Postal clerk knows I'm shipping coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Postal clerk knows I'm shipping coins

Postby PolishPunisher » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

While sending a 24 lb. package of forex to Bill today, the postal worker mentioned that I send "coins or whatever" frequently (I probably go there about once every three weeks). Should I be concerned that they know what I am shipping?
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Postal clerk knows I'm shipping coins

Postby SoFa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:02 pm

I would be worried.

I had to sign for a package one day. The postman asked me what it was (it was heavy). I told him I don't know and so he said he was just wondering because I get a lot of coins. So now I'm thinking about getting a post office box.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm

No need to worry. Postal workers are well paid and penalties for tampering are pretty tough. If they know and you haven't had problem yet no need to start now.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Mail pilfering doesn't usually happen at the post office where people have (more or less) permanent jobs, it happens at the sorting centers where workers get shuffled around and there are often temps working.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm

yeah, all the postal workers i have ever met looked like real upstanding citizens.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cooyon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 pm

For what it's worth, I filed 2 cases this week on feebay for non-receipt of items...one was a silver coin with no tracking (received full refund), the other was a CTU from Cali, which had tracking for the first day then nothing since 4/15. Seller working with USPS to locate. How would they lose a 68 pound box? Fell off the truck maybe. Good seller, he will reship if needed. Our local country post office knows I collect coins, don't think I have a problem with them.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mflugher » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

Thats Odd, I'm missning about $6k face in gift cards also shipped about the same time. Last known place was cleveland on the 15th of april... About to file insurance claim since it was sent insured.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:yeah, all the postal workers i have ever met looked like real upstanding citizens.

Thank you for making my Friday all the brighter, LT.

I don't care who you are, dats funny rite der.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 am

I've been going to the same small-town post office working primarily with the same small group of people since I was about 12 years old. They know me well, I know them well, they have a pretty good idea of what I'm shipping, and it hasn't been a problem. Obviously not the case everywhere.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:45 pm

you can tell them you are shipping pennies. that may make them less interested. tell them something like, did you know the old ones are worth two cents each? they'll think you are nuts instead of a mark.

the real problem is not theft of your mail but burglary of your home. think that through.

the folks who work there may be fine, but they may tell the folks down at the methadone clinic all about you.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm not worried about my postman. But people talk.

I had a ctu delivered maybe a couple years ago and it arrived with the box broken and pennies spilling out (the postman put it in one of those plastic bins to catch the stuff that was spilling out). There are probably still pennies from that episode residing in mail trucks from here to who knows where. So ever since then, the lady who works in our condo office and others who work here know I get coins in the mail. I guess they figure it's just old pennies though.

I hadn't had anything ever lost in the mail until recently when something stopped tracking after it left Tampa.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 pm

mailboxes etc.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rulesforrebels » Wed May 01, 2013 1:16 pm

cooyon wrote:For what it's worth, I filed 2 cases this week on feebay for non-receipt of items...one was a silver coin with no tracking (received full refund), the other was a CTU from Cali, which had tracking for the first day then nothing since 4/15. Seller working with USPS to locate. How would they lose a 68 pound box? Fell off the truck maybe. Good seller, he will reship if needed. Our local country post office knows I collect coins, don't think I have a problem with them.

usps tracking isn't realy trackingit's delivery confirmation. sometimes you see scans along the way those are courtesy scans they are only required to scan upon delivery so its possible if htey didnt get it scanned in upfront you wont see anything until the package is in your hands. also once a package is lost with the usps you can open cases and traces but its bascially lost. i send a lot of stuff and have never have one found. they often wind up getting stalled in sorting facilities and if you dont get on them about it asap its lost
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby cooyon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Amazingly, this missing CTU showed up today at our PO. The box looked like Shrek had been using it for a soccer ball, postal clerk said it probably fell off the conveyor and split open, then that PO used a roll of strapping tape to wrap it enough to survive the rest of the journey. The two plastic bags each had 34 pounds of coins when I weighed them, so I guess I didn't lose much if any.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu May 02, 2013 12:43 am

cooyon wrote:Amazingly, this missing CTU showed up today at our PO. The box looked like Shrek had been using it for a soccer ball, postal clerk said it probably fell off the conveyor and split open, then that PO used a roll of strapping tape to wrap it enough to survive the rest of the journey. The two plastic bags each had 34 pounds of coins when I weighed them, so I guess I didn't lose much if any.

Sounds like a seller that had some experience packing and shipping pennies. Occasionally one will get stuffed in a corner and forgotten for a while.. but fortunately this doesn't happen too often. Believe it or not some postal workers dislike 69 pound packages and will either "accidentally" drop them on the ground or push them aside because they don't want to handle them. I ship a lot of pennies.. so I have seen it all over the years.. including one CTU that disappeared for 6 months.. and then came back to me. We suspect it spend some time at the unclaimed mail center in Atlanta. Funny thing was it was being shipped from Northern to Southern California. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals