whats the resale or actual value of something like this

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

whats the resale or actual value of something like this

Postby kidman232 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

just wondering how much markup there are on items like this

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/0-20-ct-t- ... 20.ip#desc

ive been thinking about buying a cross for someone, would prefer to get something with a little pop to it, but want to get my moneys worth without spending a ton.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: whats the resale or actual value of something like this

Postby Robarons » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm

If you wanna buy new never-been-used that is going to be your best bet. But it has 2-3 grams of gold at best and the diamonds are worthless, they are too small and poor quality to have any resale value.

HOWEVER if you buy this kind of stuff from a scrapper you can get it for 95%-100% of melt, which is cheaper- that same necklace would be $90 out the door from a scrapper. You can get a lot nicer things at a value where it is easier to appreciate to gold spot if gold goes up. You will NEVER recoup the prices if you buy new jewelry- there are people that bought gold in 1995 at $300 oz in jewelry form and are just now breaking even.

I would buy a used piece of jewelry, have it cleaned really good, and say you bought it!

Math used:
3 Grams of 14K for item posted

$26/Gram at $1550

$84 Scrap Value from a reasonable Dealer, therefore its current resale value
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:55 pm

I doubt there is even 2-3 grams of gold. Is the chain actually gold? It does not say so I would not assume it is. I would guess more like one gram. Put up an add looking for one at spot. You will find a much better value and I bet at least as nice bling to it.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:07 pm

kidman232 wrote:ive been thinking about buying a cross for someone, would prefer to get something with a little pop to it, but want to get my moneys worth without spending a ton.

Consider looking for Sterling pieces instead of gold if you want to save money.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Both Gentlemen are giving you very good advice. I would also add that go to a few estate auctions, jewelry RARELY, in my experience, go for over spot.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:08 am

If you want new for close to spot you can find it in India. I bought some 24k jewlery for under 3% over spot. You have to be careful when you buy though.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals