So why do outfits like Scottsdale, Apmex,etc. sell on Ebay?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

So why do outfits like Scottsdale, Apmex,etc. sell on Ebay?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Do the major online vendors have Ebay auctions to retain market share and try to attract new clients for their dotcom sites? It can not be for the profit short term can it? The Ebay fees and such eat their margins real quick.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: So why do outfits like Scottsdale, Apmex,etc. sell on Eb

Postby natsb88 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:26 pm

They get substantial fee discounts and marketing deals with eBay. The dealers get to reach new customers that never venture off eBay and eBay benefits from the sales volume.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:07 am

I have found that in the case of Silvertowne that I can "Buy it Now" on their eBay store cheaper than I could if I went and purchased the same exact item from their website. It pays to look up the bullion dealers stores that are in place on eBay. Try it.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:43 am

Before I found RC I found one of my most trusted suppliers via eBay and they said that while they made some sales there that they used eBay primarily as a marketing tool to attract people to them for future direct sales. (Still use them on occasion.)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:49 am

It is one of the cheapest forms of "targeted" advertising. People that are looking for specific bullion find it on eBay and then go directly to their website to see what else they are offering and what price they are selling it for on their site. It is a win/win.
Copper Catcher

Postby smackvay » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:12 pm

I know I get a nice discount on my final fees BUT if you do the volume they do your final fees can be as low as 2% :shock:
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 am

I've seen the same thing done by anime merchandise dealers, sell on ebay for publicity
then the people will come back to you at your main site afterwards. Works best if you
put a few things on Ebay but havea more varied stock consistantly on your main web site.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals