Which would you buy?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Which would you buy?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:16 pm

5 Rolls or 100 Silver Eagles (100 ounces)
40%
11 Ten ounce silver bars (110 ounces)
60%

Total votes : 47

Which would you buy?

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm

If you could choose between these two options which would you buy?

At the time I posted this you could get 5 rolls of ASE's (100 ounces) for about $2300.00 and you could get 11 ten ounce bars (110 ounces) for about the same amount.

Is better to get the ASE's which may be more acceptable years down the road and get 10 less ounces of silver or get the most ounces for your money and go with the bars?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Which would you buy?

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm

I chose the 11 bars, in the long term, I'd rather have the additional weight than the potential numi value of the ASE. Plus, I think the Eagle will be highly counterfeited in the future.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:35 pm

of course ask me again tomorrow and I'll have a different answer.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Probably 75% of the time I would rather the ASE. I have a couple years I covet.

the only reason I'd prefer bars is if they were from companies that carry the highest premiums.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 pm

JobIII wrote:Probably 75% of the time I would rather the ASE. I have a couple years I covet.

the only reason I'd prefer bars is if they were from companies that carry the highest premiums.

These bars won't have any premium or very little. They are the 2013 year of the snake bars on Provident Metals.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

If you are buying for security, take the bars.
When fiat goes belly-up all folks will be interested in is "what does it weigh" and purity.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Ask not what your eagles can do for you; ask what you can do with those extra ounces.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:43 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
JobIII wrote:Probably 75% of the time I would rather the ASE. I have a couple years I covet.

These bars won't have any premium or very little. They are the 2013 year of the snake bars on Provident Metals.

In that case I would definitely go for the eagles.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby LooseChange » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:49 pm

For trading and such having the eagles would be good as "fractional" in the sense of 100 ounces, and would help you make "change" on larger trades.

With the 10oz bars, it would be like shopping at a store with only $10 bills. We all just assume that the store will have change for that, but that may not be the case forever. There may come a time when exact "change" in silver is required (I'm assuming not everyone will have a torch/scale/molds etc. to make change with and "breaking down" the 10oz'rs will require more work)

Each form has it's own Pros and Cons, so that's why it is important to have both. But to answer the question, price being equal, 110ozs all day long :thumbup:
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Both. I won't elaborate further as I think the points for both have been well made, but they each have their advantages.

But if I was starting with no silver at all I would start first with ASEs and high quality non-numi 90%; those items are more widely recognizeable, more easily tradable, and already divided to a smaller amount.
Then I would acquire larger sized bars to a specific level.
Then I would acquire gold coin.
I would then move back and forth between the various major options trying to strike a balance amongst the types.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rosco » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

I have recently chosen 10 oz bars for my self
I do have some 90% Dimes an Quarters for change. :D

The 10 Oz bars will work as change for Gold :D

Looking for more Dimes at minor Premium :wave:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 am

Thanks for your responses. Very interesting comments. This is probably one of those questions that is half dozen of one and six of another.
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:11 am

I agree with 68Camaro, but would switch his third and fourth points.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals