Flipping physical silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Flipping physical silver

Postby TXBullion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Ok, i collect a little silver and also do investments. I was thinking to expand and continue to keep them separate. I already started doing this but would like to see if anyone has input/ suggestions.

You have a devoted portion of silver or copper that you can buy sell trade anytime you want and manage it more as an investment where its not a continuous buy and hold strategy like a personal stash.

What do you guys think, anyone else doing this.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Flipping physical silver

Postby Corsair » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:54 pm

I just started at the beginning of the year. I'm going to see how it pans out. I'm only doing it with a small fraction of my hoard, so that if I lose big, it's not a major loss for me.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 pm

All of my stock is potential investment if the price is right. There are some that I wont sell because of sentimental value but most of my stash is just metal to me. Metal that I got at a reasonable price
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppertone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 pm

I hold silver because I believe it is a superior form of money. This combined with a distrust of paper money and the financial/investment system as a whole, I would not convert silver to paper (sell) unless I could be certain of obtaining more silver in the future with money received (and I can't). Selling my silver would only make sense if I could use the money to purchase something even more undervalued than I believe silver currently is.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justoneguy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 am

i haven't sold any yet, but am considering selling some bullion quarters + halves
to pay to upgrade to nice dollars.
the small difference in premium seems worth it to me.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 am

coppertone wrote:I hold silver because I believe it is a superior form of money. This combined with a distrust of paper money and the financial/investment system as a whole, I would not convert silver to paper (sell) unless I could be certain of obtaining more silver in the future with money received (and I can't). Selling my silver would only make sense if I could use the money to purchase something even more undervalued than I believe silver currently is.

If you trade the gold/silver ratio it obviates this concern. When the ratio is high, trade gold for silver, when it's low trade silver for gold. You stay out of fiat this way. Personally, I am always buying as discretionary income allows (and if good deals show up). What I will sell is the junky junk that everyone accumulates as the price rises, and on dips try and replace it with BU. That way I'm, for the most part, still in metals and constantly upgrading my stock. If you're going to try and time the market and not get shut out trying to replace the silver you sell, then limit your bets to no more than five or ten percent of your stash. Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Devil Soundwave » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:53 am

Thanks for that Beauanderos. I'm gonna give this ratio lark a bit of research time.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals