National Geographic Channel Show - Meltdown

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

National Geographic Channel Show - Meltdown

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 am

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... /meltdown/

Just happened onto this show tonight. Another "Reality Show" where people find PM's in unexpected places. This episode has some guys thinking they can "mine" the carpets and floor of a former jewelry store, someone willing to destroy old electronics for scrap, and one of the guys from Hardcore Pawn trying to find gold in an Estate Sale container.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: National Geographic Channel Show - Meltdown

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 pm

cesariojpn wrote:http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/meltdown/series/meltdown/

Just happened onto this show tonight. Another "Reality Show" where people find PM's in unexpected places. This episode has some guys thinking they can "mine" the carpets and floor of a former jewelry store, someone willing to destroy old electronics for scrap, and one of the guys from Hardcore Pawn trying to find gold in an Estate Sale container.

Think I caught this show at the gym the other night. Did not have volume on or close caption but did see they tallied up guys' silver finds and refinery costs. Some guys did well where one guy lost money on the endeavor as the refinery costs (50% of spot value?....yikes) cost more than the spot found. In real life, I don't think most would of bothered getting a bill for scrap sent in like that but this is a TV show and has to have the one guy who leaves with the home game version of the show. When I saw this, I was thinking that precious metals are starting to have that jump the shark moment. IMHO, it is a sign of a humdrum economy. Everything else being equal, if people were employed and jazzed up about prosperity, I don;t think we would have much attention span for seeing the Kardashian-versions of scrapping and storage locker bidding.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:28 pm

JerrySpringer wrote: Everything else being equal, if people were employed and jazzed up about prosperity, I don;t think we would have much attention span for seeing the Kardashian-versions of scrapping and storage locker bidding.

I think you're right. Also, I just got a mental image of Kim K. up to her elbows in aqua regia. I think I need to be alone for a few minutes.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:41 am

When the gold spike of 1980 happened, a jewelry store here took up their carpet in the backroom and had it smelted. That carpet had been laying there for roughly 40 yrs. The PM's were worth $18,000!

True story.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 am

JerrySpringer wrote: When I saw this, I was thinking that precious metals are starting to have that jump the shark moment. IMHO, it is a sign of a humdrum economy. Everything else being equal, if people were employed and jazzed up about prosperity, I don't think we would have much attention span for seeing the Kardashian-versions of scrapping and storage locker bidding.

Well said Jerry, a glaring sign of the times. What the masses are being fed as entertainment.

Be Aware!
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals