Do nickel Canadian dollars still circulate much?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do nickel Canadian dollars still circulate much?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:58 pm

I am likening this auction to maybe US sellers selling Eisenhower dollars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

Curious, I guess. Some of the common Canadian coinage goes for over face value on Ebay. Does that portend well for the US cent re-sale valueif it ever gets discontinued?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Do nickel Canadian dollars still circulate much?

Postby ZenOps » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Never, ever, rarer than hens teeth in my neck of the woods.

I ask around my bank branches every so often when 5-cent nickel hoarding. Last year I got 12 nickel dollars, and about 700 nickel 50-cent pieces (and I figure 5-cents somewhere in the tonnage)

I'm sure that all banks are required to send them in for melting if they get them. To put it in perspective, i found more 1967 silver dimes than big nickel dollars last year.

But my LCS still only charges 1.25 for them in BU condition. Pretty nuts.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Interesting. Alloy recovery near complete I guess. Some day we will see copper cents hunted down here by roving gangs of _____________ (fill in the blank).
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:43 pm

ZenOps wrote:But my LCS still only charges 1.25 for them in BU condition. Pretty nuts.

It sounds like the type of thing that everyone has one or two of in their sock drawer but not many people seriously collect. Its the same story with Ikes in the USA, you never see them in circulation but they aren't rare because everyone has one tucked away for novelty value. Maybe in a few decades there will be some value.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Z00 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:22 pm

One of Thogey's widows in AZ had some Constitution dollars (20) up on Webstore and they were at 17.62 when I bid with free shipping. I won it. When it showed up they were in a square tube all taped up with BU written on it. I still have them. I bid on them originally thinking that, hey 20 bucks for 17 not bad. My wife is Canadian and takes trips at times to visit family.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:31 am

I buy every nickel dollar I can get my hands on for my dummy hoard of "silver dollars" which is what would be surrendered in a home invasion. I love them. Such excellent decoys for anyone who doesn't know better.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals