Back when a $100 bill REALLY meant something--true story!!!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Back when a $100 bill REALLY meant something--true story!!!

Postby pennypicker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 pm

It was Labor Day Weekend back in the summer of 1970. I was 12 years old and eagerly awaiting the start of junior high school. Nixon was President, we had recently landed on the moon, the Beatles just broke up, the "amazing" Mets were world champs, all the girls had a crush on Ryan O'Neal after seeing Love Story, all those big block muscle cars on the road were amazing, the Viet Nam War was intensifying and many of the mothers in our town prayed daily that the war would end before their sons turned 18. I swear the skies were bluer and the clouds were whiter back in the summer of 1970 and I'll never forget all the teenage girls in those "hip hugger" pants...wow, what a great time to be a kid!

My best friend Randy had just called me and was talking a hundred miles an hour telling me how he had just been paid by his father. At the beginning of the summer Randy's father, who owned a small candy distributorship, decided to keep his son out of trouble for the summer by taking him to work with him each day and finding small chores for him to do. Randy's father told him he would give him two $100 dollar bills at the end of the summer for all his work. Though this doesn't sound like much today you must remember back in the summer of 1970 gas was .38 cents a gallon and the minimum wage was $1.45. A large candy bar was .5 cents and a 16 oz bottle of coke was .10 cents.

So Randy was on his way to my house and I was excited as well because back when Randy began working he had told me that when he was paid at the end of the summer he would buy me ten dime packs of baseball cards and all the coke & candy I could handle in one sitting. :o Randy was a year older than me and I must admit he was somewhat annoying. He had a loud voice, always acted tough and liked to spit--you know the type. And the thing that irritated me the most was those cowboy boots of his. Months earlier we had seen "The Good, Bad & The Ugly" at the theatre and the very next day Randy shows up at my house with these rediculous new boots. And Randy wanted everyone to see them in all their glory so he would always tuck his pant legs all the way down into the boots so all of the boots would be available for all to see. From that day on he thought he was Clint Eastwood and I simply hated those boots and the noise he intentionally made with them as he mimicked Clint's walk.

Just minutes after I hung up the phone I could hear those damn boots walking up to my door. I opened the door and there he stood, Randy "Eastwood" with a smile a mile wide and holding up and proudly displaying a $100 dollar bill. I couldn't believe what I was seeing for I had never actually seen a real $100 dollar bill before--just a picture of one. He cautiously handed it to me and I was both overwhelmed and in awe of it--not to mention jealous. Randy quickly took it back and did what he always did with his bills and folded it up into a small, thick square and dropped it into his pant's pocket. This ritualistic folding of his money into small squares was another annoying habit of his but he was my best friend since kindergarden so what could I do--right?

So Randy was going to make good on his promise of three months ago so we jumped on our Schwinn Apple Crates (remember those?) and headed toward Hobby Lobby toy store about a mile away to grab some baseball cards & goodies! We were flying down the main road of our small town making sure to pull wheelies with each approaching curb. We reached Hobby Lobby in no time and I had purposefully built up quite a thirst anticipating the cards, candy & coke. Inside the store I grabbed the usual--a 16 oz bottle of RC cola and a Milky Way and Snickers--laid them on the counter and then picked out ten packs of baseball cards. Randy then laid his hoard of goodies on the counter and reached in to grab that glorious wedge shaped $100 bill but somehow came up empty. A look of consternation suddenly came over his face as he quickly surveyed the floor. Slowly this time he reached into both his pant pockets and negotiated their every corner but came up empty again! His hands then quickly dashed through all his pockets, even his shirt pocket but to no avail. The unthinkable had happened and somewhere between the store and my house Randy's $100 dollar bill representing six weeks worth of work was laying on the ground. :shock:

We left everying on the counter and jumped on our bikes and rode quickly but cautiously back home retracing our every move. I remember telling Randy that because he folded the bill so small it would be more compact and less likely to blow far from our original path and that because the bill was much smaller there would be a greater chance no passerby would see it and take it. Randy felt reassured that we would find the bill after I told him these bits of wisdom so we continued on feeling good about our prospects. But we had reached my house with no luck and Randy was now broken hearted and it was obvious that panic had began to envelope him. We had no choice but to retrace our path back to the store but this time we would ride very slowly with our bikes parallel to each other six feet apart instead of riding with one bike directly in back of each other as before.

We disappointedly reached the store again with no luck. Randy was but a shell of his Clint Eastwood personna and he had all but given up. But I kept up the encouragement and suggested this time we walk our bikes back to my house so that we can carefully scour every inch of ground. Randy agreed and off we went. Two hours passed on this last trip and no $100 bill was to be found. We both walked into my house and Randy dropped down onto the couch is disgust. To this day I remember seeing him arch his head back and seeing the tears roll down his face as he gazed at the ceiling. It was the first time I had ever seen my tough friend cry. We both said nothing for what seemed like hours.

He then bent over and started to lift his leg and I thought he was going to leave but he was instead pulling off his boots in a gesture of defeat. The first boot he laid down softly on the floor in despair, paused, and then with the second boot he flung it defiantly in the air and it fell to rest with a thump against the wood floor. Randy again slumped back on the couch and looked to the ceiling as the tears continued to flow. I then glanced down at those once proud boots I so despized and suddenly caught glimpse of a small, green object a couple feet from the opening of the boot he had tossed. My heart immediately began to race and in my exhuberance I had difficulty focusing my eyes on this small, hopefully square piece. I quickly got up and picked up the object and with a fleeting glance I saw it was indeed square and my hand began to tremble for I knew precisely the identity of the treasure that I beheld and the miracle that had just occured!!!. :thumbup: I yelled RANDY!!! as I bounced that small, ever-elusive, green wedge of wonderment off his chest in the same manner he bounced that boot on my floor.

We both couldn't believe our eyes or luck. Because Randy had orginally folded that $100 bill into a small, compact square it simply worked it way out of his pant's pocket while riding his bike and popping wheelies and the weight of the compacted bill enabled it to fall directly into his boot and land to rest at the bottom of his pant leg instead of blowing away. And from that day on, back on Labor Day Weekend of 1970 (when a $100 bill REALLY meant something), it never bothered me again when he wore those rediculous boots, tucked in those pant legs, unleashed a formidable spit and walked up to my door thinking he was Clint Eastwood..... :wave:
Last edited by pennypicker on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Back when a $100 bill REALLY meant something--true story

Postby Thogey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Great writing,fun reading

Thanks!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:07 pm

lol......... Good story! I would have had to mess with him though. I would have told him 'finders keepers, but I will buy YOU a soda and ten packs of gum'!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Great story...sounds like something right out of "Stand by Me". Thanks for sharing.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Fun story, thanks!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Good story. You have a talent for writing. Consider submitting it to Reader's Digest... I think they pay $400 for items like this. Good luck :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Good story, thanks for sharing. :)
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dinero2005 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Great story! Thanks. I can just imagine the empty feeling when he reached in his pocket and it's not there.
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PennyPauper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for sharing. These type of posts really make this site awesome.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:54 pm

nice story.
fb101

Postby NiBullionCu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:03 pm

C'mon man... I gotta know.

How much candy and soda did you end up consuming and did it make you sick? :sick:

Great story!

I remember trolling the alleys pulling a red wagon to find returnable bottles for the deposit.

If I remember right, regular beer bottles were 2¢ each, pop bottles 5¢ each, and the elusive quart size pop bottles were 10¢ each. ahhh, all redeemed and promptly spent on candy and soda. :mrgreen:
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dannan14 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:20 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:If I remember right, regular beer bottles were 2¢ each, pop bottles 5¢ each, and the elusive quart size pop bottles were 10¢ each. ahhh, all redeemed and promptly spent on candy and soda. :mrgreen:

For me, as a kid in the early 80s, it was dumpster diving for aluminum cans. It rarely went to candy and pop, but rather to baseball cards and fireworks :P
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:49 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:C'mon man... I gotta know.

How much candy and soda did you end up consuming and did it make you sick? :sick:

Great story!

I remember trolling the alleys pulling a red wagon to find returnable bottles for the deposit.

If I remember right, regular beer bottles were 2¢ each, pop bottles 5¢ each, and the elusive quart size pop bottles were 10¢ each. ahhh, all redeemed and promptly spent on candy and soda. :mrgreen:

Well if you have to know. later that same day after Randy regained his composure my mother drove us both to Hobby Lobby. But first she stopped at the bank to break down the $100 bill into 20's. I remember her telling Randy the store probably couldn't break a hundred--such a thought never entered our minds as kids. Randy, in all his gratitude, let me pick out 10 rack packs of baseball cards instead of 10 wax packs. The racks cost .39 cents each instead of the .10 cents wax packs and needless to say I was in hog's heaven. And yes I went a second round on the 16 oz RC, Milky Way & Snickers.

Back in 1970 a 16 oz bottle was worth 3 cents and the holy grail, the quart bottle, brought a whopping nickel. For whatever reason beer bottles had no value and aluminum beer cans brought 1/2 cent each.

It really was a great time to be a kid and coin collector. Franklin halves, Mercury dimes & buffalo nickels could still be found in your change though not that often. I remember my father once finding a Barber half from his change. Those were truly the days. :wave:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby outofsort » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Really nice account, thanks for sharing. Ah, those were the days.
outofsort
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Cool story. Something similar has happened to me three times in the last couple years- once with a 20 and twice with a 100. I lost them for an extended period of time and thought they were probably gone. Found all three eventually. Apparently a hundred dollars was worth about $580 dollars in 1970... imagine losing and then finding a $500 bill. Must be exhilarating.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:00 pm

scyther wrote:Cool story. Something similar has happened to me three times in the last couple years- once with a 20 and twice with a 100. I lost them for an extended period of time and thought they were probably gone. Found all three eventually. Apparently a hundred dollars was worth about $580 dollars in 1970... imagine losing and then finding a $500 bill. Must be exhilarating.

Scyther, I thought about your adjustment for inflation and your $580 figure is in "adult" dollars. Back in 1970 we kids viewed relative value in terms of candy, cokes and baseball cards. A candy bar was a nickel back then and a coke or pack of cards was a dime. So a $100 bill back then would buy 2000 candy bars or 1000 bottles of coke or packs of cards. Today a candy bar is at least .50 cents and a pack of cards is easily a dollar which means it would cost at least $1000 today to buy the same amount of candy bars, cokes or packs of cards as it did back in 1970. So Randy's loss would be similar to a 13 year old today who lost and recovered $1000!

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:35 am

pennypicker wrote:
scyther wrote:Cool story. Something similar has happened to me three times in the last couple years- once with a 20 and twice with a 100. I lost them for an extended period of time and thought they were probably gone. Found all three eventually. Apparently a hundred dollars was worth about $580 dollars in 1970... imagine losing and then finding a $500 bill. Must be exhilarating.

Scyther, I thought about your adjustment for inflation and your $580 figure is in "adult" dollars. Back in 1970 we kids viewed relative value in terms of candy, cokes and baseball cards. A candy bar was a nickel back then and a coke or pack of cards was a dime. So a $100 bill back then would buy 2000 candy bars or 1000 bottles of coke or packs of cards. Today a candy bar is at least .50 cents and a pack of cards is easily a dollar which means it would cost at least $1000 today to buy the same amount of candy bars, cokes or packs of cards as it did back in 1970. So Randy's loss would be similar to a 13 year old today who lost and recovered $1000!

Wow... yeah food inflation is particularly high, and I think the statistics don't account for that for whatever reason. 5 cents for a candy bar and 10 for a coke sounds really nice. In my last year of high school I bought a lot of pop from the vending machine at school and candy bars from my teacher for a dollar each... but now it would be even more. I stopped using vending machines when they started charging $1.25 for a bottle of pop. This isn't Great America, I'm not paying that much for pop. The only cards I bought packs of were Yu-gi-oh! cards. Like $3-4 per pack (9 cards). And that was like 10 years ago already.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

Really cool story!!! Thanks!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Slaphot » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:59 am

That was a great read, Thanks!
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Madwest » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:33 pm

pennypicker wrote:

I follow your logic. The other thing to consider is that the 1970 $0.05 candy bar was 50% bigger than today's bar - even further widening the buying power gap (lb for lb).
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BamaJoe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Hip Huggers - those were the days. Good Story.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Numis Pam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 pm

WOW! I was enthrawled all the way to end! I vote you write more stories for us! :thumbup:
I graduated from high school in 1970..... those definately were THE Days!! :D
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverEye » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Great story! I feel old when I talk about buying 99 cent gas.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Captivating!
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 am

SilverEye wrote:Great story! I feel old when I talk about buying 99 cent gas.

The old blue 1 gallon gas can I would fill had a big dent in it. If I had a lawn to mow it was off to Westland oil to have it filled. Empty I would put .21 cents in it. Gas was .25 cents a gallon, and you feel old. I got mad as hell when I was in college when gas went from .50 cents to .56 cents. Like Merle Haggards song says,
I wish a buck was still silver back when the country was strong.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing