"India Finance Minister Begs Citizens To Stop Buying Gold"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"India Finance Minister Begs Citizens To Stop Buying Gold"

Postby neilgin1 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 am

(I thought that headline was pretty funny, but as evidenced, my sense of whats "funny" is warped, so here's the ZH article:)

While the overnight collapse in precious metals has been notably retraced, the media is unable to take its eyes off the ball that the status quo is shaking focusing on the demise and what that must mean for the future. Well, it seems, the Indian finance minister is very clear. Speaking in New Delhi P. Chidambaram explained his lack of surprise at the increase in gold imports in April (as physical demand exploded amid falling paper prices) adding:

•*CHIDAMBARAM APPEALS TO PEOPLE TO CONTAIN PASSION FOR GOLD, and
•*CHIDAMBARAM: MORE STEPS PLANNED TO CURB GOLD IMPORTS IF NEEDED
So China/Hong Kong is importing near record amounts of the precious metal into reserves and India is not only seeing demand but enough to warrant further government intervention... makes perfect sense that (paper) prices should be falling - or are the planners plans backfiring once again? As we noted here, as long as the price suppression of paper gold prices continues, don't expect any notable changes to these demand trends.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-2 ... uying-gold
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: "India Finance Minister Begs Citizens To Stop Buying Gol

Postby InfleXion » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 am

Plans backfiring? I doubt it. It's a firesale. That's when the power players buy in. They are knocking down the paper price and buying up physical like everybody else. Smash and grab. If they are smart they'll unload the short positions before the physical market trumps paper. JPM could just about break even on the Bear Stearns position at $21. Then again they get free Fed money anyway, so they probably don't care. Maybe the plan is just to suppress until it cannot go on any longer, and just keep throwing money at it to extend and pretend.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Ok, imagine if you would Obama says to the American people "I beg you to stop buying gold!" then some GOBBLEDYGOOK about how it is necessary to keep the recovery going or something like that (no doubt it would be so funny just to see him actually beg the people, I'd wiz myself laughing so hard).

Now I wouldn't bet the farm to buy gold that instant, but half my cattle and hogs . . . the second I got up off the floor.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Mon May 20, 2013 12:22 pm

That's funny. My attitude is becoming "if the government tells me I shouldn't be doing something, that thing is probably what I should be doing."
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Mon May 20, 2013 12:24 pm

It is funny, but it's also unfortunate. Stop suppressing demand!
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Hawkeye wrote:That's funny. My attitude is becoming "if the government tells me I shouldn't be doing something, that thing is probably what I should be doing."

Exactly.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Tue May 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:That's funny. My attitude is becoming "if the government tells me I shouldn't be doing something, that thing is probably what I should be doing."

Exactly.

I think Wesley Snipes followed this advice when he didn't pay his taxes :shock: :lol:
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm

InfleXion wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Exactly.

I think Wesley Snipes followed this advice when he didn't pay his taxes :shock: :lol:

:lol: OK. I do pay my taxes, but not before a long period of grumbling and complaining to anyone who will listen.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm

As I recall, India has a currency problem, in which it's government saw its Rupees depreciated as large quantities of GOLD were being purchased with them. GOLD is indiginous to India's culture as a store of value (they've learned the hard way over the centuries). I guess if it was that way here in the US we'd all be looking like this guy:

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals