cool find maybe error

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

cool find maybe error

Postby Frank t » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 pm

so i got a 1974 copper with opposite edges shaved off. just a tiny bit off the bottom not even the whole rim. the top side is pretty deep almost down to his head is gone. the coin is in good shape its just missing a little off the top and bottom. i was thinking planchet error and i looked it up. it kinda looks like it but the details around the missing portions are fine(some kinda effect they described) no bulging metal or edges or obvious sanding marks to make me think someone other than the mint did it. any idea what i have no pictures either ive been trying for two days. damn being computer illiterate.
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Re: cool find maybe error

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Sounds like PostMintDamage(PMD). But you never know without a picture. Try to google penny error images and see if you find something similar. :thumbup:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Frank t » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 pm

it looks like a double clipped lincoln ex.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Clipped- ... 27ce725b2c
exactly like the bottom of that coin. really shallow hunks of coin missing on top and bottom. who wants it. lol.
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby galenrog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

I find clipped coins on a fairly regular basis. Mostly cents, nicks, dimes. Most have very minor pre-mint damage that would get by most automated equipment. Also have found a few that were altered post-mint. Very cool addition to collections.
Last edited by galenrog on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Frank t » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:10 am

im no expert but it appears to be mint damage, it is smooth and no damage near the missing pieces. post mint damage should leave some evidence the way i see it.
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:15 am

Frank t wrote:im no expert but it appears to be mint damage, it is smooth and no damage near the missing pieces. post mint damage should leave some evidence the way i see it.

Looking forward to your pics! That is, when you finally figure out how to do it. I think I went out and celebrated when I learned how to myself!!!! I got a little tipsy!!! :shh:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Frank t » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 pm

rofl ill try
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing