Gold Backwardation – The Real Story

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Gold Backwardation – The Real Story

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Engineer wrote:
You've asked me not to reply to your posts. Please grant me the same courtesy. :wave:

Civil discourse is different. I welcome that.

Cheers! :thumbup:
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Engineer wrote:
You've asked me not to reply to your posts. Please grant me the same courtesy. :wave:

I don't welcome your replies, and have asked you nicely. Please cease and desist.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Engineer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:
Engineer wrote:

I don't welcome your replies, and have asked you nicely. Please cease and desist.

That's your choice. I have moved beyond the past. Water under the bridge.
All civil discourse warmly welcome.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri May 31, 2013 12:41 pm

cupronickel wrote:gold and silver are both in contango now. The future price is higher than the spot price.

The spot price is the paper price, not the actual price of physical gold. When assessing backwardation we have to take into account the physical market, not an electronic ticker.

Backwardation occurred because people have been (although premiums are definitely coming back down) willing to pay extra beyond the spot/future price in order to get their hands on it.

As to whether we are in backwardation at this very moment, it depends where you go. Asia for example has had serious premiums with lines going for blocks at the gold dealers, and is probably still in backwardation. In the US where people are more interested in racking up debt, gold is probably not in backwardation. I am not sure how to determine the big picture.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Fri May 31, 2013 8:52 pm

If spot is the paper price, then if everyone was required to use no leverage to buy precious metals (margins at 100%)

Then technically, shouldn't spot price be much much lower? Contrary to popular belief most paper metal is bought fractionally with paper (meaning much less paper than commodity)
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:47 am

ZenOps wrote:If spot is the paper price, then if everyone was required to use no leverage to buy precious metals (margins at 100%)

Then technically, shouldn't spot price be much much lower? Contrary to popular belief most paper metal is bought fractionally with paper (meaning much less paper than commodity)

Correct. The term "spot" is used in industry to represent going out to a location and buying a physical commodity right there, on the spot.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:00 am

ZenOps wrote:If spot is the paper price, then if everyone was required to use no leverage to buy precious metals (margins at 100%)

You're correct that an absence of leverage in the exchanges would drive down prices. Even though it would crater the value of those PMs I hope to retrieve from the lake, I'd love nothing more than to see leveraged trading abolished. Doing so would go a long way towards easing inflation and getting rid of the paper trading parasites who have wedged their way between consumers and producers.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:52 am

Also, for anyone who is long in the futures, forwards, swaps, options markets, someone else is short, either bilaterally or via exchange clearing. One can be fractionally or wholly long or short.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SoFa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't understand. What type of silver and gold do you use to determine spot in this case?
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:05 pm

SoFa wrote:I don't understand. What type of silver and gold do you use to determine spot in this case?

Elemental. Image

The spot price is for "good delivery bars", which really just means they're a standard weight and purity from an approved manufacturer.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cupronickel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:56 pm

In retail, you're paying now, and just waiting for delivery. The retailer is offering a discount because they aren't carrying as much inventory (hence the wait time for delivery). This discount would be compensation, for the buyer, for the risk that delivery was never made.
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Engineer wrote:

"I don't welcome your replies, and have asked you nicely. Please cease and desist"
"That's your choice. I have moved beyond the past. Water under the bridge.
All civil discourse warmly welcome.
Cheers!"

I get it now!

You two are married! It all makes sense now :lol:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm

I don't believe it's so cut and dry. The simple answer is only yes if there are more speculative longs than speculative shorts that would get wiped out by 100% margin.

But that doesn't address that the baseline is already skewed because due to the ability to price control independently from the leverage fair value could be anything.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:48 pm

SoFa wrote:I don't understand. What type of silver and gold do you use to determine spot in this case?

Spot is determined by a combination of paper/electronic exchanges. These exchanges have the metal at that price avilable for delivery. The problem is that they only have a fraction of what should be redeemable. So premiums in the physical market where you actually want to go buy from a gold dealer are normal. Futures contracts make up part of the exchanges, and are essentially a promise to buy or sell something for such and such price at a future time. If nobody agrees to complete your contract it's as though it never happened (so you never had to have it), but it does influence the price while it's out there. Normally, in the real world if you are storing metal there is cost associated with time, therefore the futures contracts should inherently gain in value beyond the spot price, and they typically do. However, when they don't gain enough over spot price to counterbalance the physical market premiums then that is backwardation. It doesn't do any good to compare futures to spot when determining backwardation because spot is influenced by the futures.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals