Picked up a few more ounces today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Picked up a few more ounces today

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 pm

I picked up a few more ounces of junk silver today. Who cares, right? Many here have probably been doing the same thing and likely in much larger amounts. :roll:

I have been buying silver for a long time. Some months I buy more than others and some months I don't buy any at all. But all along I have been steadily building up a stack of junk silver. Picking up small lots of 90% and 40% silver coins on eBay is how I usually get my silver. That plus coin roll hunting which can be really hit or miss. Today I decided to stop in at a local coin shop to buy some silver in person for a change.

I got a whopping $3.75 face of 90% for $60. Buying at 16x face means I paid a premium over spot. Maybe there are better deals out there. Maybe there are even better deals here on Realcent. But there is something about exchanging three pieces of paper with Andrew Jackson's portrait for 15 pieces of 90% silver with George Washington's portrait that just made it seem like a good deal. I walked right in and got the coins and was out in minutes. No shipping, no taxes, no hassle.

The coin roll hunting today wasn't too bad either. I managed to get a total of $90 in halves from a few banks around town. There were two 90% and two 40% halves in the mix. :thumbup:
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Picked up a few more ounces today

Postby messymessy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Sounds like a good deal on silver to me. And real good luck roll hunting too. Congrats!
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:57 am

Very good. 16 x face is a good deal. Even better is "you hold it and you own it". Then you sweetened the deal with some more face value silver roll hunting. Sounds like a great day in my book. Congratulations.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:12 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:Very good. 16 x face is a good deal. Even better is "you hold it and you own it". Then you sweetened the deal with some more face value silver roll hunting. Sounds like a great day in my book. Congratulations.

+1

You didn't do bad at 16x, and the stuff at 1.4x was a steal.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:40 am

You did very well. 16X seems to be about the rock bottom floor that anyone is willing to sell junk for right now (unless they have a large quantity of worn quarters to sell). You're luck was incredible finding four halves in just $90 of rolls!! :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 am

Auction yesterday, watched junk go all day at 20x. Only got my paddle in the air once.

You're doin fine! 8-)
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby theshoenlebens » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:24 am

Great deal and very good on the $90.
Darn guys, hearing this and not having one LCS within an hours drive hurts :thumbdown:
When I get on my feet again I would love to be able to go in and actually look at some coins .
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:41 pm

This is a great thread. It's all about what a great feeling we gain in holding physical. Trading FRNs for real money always means we sacrifice the instant gratification of spending our cash on movies or travel or trinkets, but we won't regret it.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thesilvertiger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:20 am

messymessy wrote:Sounds like a good deal on silver to me. And real good luck roll hunting too. Congrats!

Agreed. I picked up some 90% on Friday for 16.5X. It was only $2 face. I left $1.25 in the bucket because they were so worn. The owner of the LCS is great. He lets me pick through to get the AU-BU quarters, halves, and dimes. I go by the motto that slow and steady wins the race.
thesilvertiger
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:17 pm

shinnosuke wrote:This is a great thread. It's all about what a great feeling we gain in holding physical. Trading FRNs for real money always means we sacrifice the instant gratification of spending our cash on movies or travel or trinkets, but we won't regret it.

that is EXACTLY what I wanted to say, but Shinn said it better, Two. i love 90%'ers, and 40's! i never use the word "junk", its hard currency. i do the same thing you do....Ebay....you're lucky coz you got an LCS. i don't have one within 60 miles, and even that city of 50,000, i never been to an LCS, so i do Ebay.

16 times is a score....man, if i could get a$10 face roll of 1964 GEM/BU Kennedy's for $160?.....amen!

you know what i like better than 90% dimes? 40% Kennedy's and the 1970 is a numi sleeper, they only minted 2 mln of the business strikes and 2 mln of the proofs....the 90 dime has .07 toz of silver, while the 40 Kennedy has .15 toz.....and if you were trading in a swap meet setting, just short hand to a 'fifth of an ounce'....i guys would scream about that.....okay , so we can call 2 40 Kennedy's a "third of an ounce".....and silver at $150 a toz? (its going there...patience) those two 40%Kennedy's trade at $50....worth of goods....what do you think a case of tuna, 24 cans would fetch?

nice score...don't stop. be blessed, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Today, a guy answered my ad on craigslist. I paid $115 for $9.05 face of 39 Mercurys, 9 Rosies, 5 Standing Liberty halves, 3 quarters, and one 1921 Morgan; 12.7 x face was a good deal today.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:31 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Today, a guy answered my ad on craigslist. I paid $115 for $9.05 face of 39 Mercurys, 9 Rosies, 5 Standing Liberty halves, 3 quarters, and one 1921 Morgan; 12.7 x face was a good deal today.

Let me be the first to say, Bully!
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice replies. The 15 quarters I got were in great shape. The two most worn were a '43 and a '45 and they were in better condition than the worn out quarters from the 40's that I find on eBay. Overall a nice addition to the stack at a good price. I will be making more purchases from this LCS in the future.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:02 pm

The CL ad worked again today. Exchanged $156.00 FRNs for:

3 nice Morgans: 1884-O, 1899-O, 1921-S
1 Peace
7 Halves 90%
1 Half 40% (oops)
3 Quarters, one is a 1964 Washington, nearly perfect
30 dimes, Merc & Rosies

$11.75 in coins for $156 is 13.27 x face.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals