Storage?!?! Where to put my new found hobby?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Storage?!?! Where to put my new found hobby?

Postby racandjjc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks advice taken
Last edited by racandjjc on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racandjjc

Re: Storage?!?! Where to put my new found hobby?

Postby theo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 pm

Discussing where to put your valuables can be a thorny issue here. It is not very effective operational security as this is a public forum. Having said that try to put yourself in the shoes of a potential thief and avoid the more obvious places like your sock drawer. Your initial hiding places sound good; just be careful about discussing them on this forum. Also plenty of websites (and few books I'm sure) give advice on where to hide your valuables. I'm sure others will provide some links.

Good luck
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver Runner » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:24 pm

I think you are already on the right path. Air-tites and fire safe sounds fine. Throw some desiccant packets in to absorb moisture just in case you have some uncased coins in there also. Now if you are looking for a safe place from theft, you are only limited by your imagination.
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby racandjjc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Let me try again.... what I Mean is something to hold them in...... a tube...a box full of tubes...I dont want to know where you live or where your safe is in your home. :roll: I just mean like when you go to your special place that you keep your stack, collection, or whatever you want to call it, what is it in.....before the safe, like if you have a bunch of eagles and they are in airtites, what do you put them in so you dont have loose rounds tossed in your safe, like i was thinking almost like a baseball card box sorta thing, but with like dividers in it, or a tube that would hold them with the airtites on. How do you store them, not where ...... sorry i wasnt very clear :?
Last edited by racandjjc on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racandjjc

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Check out henrysmedford's post like 5-6 down here..... incredible.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22092&p=207649#p207649
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby racandjjc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 pm

yes!! that's what i mean, right on the money OneBiteAtATime!! If you know what i psp is, the little case that it goes in is what is was using, i need more room now.
racandjjc

Postby racandjjc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:45 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COIN-CHEST-w-4- ... 19d73dad2d
this would be really cool... but price is a bit high......
racandjjc

Postby Engineer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:37 pm

racandjjc wrote:Let me try again.... what I Mean is something to hold them in...... a tube...a box full of tubes...I dont want to know where you live or where your safe is in your home. :roll: I just mean like when you go to your special place that you keep your stack, collection, or whatever you want to call it, what is it in.....before the safe, like if you have a bunch of eagles and they are in airtites, what do you put them in so you dont have loose rounds tossed in your safe, like i was thinking almost like a baseball card box sorta thing, but with like dividers in it, or a tube that would hold them with the airtites on. How do you store them, not where ...... sorry i wasnt very clear :?

You can put airtites in a box meant to hold 2x2 flips.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 pm

This is my favorite "short term shallow storage" method.
Attachments
short term.jpg
short term.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 471 times
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm

racandjjc wrote:Thanks advice taken

my dear Raca,what i write might on the surface sound or read harsh.....but if you could actually "hear" my voice, or know my heart...its a soft firm voice, like a brother...okay?

the absolute primary first thing is for you IMMEDIATELY to drop, get rid of this "hobby" mindset.

this.....what is calling "stacking",,,,which is appropriate for us, to use a verbal shorthand, is not an investment.Its "currency insurance"...in much the same vein, as when you are, by law, compelled to take out insurance on your car of house....what i'm doing is taking frn;s (federal reserve notes, called "cash", whether in paper form, or in 1's or 0's in the cyber world, that shows up on your bank balance account)...you're taking these frn's OUT of the 'system", out of circulation, out of their current progressively debased state, and transfering them to physical hard currency, HELD and SECURED by you, this hard currency, as i see it is pre-1965 American 90% silver coinage, dime, quarters, halves......1965-70 American 40% silver coinage, Half dollars, and 1971-74 Ike 40% silver dollars. 1878-1921 Morgan 90% silver dollars, and 1920's era Peace dollars, 90% silver as well. I also stack .999 silver American silver eagles, 1986-2013.....in the silver coinage,they all have one thing in common,they all say "United States of America:...and "In God we Trust"....i have little to no interest in anything , that isnt American silver coinage, because i am moving out of frns,and into hard currency, bu insuring the value of this currency because i no longer TRUST LEADERSHIP...

i wont discuss HOW to hold this, except to say, hold it where youlive, and be prepared to secure any holdings, deadly force if applicable. i also stack pre1982 95% copper pennies in bulk, and stack $100 face value boxes (bricks) of the current undebased nickle....they will hold value as hard currency as well.

Foundationally, i urge with all sincerty to drop the hobby mindset, as this is life or death. Some may say i'm overdramatizing, but the decisions we make TODAY could be the ones that prevent our families from starving to death, because our financial/political leadership has demonstrated, QUITE CLEARLY they are morally and intellectually bankrupt , leading the country on a path of ruin...and this just didnt start in nov of 08, when President Obama was elected, both "parties" have failed their oaths, but rather than fix our attentions on that. We must change the CD, and adopt a new paradigm of personal fiscal responsibility...anything less would be to fail our precious families, which is a much larger concept than a mere "hobby.....i beg you not to mis-interpet what i wrote, it was wrote in warm fraternal sentiments, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Neil, I often refer to this as a hobby - although you know I agree with you're point of view here wholeheartedly. racandjjc is pretty new here, has less than 50 posts. Let's let them feel us out a little bit.

I know from time to time I have to "check out". I cannot stay focused on the future at all times. About 2 years ago, I felt so stressed, I literally felt like I was going to have a stroke! My neck ached, the blood vessels bulging in my neck, my eyes hazed like after the first sip of a bender. I completely "checked out" for about 3 months. No reading, studying, listening, thinking about what is to come. I just couldn't anymore. I recovered mentally, physically, and buckled back down.

But even today, literally today! I referred to my stacking as a "hobby". Mostly because I have no interest in attracting any more attention than I already get (I'm a pretty good looking guy. :lol: )
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Jaredmac11 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 pm

The only way to do it would be in a heavy safe bolted to the floor in your home. I wouldn't trust a bank and I wouldn't trust myself to bury it.

The fake hollowed book on the bookshelf always had a sort of awesome feel to it though...
Jaredmac11

Postby theo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 pm

racandjjc wrote:Let me try again.... what I Mean is something to hold them in...... a tube...a box full of tubes..I dont want to know where you live or where your safe is in your home. :roll: I just mean like when you go to your special place that you keep your stack, collection, or whatever you want to call it, what is it in.....before the safe, like if you have a bunch of eagles and they are in airtites, what do you put them in so you dont have loose rounds tossed in your safe, like i was thinking almost like a baseball card box sorta thing, but with like dividers in it, or a tube that would hold them with the airtites on. How do you store them, not where ...... sorry i wasnt very clear :?

Like many of us on this site I have this little penny problem. ;) I've found that the re closeable Brinks penny boxes are great for holding all types of coins. They are stackable and can hold $25 in pennies (of course), $72 in nickels or up to 200 ounces of silver.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 am

What are ya'll storing? What are ya'll stacking? Put the money in the bank and sleep good at night knowing it is safe.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby racandjjc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:57 am

You can put airtites in a box meant to hold 2x2 flips.[/quote]

cool, thats what i mean thank you! and not to expensive.
:thumbup:
racandjjc

Postby racandjjc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:58 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:This is my favorite "short term shallow storage" method.

Sweet, i have one of these... and it has that cool look to it as well :thumbup:
racandjjc

Postby racandjjc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:08 am

neilgin1 wrote:

my dear Raca,what i write might on the surface sound or read harsh.....but if you could actually "hear" my voice, or know my heart...its a soft firm voice, like a brother...okay?

the absolute primary first thing is for you IMMEDIATELY to drop, get rid of this "hobby" mindset.

this.....what is calling "stacking",,,,which is appropriate for us, to use a verbal shorthand, is not an investment.Its "currency insurance"...in much the same vein, as when you are, by law, compelled to take out insurance on your car of house....what i'm doing is taking frn;s (federal reserve notes, called "cash", whether in paper form, or in 1's or 0's in the cyber world, that shows up on your bank balance account)...you're taking these frn's OUT of the 'system", out of circulation, out of their current progressively debased state, and transfering them to physical hard currency, HELD and SECURED by you, this hard currency, as i see it is pre-1965 American 90% silver coinage, dime, quarters, halves......1965-70 American 40% silver coinage, Half dollars, and 1971-74 Ike 40% silver dollars. 1878-1921 Morgan 90% silver dollars, and 1920's era Peace dollars, 90% silver as well. I also stack .999 silver American silver eagles, 1986-2013.....in the silver coinage,they all have one thing in common,they all say "United States of America:...and "In God we Trust"....i have little to no interest in anything , that isnt American silver coinage, because i am moving out of frns,and into hard currency, bu insuring the value of this currency because i no longer TRUST LEADERSHIP...

i wont discuss HOW to hold this, except to say, hold it where youlive, and be prepared to secure any holdings, deadly force if applicable. i also stack pre1982 95% copper pennies in bulk, and stack $100 face value boxes (bricks) of the current undebased nickle....they will hold value as hard currency as well.

Foundationally, i urge with all sincerty to drop the hobby mindset, as this is life or death. Some may say i'm overdramatizing, but the decisions we make TODAY could be the ones that prevent our families from starving to death, because our financial/political leadership has demonstrated, QUITE CLEARLY they are morally and intellectually bankrupt , leading the country on a path of ruin...and this just didnt start in nov of 08, when President Obama was elected, both "parties" have failed their oaths, but rather than fix our attentions on that. We must change the CD, and adopt a new paradigm of personal fiscal responsibility...anything less would be to fail our precious families, which is a much larger concept than a mere "hobby.....i beg you not to mis-interpet what i wrote, it was wrote in warm fraternal sentiments, neil

Neil,
As i agree, and wow OneBiteAtATime said it perfect! thats how i feel... but let me also add, I think it can be all that and still be a hobby right? and here was the bigger problem, all that you wrote would not have fit in the subject line. and a better descriptive word i could not think of at the time.
But i would like to add i enjoy ready all your posts.
racandjjc

Postby racandjjc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 am

theo wrote:
racandjjc wrote:Let me try again.... what I Mean is something to hold them in...... a tube...a box full of tubes..I dont want to know where you live or where your safe is in your home. :roll: I just mean like when you go to your special place that you keep your stack, collection, or whatever you want to call it, what is it in.....before the safe, like if you have a bunch of eagles and they are in airtites, what do you put them in so you dont have loose rounds tossed in your safe, like i was thinking almost like a baseball card box sorta thing, but with like dividers in it, or a tube that would hold them with the airtites on. How do you store them, not where ...... sorry i wasnt very clear :?

Like many of us on this site I have this little penny problem. ;) I've found that the re closeable Brinks penny boxes are great for holding all types of coins. They are stackable and can hold $25 in pennies (of course), $72 in nickels or up to 200 ounces of silver.

Ahhh i like that and the price is right!! i sort pennys as well, so i have a few empty boxes layin around! thanks
racandjjc

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 pm

racandjjc wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:

Neil,
As i agree, and wow OneBiteAtATime said it perfect! thats how i feel... but let me also add, I think it can be all that and still be a hobby right? and here was the bigger problem, all that you wrote would not have fit in the subject line. and a better descriptive word i could not think of at the time.
But i would like to add i enjoy ready all your posts.

thank you my bru.....and i SURE hope you KNOW the brotherly love i wrote it in.....you know that, you got to! (dont worry, my whole family thinks i'm too intense....lol...WELL, SOMEBODYS GOT TO BE!!...especially when them walking dead come crawling over the fricking wire!!! lol!)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:53 pm

This here would work............. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=1pYqquG27pg
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby racandjjc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey catfish, that was unreal!!! :o super cool but im guessing a bit on the more expensive side lol.. And thanks a lot for the link but can you please explain why it is that i started with that video and 20 minutes later i am watching worlds worst farm equipment crashes? :lol: lmao.... YouTube really needs to fix that "related links" :roll: I remember one time i searched aluminum can crushers, and about an hour later i was learning how to make a windmill out of a old cordless drill :shock: and why is it that almost every time..... at the very end of it all..... .i end on...... epic fails and or people of walmart? lmao :clap: that does happen to you to right? :shock:
racandjjc

Postby Thogey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:51 pm

I always end up watching laughing babies.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby slickeast » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I was watching videos on YouTube and 1 hour later forgot why I initially went on the site
slickeast

Postby racandjjc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:28 pm

I just cant believe how off topic ya end up..... :shifty:
racandjjc

Postby slickeast » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 pm

racandjjc wrote:I just cant believe how off topic ya end up..... :shifty:

What was this thread about?
slickeast

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals