at lunch. But karma has a unique way of balancing out the universe... Since they refuse to work with me on the purchase side, I plan to start using them this week as a dump bank for my halves. I can't wait to see the look on their faces. It would have been far easier for them to just sell me a few boxes of halves than to handle the dozens and dozens of rolls headed their way on a weekly basis. :lol:
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing