Silver Eagles

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Eagles

Postby marine70 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:05 am

On Thursday of last week I went to my LCS he had one roll of eagles at $30 a piece. I bought 5 which I thought the premium was high, however I went back today to pick up a couple up for a friend. He told me he was out of all silver and that one of his suppliers was selling the eagles at $33. I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this?, and is this going to be the norm.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver Eagles

Postby inflationhawk » Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am

This is the norm right now, but I think the supply shock will be corrected and ultimately over correct in time, resulting in much lower premiums. Regardless, of where the spot price is, I would predict premiums will be lower by the end of the summer (less than $3). Just a guess on my part for what it's worth. Of course if silver rebounds to $29 an ounce even with a lower premium, you'll wish you would have bought at 30. I'm taking the chance and waiting to add to my silver stack for now. I did buy more gold on the dip though because premiums did not change initially.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 pm

The point is not the premium, but the purchase price. Will we be able to buy ASEs in bulk, reliably, for less than $30? That's the question. So the price for physical ASEs has dipped slightly - from $32-34 down to $29-30 (if you can get them) - down maybe 10%. Versus a 35% drop in spot from ~34 to ~$24. That simply reflects the lag time between converting large bars into coins in the supply line, and getting the intermediate steps geared up to produce at the new higher rate of demand. That's the reality of any market under these types of pressures. There is no shortage (for the moment) of large Comex bar - the shortages are within the intermediate steps of the supply line.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 pm

My local LCS is selling ASE's and silver Maple Leafs for $32. Yes, it's a high premium (I bought 3) but he has PLENTY of them. He also had plenty of sunshine mint 1 oz. bars. So, it's available in southwestern Virginia. Premiums are high, but I am still willing to pay it.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jmaii » Mon May 06, 2013 3:26 pm

If dealers in my area have silver eagles, they are charging $32-33 each. As I want to buy one eagle a month or so, online buying is out of the question unless I give up and buy in bulk. Best luck I've had is going to "Cash for Gold" places and asking to buy what they bought (so they don't have to resell it); got a $28 silver eagle from a jewelry store that way.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Realcent is a great place to get Eagles. If you do not see any for sale in the BST section, then you can post your offer to buy them at a price that you want to pay in the "Wanted To Buy" section...

If you go that route, I suggest that you put "WTB" before your item so that you do not get a bunch of people looking to buy from you at the price you are trying to buy from others
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby marine70 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for all of the responses as always the fine people here are willing to share their expertise. Thats what makes this site so interesting thanks gain.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals