What?!......"Cyprus?"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What?!......"Cyprus?"

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:44 pm

unless i'm dreamng...or on some new bizarre medicine, just reading of bad breaking news from Cyprus.....

there's a rush to withdraw funds, based on a new 9.9% tax on Cypriot deposits over 100K EUR.....6.75% below 100k

THIS is hitting the Euro BAD, and the implied opening of the SnP will be 30 pts lower! (?)

here's the zh article http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-17/fx-market-opens-eur-hammered-chf-bid-sp-open-30pts

now wt heck is this?

are they just blowing this out of proportion?........y'know a 30 point lower SnP opening isnt just some minor "sell off".....and since it involves the USD (presumably trading significantly HIGHER) is this raison det tray, these humps are going to use to sit on PM's?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: What?!......"Cyprus?"

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:12 pm

This is extremely bad. Precedent setting. Anyone in the world with money in the bank can be robbed, with no warning. Bad.

Edited for spelling, college-dropout.
Last edited by OneBiteAtATime on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby doug » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm

I read that yesterday. Sure makes you want to clean out all of your accounts, doesn't it?

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:03 pm

I know in am safe after watching this. :mrgreen:
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Higher dollar equals cheaper PMs to stack. :)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Engineer wrote:Higher dollar equals cheaper PMs to stack. :)

OR European Meltdown equals higher PM's due to uncertainty.

Which way did he go, George? Which way did he go?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 pm

neil...
We have been commenting on this in another post:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22452

Do the politicians really think that people are going to buy the fact that this was "suddenly" agreed to just before what is a 3 day weekend in their country?

BS!!

THIS WAS PLANNED TO BE ANNOUNCED AT THIS TIME!
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:50 pm

i dont know what the heck i was doing this weekend...i do remember FRIDAY talking to my brother, saying "i got this feeling, since everything and everybody is, including us, doom and gloom, the contrary move is that we move higher, a period of wealth"....i was actually frigging sayin that....Friday.....i'm the ultimate fade, an idiot.

i fancy myself staying on top of stuff...wrong! i just saw this an hour ago, and check this out; Cypriot banks are notorious for being "parking lots" for Russian hot money, oliogarchs, right?....this is JUST the kind of bolt of the blue thing, that could start WW3.

to wit, the EU, eurozone wants to test case, such a "bail IN", and they dont think twice about rogering a bunch of russian oliogarchs, coz who gives a shite about them OR Cypriots...ok?....well, i dont know about you, but the last people's group i would ever want to mess with, or THEIR money are Russian oliogarchs...i mean these guys play rough, remember what they did to that git who turned traitor?....feed him a radioactive polonium cocktail...or remember that Ukrainian presidential candidate?...the one who started the race kind of good looking fellow....remember what happened to him?...his face looked like he had drano facial...lemme find the before and after.....coz these guys still have a boatload of nukes, and only God knows who ACTUALLY has the launch codes.

Here's Viktor Yushchenko, the before and after the russians did this: Yushchenko was confirmed to have ingested hazardous amounts of TCDD,[1] the most potent dioxin and a contaminant in Agent Orange.

here's the article where i read that Cyprus is russia hot money banking center:
http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/20 ... des-cyprus

could be a bumpy ride, coz now EVERYBODY on the planet is wondering, "is MY money safe?" Reason number 95 to keep stacking.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Z00 wrote:neil...
We have been commenting on this in another post:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22452

Do the politicians really think that people are going to buy the fact that this was "suddenly" agreed to just before what is a 3 day weekend in their country?

BS!!

THIS WAS PLANNED TO BE ANNOUNCED AT THIS TIME!

amen! you're right.....man! son of a b#tches the lot of 'em!....like i said, this is JUST the kind of thing with the potential to tip, or trigger WW3, God forbid....coz you think......what actually started ww1?....its kind of murky......nobody REALLY knows....but start messing with russian hot money?

maybe thats how these sons of the devil want the whole thing to play out....they DONT CARE who dies.

damn! i REALLY thought it was going to be a good summer, a good growing season...maybe a good baseball year, etc...and now it might be a Mad Max winter come 4th quarter 2013!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 pm

No worries.. I read that the monies taken will be given back as stock in the banks that have taken the money... what could go wrong with that?
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Well precious metals seem to like the news, been blasting off since the overnight market opened!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:47 pm

"The government also extended a bank holiday that was put in place to try to stop a run on the banks. The holiday was supposed to end Monday night. Now, banks will not be opening their doors Tuesday, as planned. There was talk that they might not open Wednesday, either. "

RIGHT ... I thought so.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:06 pm

This is gonna get ugly.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Because of the Russian money angle, the step to seize deposits might be glossed over. On the other hand, there is a great risk that what has happened is a turning point in modern finance. I’m not aware of any precedent for what has occurred. I say again, if this had happened in any other country in Europe – the monetary union would be dead within months. That possibility still exists, even though it was just crooked Russian money that was stolen. We shall see the market’s reaction in a matter of hours – I can’t wait.

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/20 ... des-cyprus
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:27 pm

agmoose wrote:This is gonna get ugly.

whoa....indeed it is, the alt financial press is just lighting up. When i first heard of all this, several hours ago and felt that shiver of fear, i thought i might be making too big a deal out the whole thing.

not so, check this out:

It is difficult to describe the weekend bailout package to Cyprus in any other way. The confiscation of 6.75 percent of small depositors' money and 9.9 percent of big depositors' funds is without precedence that I can think of in a supposedly civilised and democratic society. But maybe the European Union (EU) is no longer a civilised democracy?

I heard rumours about this when I visited Limassol last week, but dismissed them as completely outlandish. And yet, here we are. The consequences are unpredictable, but we are clearly looking at a significant paradigm shift.

This is a breach of fundamental property rights, dictated to a small country by foreign powers and it must make every bank depositor in Europe shiver. Although the representatives at the bailout press conference tried to present this as a one-off, they were not willing to rule out similar measures elsewhere - not that it would have mattered much as the trust is gone anyway. It is now difficult to expect any kind of limitation to what measures the Troika and EU might take when the crisis really starts to bite.

If you can do this once, you can do it again. if you can confiscate 10 percent of a bank customer's money, you can confiscate 25, 50 or even 100 percent. I now believe we will see worse as the panic increases, with politicians desperately trying to keep the EUR alive

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-1 ... t-happened
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:31 pm

I was out on the Harley all day, so I'm just catching upon this news. This is far worse than the US news outlets will let on.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 pm

:shh: Do you have a few hundred dollars in cash? :shh: If not, you might want to get some cash this week and stick it in a lockbox somewhere safe. :shh:
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:35 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote::shh: Do you have a few hundred dollars in cash? :shh: If not, you might want to get some cash this week and stick it in a lockbox somewhere safe. :shh:

ALWAYS sound advice my brother.....thats the default settng...i just thought we MIGHT get a rather uneventful, non drought growing season this summer...now?...all i can say is, at least the snow pack is still intact, and God willing we wont drought up this year.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote::shh: Do you have a few hundred dollars in cash? :shh: If not, you might want to get some cash this week and stick it in a lockbox somewhere safe. :shh:

Just drained the ATM for $500. Will do so again tomorrow. :thumbdown:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Country » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I was thinking what might be the Russian response. Perhaps, a PALLADIUM shortage soon. Perhaps, some troubles with the pipeline to Europe. :geek:

$USD very strong tonight - up 70 basis points.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 pm

I've never been happier about having 80 cents in my checking account. :thumbup:

Look for a US Bailout in the days to come. Sure makes that pending gun legislation look less of a priority.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Look, guys. Jon Corzine still walks around, a free man. If they're not going to arrest that son-of-a-bisquit eater, it's a clear indication that the bankstas are totally emboldened and have no fear of arrest. There will be no jail time for major figures in the lofty world of finance. There will be no trials of these blood-sucking animals until a majority of the citizens have lost everything. Then the guillotines will be sharpened. But before then, the Rothschilds will cheerfully start another world war and rape the citizens of the world of even more wealth, cause even more death of innocents, break even more hearts. The super-wealthy are pathological.

It's not us versus the Russians, or us vs. the Chinese, or us vs. the Iranians! It's us versus the 0.01% in a death match.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:23 pm

There's some heated debate on this subject over on BS. Interesting to hear some additional viewpoints by other "members" of our stacking communities.

http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13686
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Country wrote:I was thinking what might be the Russian response. Perhaps, a PALLADIUM shortage soon. Perhaps, some troubles with the pipeline to Europe. :geek:

$USD very strong tonight - up 70 basis points.

the russian response IS what i worry about, tell you what, any and all EU functionaries should beef up their details....what i worry about is, i hope the russians dont go REALLY mental....

this thing could go so bad, so i wanna try, in my depraved way to lift morale...here's a VERY funny Trailer Park Boys show, "Say Good Night to the Bad Guys"

(its funny if you share my sick sense of humor)

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Anyone who keeps cash in the bank above the min. needed for short term expenses they will be paying out in the next week or so has a screw loose. The government can not take what it can not find.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals