Volatility of silver - some thoughts......

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Volatility of silver - some thoughts......

Postby Catfish4u » Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm

In everyday conversations I hear people say silver (gold too) could never be considered money as it is too volatile and should be considered a 'risky, speculative investment'. In my opinion gold and silver should be considered 'real money' while fiat is phony, manipulated money. But...... I am thinking - why is silver 'so volatile'?

My thoughts...... Silver supply is pretty stable and easy to estimate. I think most of the volatility is due to the 'expected demand for silver' and its rarity. Basic economic theory states that a price is discovered as supply and demand comes together. Silver supply is relatively stable. Current demand is very easy to calculate or estimate. With futures markets the demand is impossible to estimate as future demand changes depending on world events, economic events and consumer sentiments. The instability of world events (wars, conflicts, embargo's, austerity measures, etc) and fiat monies (worldwide QE/money printing) make it much harder to estimate the future demand for silver. What would happen if 'the masses lost faith/rejected fiat and moved into silver/gold? What if just one large country/economy lost faith (Europe, U.S., Japan, India, China, etc.)?

More about the supply side of silver: It appears there are about 800 million ounces of silver mined per year worldwide. There are around 7 billion people in the world. Thus, if every person in the world decided to purchase just 1/10 of one ounce of silver PER YEAR there would not be enough mined to handle this demand. 1/10 of one ounce of silver per person per year would cause a shortage!

Based on the above I understand the volatility of silver. A small change in expected future individual investor demand could cause massive supply shortages. I do not understand the low price though. I surmise it is because the general population and 'average Joe' still places a lot of trust in the 'worldwide fiat system'. Just imagine if there was a 'flock away from fiat and into silver'! Where would that place the price of one ounce of silver?
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Volatility of silver - some thoughts......

Postby InfleXion » Sat May 25, 2013 3:32 pm

The Coinage Act of 1792 defines what a dollar is in grains of gold and silver. Gold and silver had been money for millenia, and it was the reversal of these roles that led us to where we are today. Dollars should be defined in grains of metal, not metal being defined in dollars. While the relationship is the same, the source of valuation has been switched, the peg removed, and now we have something that used to be as good as gold now only as good as the govermnent's ability to service its debt. The volatility we are currently experiencing is due to electronic markets allowing for faux supply and demand in large quantities. In the absence of that then any volatility would be due to a volatile currency, not metals (more so gold, but silver too) which simply reflect the inverse correlation when supply and demand relating to monetary expansion is allowed to work properly.

Because gold and silver were money first, and have stronger intrinsic properties of money than fiat currency (fungibility, durability, portability, divisibility) they are competition for the dollar and thus those who benefit from the perks of money printing have a vested interest in not wanting metals to reflect the nature of dollar devaluation or it could undermine confidence. Volatility makes people more likely to throw their hands up in frustration.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Sun May 26, 2013 11:52 pm

How much you are Underwater on your current purchases strongly influences your desire to purchase more :?
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 am

Underwater (LOL) It would require a submarine to rescue me I'm so underwater. However using the princles promoted here if you hold it and own it, it's nobody's liability. Besides silver shouldn't be bought with funds you can't lose or conduct day to day life without.
I had six ounces at $42.00 and I still have the same six at $22.00.
I lost the rest when the raft sprung a hole and sunk.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals