Precious Metals: $1660 Au, $31.50 Ag = CHEAP

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Precious Metals: $1660 Au, $31.50 Ag = CHEAP

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:21 am

It is my opinion that $1660 Gold and $31.50 Silver are cheap cheap cheap! They are not living up to their namesake of "precious" But, that is about to change.

I don't think these prices will last long. If ever there were a time to load up with a 4-6 month time horizon, then I believe that time is now. The 2013 Silver Eagles are selling quickly. When the dealers need to replenish stocks, there will be another large purchase of silver in the market. That will make 3 large purchases that will severely deplete the 207 million tons that Nadler report as overhanging supply that has been affecting (suppressing) the market.

I'll be buying some gold today. I've already bought silver at this price.

Study this chart, live (and prosper) by it:

Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Precious Metals: $1660 Au, $31.50 Ag = CHEAP

Postby misteroman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 am

Couldnt agree more. Ive been buying hand over fist and just cant imagine how it wont be $45+ by years end
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 pm

:shock:
TXBullion

Postby Thogey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 pm

TXBullion wrote::shock:

Jack you are a bad BAD man! :P :P
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Thogey wrote:
TXBullion wrote::shock:

Jack you are a bad BAD man! :P :P

I was just checking through some old posts and just wanted to bump it. I didnt mean anything mean by it but checked the date and almost 6 months since
TXBullion

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Today is the first time for me to see this thread, too. If I had read it on Jan. 25th, I would have agreed with MH's sentiments. Since then I have come to the firm conclusion that I am unable to predict anything. Or, like Treetop wrote: I don't know what I'm doing. All I know is that silver is shiny and heavy and Federal Reserve Notes are paper promises from liars.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 am

shinnosuke wrote:Today is the first time for me to see this thread, too. If I had read it on Jan. 25th, I would have agreed with MH's sentiments. Since then I have come to the firm conclusion that I am unable to predict anything. Or, like Treetop wrote: I don't know what I'm doing. All I know is that silver is shiny and heavy and Federal Reserve Notes are paper promises from liars.

I did read this in January and I wholeheartedly agreed with the sentiment. I didn't think silver get would below $30 much less $25 or $20.

As I consider my meager stash I realize that; One, My percentage of .999 Ag is way too small and two, my collection of AU is truly pathetic. Today's lower prices affords me the opportunity to address both issues.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:44 am

I can be wrong. I am not afraid of it. Being wrong sometimes can be a blessing. If I did not believe that was correct when I wrote it, then I would be a liar. I have had to fight out of a losing position on metals for months now. Reading the OP, I am reminded of the market mood even then. Those prices did seem to be cheap, and I think today's prices are cheap. But being wrong in the past helps me to govern the risk I take today. That is called experience. And tuition at college cannot pay for that. Sometimes the hard knocks of life turn out to be better than the education you can buy.

If you are not making mistakes, then you are not doing anything at all.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:57 am

cheap is relative. I agreed with MH in Jan, didn't expect the drop, but it's not a normal market either. So it's "more cheap" now. Five years from now both prices will look cheap. If you waited to enter the market until now then you went ahead of me in terms of bang for the buck, but I'll take the security of having it in hand over the risk of waiting for the bottom.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TXBullion » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 am

Market Harmony wrote:I can be wrong. I am not afraid of it. Being wrong sometimes can be a blessing. If I did not believe that was correct when I wrote it, then I would be a liar. I have had to fight out of a losing position on metals for months now. Reading the OP, I am reminded of the market mood even then. Those prices did seem to be cheap, and I think today's prices are cheap. But being wrong in the past helps me to govern the risk I take today. That is called experience. And tuition at college cannot pay for that. Sometimes the hard knocks of life turn out to be better than the education you can buy.

If you are not making mistakes, then you are not doing anything at all.

Well said
TXBullion

Postby misteroman » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:25 am

Remember you dont lose money if you dont sell.It will hit thosr numbers again soon enough.
misteroman

Postby Mr Paradise » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:20 pm

My guess is metals go even lower from here.
Mr Paradise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 am

Mr Paradise wrote:My guess is metals go even lower from here.

Emotionally I want to disagree with this statement, but the fact that both PMs failed to breach their respective resistance points is not great news. The market for silver has chosen to accept the 18 - 20 price range for the time being, despite the fact that it is apparently below the cost to mine for most companies. However, the bullion bank seem to have gotten out short positions and are, therefore, no longer in a position to benefit from lower PM prices.

I would expect gold and silver to both challenge, but not breach, their earlier lows; and be range bound until some large event either sends them lower (like a market crash) or higher (like a U.S. credit downgrade).
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:08 am

I fear the Credit down grade thats my reason for being. A :wave: small stack is still fun to fondle :D
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:55 am

Mr Paradise wrote:My guess is metals go even lower from here.

My guess is that there are only two ways for it to go, so you've got a 50% chance of being right :roll:

68Camaro wrote:cheap is relative. I agreed with MH in Jan, didn't expect the drop, but it's not a normal market either. So it's "more cheap" now. Five years from now both prices will look cheap. If you waited to enter the market until now then you went ahead of me in terms of bang for the buck, but I'll take the security of having it in hand over the risk of waiting for the bottom.

Well said.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Nice post, Geek!
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

I still agree with this post. $1660 gold and $31.50 silver are cheap to me. They're just cheaper now ;) Since I approximate fair value gold at $10,000+ and fair value silver at $1,000+ I will be hard pressed to think any price is not cheap. Of course markets can stay irrational longer than I can stay solvent, but that doesn't mean that they must.

I do consider this to be the bottom for the following reasons
- Consolidation has occurred at the current price level
- As occurred at the bottom in 2008, the monthly chart of silver is now bouncing off the lower bollinger band
- Current prices very close to all-in cost of production
- Strong support at this level from 2008
- JP Morgan is now long instead of short
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals