Curious eyes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Curious eyes

Postby mishra142 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Here is a question I'm sure many of you have dealt with and is kinda new territory for me. My son who is 7 is starting to have more friends over the house after school and on weekends. Typically Ill have 8 or 10 boxes of halves sitting around or in the process of searching as well as other large amounts of coin. So my question is do you try to hide the coin as much as possible or do you embrace the curiosity and teach them a little about coins. I just fear that some day this could make me a potential target for stealing...
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Curious eyes

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

When I was a kid, one of my classmate's parents were jewelry business owners. They brokered diamonds and gold. (In fact, I ended up working for one of the classmate's siblings briefly in his mail order business fulfilling gold orders a bazillion years ago. That guy never bothered to educate us about precious metals but we did get paid under the table and got paid OK wages for the time.) He never told us what his parents did for money. We did not ask either. His parents told him not to tell people what they did. I think they feared being robbed at home or maybe just did not like the idea of being boastful having a successful career. Probably the former. We were kids and thought money was something that just magically appeared in adults' possession for some reason. My advice is not even let your child's friends know about your coin searching. They might get their own ideas about what other things are in your house or they might talk about it with their parents and their parents might think you are some kind of kook. Heck, being a kook is not really what I meant to say, but many people just don't think about what is happening with our currency.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MrIncredible » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I keep my coins out of sight as best I can to avoid becoming a target. I read a post not long after joining RC about disposing of the thousands of coin wrappers. I still laugh about the little old lady who confused the plastic coin wrappers with condoms! :clap:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10675

Nobody needs to know what's going on at my place - not the neighbor kid or the garbage man.

I am good with my kids sharing this hobby with their friends - but only in such a way that they have no idea of the scale we operate at. They had a friend over last Saturday helping search the box in which we found 38 40%'ers. My son showed him some of his collection and then put a nice 1967 in a flip for him to take home so he could start his own collection with a coin he found himself. Hopefully that doesn't cause me any competition or I might have to take him out. :twisted:
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Dont let them in....or hide them well.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 pm

I'll add, if you want your kid and his friends to learn more about coins, Gresham's Law, and maybe saving money ( yikes, never listened to my father on that last one; he was right I found), try to nudge them to learn it organically, maybe with an 'aha!' moment. The way it hit me was that metals are real and will always be utilized. Now, how much they go for as commodities and value is something I have a long way to figure out, but I know they are always going to be needed. If the kids could learn about metal via scrapping, maybe aluminum cans or something, and then see that coins have metal in them, well, and see on coinflation.com the spot value of that metal, they might catch on and it will create an impression with them. I think back to my brother's coin collection many years ago. I remember seeing Franklins and Barbers and Mercuries and Morgans and who knows what else, and I was clueless. I actually did not even think of the coins as being spendable. They were not Washington quarters or Eisenhower dimes. Not recognizable to me as money. I remember him dipping silver coins in some cleaning solution too, lol. Cool thing is, if kids can get started early saving and being motivated about, say, coin collecting, they have tremendous energy to keep at it. I get disgusted sometimes with it myself.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I hide almost all but the pennies and nickels. I let people think I'm nuts with them, that's my cover - if they consider me and money in the same thought they'll think what I have is nearly worthless and too much trouble to deal with.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Put a 45 on the sorting table and they'll remember that when they get of sticky fingers age, not the coins.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:40 pm

:lol: :lol: put'em to work.. are you kidding...
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 pm

68Camaro wrote:I hide almost all but the pennies and nickels. I let people think I'm nuts with them, that's my cover - if they consider me and money in the same thought they'll think what I have is nearly worthless and too much trouble to deal with.

Great minds think alike. Pennies get no respect, so when the kid has his buddies over to play poker in the basement, I leave the Ryedale out with a jug of Lincolns. I gave them a demonstration of how the machine worked one time, and all the eye rolling let me know I was safe. :thumbup:

Silver colored coins have too much of a psychological impact on people, so those always get locked up in a cabinet before company comes over.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

I have pennies visible, but nothing else. I also burn all the wrappers and boxes that I don't keep. Great fire starter for the fire pit.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 pm

I hide everything. Even pennies. I figure nobody will break in to steal boxes of pennies, but if they see hundreds of dollars of pennies sitting around, they may wonder what I have in higher denomination coin and/or cash laying around.

I also hide it when bringing it into the house. All coin wrappers are put into black garbage bags that are not put out to the curb until the morning of garbage day. I don't want any potential garbage pickers overnight finding them.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:04 am

As tempting as it might be to tell them, you probably shouldn't. It's fun to show off, but it's a bad idea. I already wish I had told less people, and I've basically only told my family (you never know who they might tell).
JerrySpringer wrote:They were not Washington quarters or Eisenhower dimes. Not recognizable to me as money.

First Truman dimes, now Ikes. I never knew there were so many modern varieties!
Last edited by scyther on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mishra142 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I agree it should be kept out of sight out of mind as much as possible. Especially the halves. Ill just have to stick to sorting pennies when kids are over and embrace the crazy penny guy persona :)
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Saabman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

agmoose wrote:I have pennies visible, but nothing else. I also burn all the wrappers and boxes that I don't keep. Great fire starter for the fire pit.

+1
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 am

agmoose wrote:I have pennies visible, but nothing else. I also burn all the wrappers and boxes that I don't keep. Great fire starter for the fire pit.

+1
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

scyther wrote:As tempting as it might be to tell them, you probably shouldn't. It's fun to show off, but it's a bad idea. I already wish I had told less people, and I've basically only told my family (you never know who they might tell).

that's the problem. Kids talk... and that gossip can go ANYWHERE :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OtusLotus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:24 pm

I have no problem showing everyone all of the pennies I have collected... Heck... They always ask me what the heck I have saved them for, and then I give them a little demonstration. They look at me like I am nuts... I look at them like THEY are nuts.. and we then go and drink a beer!

I have only showed one friend some of the silver I have collected.. but most of my stuff is in a safety deposit box.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm

beauanderos wrote:that's the problem. Kids talk... and that gossip can go ANYWHERE :?

Ya and I prefer to be a hermit when it comes to my PM's, only my fiance knows of and where they are. I sort/stack in private.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals