$5 or $50

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$5 or $50

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 am

$5
51%
$50
49%

Total votes : 65

$5 or $50

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:17 am

If you could wave your magic Harry Potter wand and change the price of silver right now, with the condition you could only change it to either $5 or $50, which would you choose? Oh, for the smarty-pants on this forum, you can't use your wish to wish for three more wishes or other such silliness. This is a serious, scientific poll. Only those 18 years old and older are allowed to participate. Employees, contractors and the families of the Federal Reserve and other central banks around the globe are expressly prohibited from participating. Need not be present to win. Your mileage may vary. As seen on TV.

Let's also say that the price changes according to your wish and stays there for one week. After that, natural market forces take over (yeah, like that's ever gonna happen again while Bernanke/Summers are around...ROFL!) and the price goes to whatever.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: $5 or $50

Postby theshoenlebens » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:20 am

Going to be selfish and vote $50.
Not working right now so I could sell some, pay off some bills and buy more when it drops again.
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:23 am

Silly as it seems you have a pretty good question here. Do I want the stack I currently have to be valued at squat so I can back up the truck or do I want my stack to be worth 150% more?

I will think on this before voting, but at this time I am leaning towards $5.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 am

Rodebaugh wrote:Silly as it seems you have a pretty good question here. Do I want the stack I currently have to be valued at squat so I can back up the truck or do I want my stack to be worth 150% more?

Exactly the dilemma I'm facing. I need to buy something else, but I also want to build the stack.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 am

Since the premise is that market forces will re-assert themselves. I want to back up my little red wagon and load it to the gills at $5
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:40 am

$5 then $50 would be fine with me. Regardless it'll hit $50 soon enough, no matter what it does in the interim.

edit:

And I suppose the difference in my behavior from some is that I'm not presuming I will be able to continue buying metal at any price, so I buy what I can when I can with what I have. Price be damned. I'm just looking for best value in the moment.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby galenrog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:55 am

Buy low. Sell high.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby mishra142 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am

Interesting poll. I voted $5. I would liquidate everything / borrow max from 401k and liquidate all cash reserved to buy at $5
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am

I voted $50. At $5 it would create to much disruption on the mining industry.

It could also mean that the US dollar could be 6x stronger as a currency and that it would still cost me $30 per oz (Cdn $-Wise) to buy silver.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:46 am

shinnosuke wrote:If you could wave your magic Harry Potter wand and change the price of silver right now, with the condition you could only change it to either $5 or $50, which would you choose? Oh, for the smarty-pants on this forum, you can't use your wish to wish for three more wishes or other such silliness. This is a serious, scientific poll. Only those 18 years old and older are allowed to participate. Employees, contractors and the families of the Federal Reserve and other central banks around the globe are expressly prohibited from participating. Need not be present to win. Your mileage may vary. As seen on TV.

Let's also say that the price changes according to your wish and stays there for one week. After that, natural market forces take over (yeah, like that's ever gonna happen again while Bernanke/Summers are around...ROFL!) and the price goes to whatever.

Shin....I've only lived 50 plus years, but I've NEVER seen ALL the markets....as a whole trade like this. Ok, what's "this"?....This is very shaky, disconnected, schitzo...its almost like everybody KNOWS something is very wrong, and one can see the thunderheads looming in the distance, but human nature what it is, there's a kind of denial going on.....its almost like we all wish we could close our eyes, sleep, and tomorrow everything will be "okay".

But that's not ...reality.

alright, i'll say it: i'm at Defcon 1. Collapse is one headline away, I don't like the way US/Russian relations are playing out, that was a very ill advised move of the President to cancel the meeting with Putin....and world war 3 is upon us....and NONE of us wanted it. So, the trigger signal is this, if you see even the most basic of hostilities, between US and Russian troops.....BUG OUT. It will not stay conventional. Timing?...between 10 minutes and ten years, but its coming. It's punishment....for what? this is not the venue for that. one should get on their knees and ask God...He'll tell you....in the mean time, I proffer my prayers for everyone reads my words. n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:47 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Silly as it seems you have a pretty good question here. Do I want the stack I currently have to be valued at squat so I can back up the truck or do I want my stack to be worth 150% more?

Exactly the dilemma I'm facing. I need to buy something else, but I also want to build the stack.

buy land.....rural, with wood and water.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:17 am

Hmmm.... seems we are tied at 7 votes a piece..... I really thought all you Silver Bugs would have for sure went with $5.... Don't worry, I'll break the tie

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:37 am

neilgin1 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:If you could wave your magic Harry Potter wand and change the price of silver right now, with the condition you could only change it to either $5 or $50, which would you choose? Oh, for the smarty-pants on this forum, you can't use your wish to wish for three more wishes or other such silliness. This is a serious, scientific poll. Only those 18 years old and older are allowed to participate. Employees, contractors and the families of the Federal Reserve and other central banks around the globe are expressly prohibited from participating. Need not be present to win. Your mileage may vary. As seen on TV.

Shin....I've only lived 50 plus years, but I've NEVER seen ALL the markets....as a whole trade like this. Ok, what's "this"?....This is very shaky, disconnected, schitzo...its almost like everybody KNOWS something is very wrong, and one can see the thunderheads looming in the distance, but human nature what it is, there's a kind of denial going on.....its almost like we all wish we could close our eyes, sleep, and tomorrow everything will be "okay".

But that's not ...reality.

alright, i'll say it: i'm at Defcon 1. Collapse is one headline away, I don't like the way US/Russian relations are playing out, that was a very ill advised move of the President to cancel the meeting with Putin....and world war 3 is upon us....and NONE of us wanted it. So, the trigger signal is this, if you see even the most basic of hostilities, between US and Russian troops.....BUG OUT. It will not stay conventional. Timing?...between 10 minutes and ten years, but its coming. It's punishment....for what? this is not the venue for that. one should get on their knees and ask God...He'll tell you....in the mean time, I proffer my prayers for everyone reads my words. n.

I don't think the Russians would risk a military confrontation with us. I can't think of anyplace where U.S. and Russian soldiers are in close proximity to each other. The Chinese seem to be the bigger threat. In any event I think the attack (or shock) will be economic. Why would our potential enemies square off against a Marine division or an aircraft carrier group when they can just dump U.S. treasury bonds. In terms of technology, I'm afraid that War is already upon us; as both the U.S. private and public sectors are under constant cyber-attack from around the world.

BTW I choose $50. I think society is better served when commodity prices reflect reality.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am

I had a tough time with this poll. I was leaning toward $5 because that would mean we have our fiscal house in order. Then I thought what if it went to $5 because of paper games.. I wouldn't like that because it would mean nothing has changed for the better. I voted for $50, because that is what would be best for humankind since being undervalued is ultimately bad for future supply of a metal that is a necessity for many different types of technology.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:01 am

neilgin1 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

buy land.....rural, with wood and water.

You're a flippin' mind reader!!
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:13 am

theo wrote:I don't think the Russians would risk a military confrontation with us. I can't think of anyplace where U.S. and Russian soldiers are in close proximity to each other. The Chinese seem to be the bigger threat. In any event I think the attack (or shock) will be economic. Why would our potential enemies square off against a Marine division or an aircraft carrier group when they can just dump U.S. treasury bonds. In terms of technology, I'm afraid that War is already upon us; as both the U.S. private and public sectors are under constant cyber-attack from around the world.

BTW I choose $50. I think society is better served when commodity prices reflect reality.

theo, I hope you're right. But there was probably a point in time when people in Rome said the same thing about the barbarians. And if the Roman Empire had not become so weak economically, perhaps the barbarians would have never sacked Rome.

Read the article on Zerohedge about how Russia is in the midst of a resurgence.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-0 ... atching-us
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 am

68Camaro wrote:$5 then $50 would be fine with me. Regardless it'll hit $50 soon enough, no matter what it does in the interim.

edit:

And I suppose the difference in my behavior from some is that I'm not presuming I will be able to continue buying metal at any price, so I buy what I can when I can with what I have. Price be damned. I'm just looking for best value in the moment.

Best answer...price doesn't matter; just keep stackin'

Looking forward to more voting and commentary.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am

68Camaro wrote:I'm not presuming I will be able to continue buying metal at any price, so I buy what I can when I can with what I have. Price be damned. I'm just looking for best value in the moment.

I think that if silver hits $50 again, or much greater multiples as some optimists fantasize... that the scarcity of available supply will be so meager that it will match our inability to continue to dollar cost average into the market. Those of us who have grandfathered into the Ponzi scheme will be glad to have our stacks, as we will be hardpressed to continue to add to one or two silver dimes at a time with our "disposable" income (when we were used to buying $5 face for the same amount... i think we'll object on principal with our wallets). It will be up to all the noobies on that day, and they'll be buying from us.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby scyther » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:06 pm

If natural market forces take over after that, then $5. Buy all I can (I have more money in cash than silver), borrow whatever I can to buy more, sell whatever I'm willing to part with to buy more, convince whatever family I can to buy some, and sell when it goes up. Some at 15, some at 20, some at 25, and so on... I don't what "natural market forces" would lead it to.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:17 pm

I voted $5 which I was personally shocked by!

But after contemplating for a bit I realized the following:

- Silver will one day be worth $50, that is inevitable because of inflation and many other factors.

- Therefore there is no need to wish for that and with that knowledge I could buy a lot of $5 silver :)
barrytrot

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:38 pm

barrytrot wrote:I voted $5 which I was personally shocked by!

But after contemplating for a bit I realized the following:

- Silver will one day be worth $50, that is inevitable because of inflation and many other factors.

- Therefore there is no need to wish for that and with that knowledge I could buy a lot of $5 silver :)

That was quite a leap for you, Barry, and I'm proud of you for making it. Your vote tied it up at 13 to 13.

Those statistics seem unlucky, y'all. Vote early and vote often.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:57 pm

I voted for $5 simply so that I could relive those days such as back in 1968 when my local coin shop had a tray full of average circulated '64 Kennedy halves for 60 cents each. I remember back then as an 11 year old I asked why would anyone pay an extra dime for the same coin they could occasionally find in change--and a dime back then meant two large candy bars? Back then I could even come across Franklin every once in a while when I was paid for my paper route.

I vote $5 so I can feel young again and power 5 cent snicker bars and wash them down with a 13 cent 16 oz RC cola (and get 3 cents back on the bottle deposit ;)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:25 pm

I voted $50 because since I don't buy my silver, I want it as valuable as possible at all times.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:10 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:I voted $50 because since I don't buy my silver, I want it as valuable as possible at all times.

That's a valid justification for your vote and now we're all tied up at 16 a piece.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:52 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
CardsNCoins wrote:I voted $50 because since I don't buy my silver, I want it as valuable as possible at all times.

That's a valid justification for your vote and now we're all tied up at 16 a piece.

If it goes to $50, everyone and their dog will be competing for coins to sort. If it goes to $5, people will continue to dump their silver.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals