Props to Pops on the Silver Buy.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Props to Pops on the Silver Buy.

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm

So a gal called my dad's house trying to hunt me down. Just like a good bit of you RC folks I am the "coin guy" in my corner of the US. This gal was interested in selling some silver halves that she had collected as a teller at the local bank (about 50 face mix of 40-90%). Somewhere along the line I made her an offer to buy them at a dollar each. My guess is this was quite some time ago as that seems a tad low by today's spot price. Well she was ready to sell at a $1 per coin. I'm no longer living in the area so dad follows up with the gal and does the deal on my behalf. Gal's son (she has been ill as of late) shows up to do the deal. Dad does his valution and asked the son what he wants to sell them for. Sure enough he multiplies the total coin count x $1 each. Dad responds that he would love to do the deal but he would also like to sleep tonight. So dad counteroffers with a FMV that leaves a little wiggle room for flip + profit. The seller is floored by the extra loot. Both folks walk away happy. Local goodwill often pays dividends.

So....Nice work Dad,

Chris
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Props to Pops on the Silver Buy.

Postby Sheba » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:55 pm

+1000!!!! :clap:
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:08 pm

I see that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Props to your dad indeed! My dad always told me if both parties walked away with a smile it was a good deal and if not then the deal should not have been done.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 pm

What a great dad you have!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Buy Karma--it pays good dividends!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:16 am

great story Chris. Character is what you do when no one is looking.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 am

Great story!

Alas, it can't help but remind me that I'm easily old enough to be doc's dad. Ugh (to the age... :) )

Yeah, you've got to sleep at night...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:40 am

68Camaro wrote:Alas, it can't help but remind me that I'm easily old enough to be doc's dad. Ugh (to the age... :) )

Yeah, you've got to sleep at night...

Have you tried adding some fiber to your diet? Superbetaprostrate maybe? Geritol? Centrum Silver? :lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:32 am

Centrum *GOLD* I think :LOL:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:55 am

Rodebaugh wrote:So a gal called my dad's house trying to hunt me down. Just like a good bit of you RC folks I am the "coin guy" in my corner of the US. This gal was interested in selling some silver halves that she had collected as a teller at the local bank (about 50 face mix of 40-90%). Somewhere along the line I made her an offer to buy them at a dollar each. My guess is this was quite some time ago as that seems a tad low by today's spot price. Well she was ready to sell at a $1 per coin. I'm no longer living in the area so dad follows up with the gal and does the deal on my behalf. Gal's son (she has been ill as of late) shows up to do the deal. Dad does his valution and asked the son what he wants to sell them for. Sure enough he multiplies the total coin count x $1 each. Dad responds that he would love to do the deal but he would also like to sleep tonight. So dad counteroffers with a FMV that leaves a little wiggle room for flip + profit. The seller is floored by the extra loot. Both folks walk away happy. Local goodwill often pays dividends.

So....Nice work Dad,

Chris

You know what Chris? all day long, i read the most savage, cruel, greed-head "stuff", happening all over the world, and then i read this.

THIS, the way Dad did business, quote,
Dad responds that he would love to do the deal but he would also like to sleep tonight.
........makes me feel, all is not lost. Like small twinking lights, there are people, that are NOT consumed by badness and greed, that do live this: "love your neighbor as yourself". ....and that makes me, selfishly wish that a CORE of posters HERE, came to live in MY SHIRE, ("ours") this county of 29,000 souls in this 816 square miles...(the "tri-county" area is 2,000 square miles...and that population is 64,000 souls...its the land of milk and honey...literally, wood and CLEAN water...deep.....hills covered in cattle, hardwoods...a beautiful place)

thats a good testimony man. You know how you said, "i'm know as the coin man'?....right?.....i cant do THAT. 99.999% of the folks around here, good people, but there's no LCS around here...in none of the county seats, all have populations under 5,000....no coin dealers...there is one fella, who has a display case in our county seats antique store/gun shop....and God love him, but i look into his case, and just giggle. Its "dreamland" in that case, self slabbed morgans, a few Peace dollars.....you all would look at, and just....giggle, the guy is never there anyway.

My place is now like a "bank", and i'm around 99% of the time, but there is that .0001% i got to be concerned about, pillheads, crank shooters, wood thieves, just your basic trashe blanc. ...and if they KNEW what was HERE?...anyway, God bless you and your father, good men.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Dano » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:great story Chris. Character is what you do when no one is looking.

+1
"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves."
Dano
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 am

Way to Father Rodebaugh. We need more people in this world like your father. Congrats. :clap:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals