troy pound peace dollar?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

troy pound peace dollar?

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 pm

I was at my lcs today picking up some foreign coins, and another guy comes in. he carries in a paper-ream box full of proof and mint sets and some silver. he pulls out a massive coin to show the clerk, and the clerk says it doesn't say .999 silver or the like, so it isn't silver. the guy who owns it says I can have it, and he hands it to me. I graciously thank him, and leave with my stuff. I got home and did some research, and I think it is silver! mine is exactly like this ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Troy-Pound- ... 7675.l2557

I'll post some pictures of mine soon. the background is proof. the serial number is 01769. thanks in advance for any help!
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: troy pound peace dollar?

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I am not sure about it, there are a lot of weird big rounds out there. But heck you could sell it on e-bay and just copy that listing. The seller was honest about not knowing if it is .999 silver and it still got bid up to a real silver price. No matter what it is you got some real money there.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby paymehigher » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 am

Send it to a smelter.... If it is indeed silver you don't want a round that is not marked. So what I would do is scrap it, and then turn it into Silver Eagles or something more recognizable with the fineness and weight. Good find though!!
paymehigher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 pm

There are a LOT of plated/copper "big" rounds out there so be carefull. I would scratch into the edge and see if you see copper color. Either way it was free :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby marine70 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:19 am

My local coins shop recently sold a round that was a kilo of silver. I think it was 12 ounces but I may be wrong.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverEye » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Why would they not scratch test it?
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals