Metal Detecting Official 2011 Tracking Thread

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Metal Detecting Finds

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Rode.....what happened to that ring you found and was trying to return?
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Gonna hit 50+ degrees tomorrow....too bad I gotta work or I'd be swinging all day. Saturday back to the 20's and the big freeze....BUMMER!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Rode.....what happened to that ring you found and was trying to return?

oh man, you would never guess. I still have a few things to sort out on it.....but if all goes as expected, we are going to have one heck of a story here.

working on being one of my greatest "well I'll be darned" stories ever! hang tight. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby appjoe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say I use to metal detect over 17 years ago but that ended with a bad car accident in 1993. Then I had a neck operation in 98 because of the accident and then in 2001 I had a heart attack also both my metal detectors were stolen a Whites Eagle and a Whites 6000 DI series 3 hip mount. I think this coming summer I may be able to get back into it. I was given a Whites XLT by a very close friends sister after he passed away and I just purchased a Whites 6000 DI series 3 hipmount like the one I use to have. The reason I bought the 6000 DI series 3 was because I found alot of gold with it. The meter would say pulltab or nickel but the tone would sound just a little different when you passed over gold so I didn't have to dig alot of pulltabs. About 75% of the time when I dug a pulltab signal it was gold. I just hope this 6000 has the same tone on gold that the old one had.
I'm going to try and upload the cover of Treasure magazine that has some of mine and 2 friends coins on the front of it. If anyone is interested I will upload the story that was written about our metal detecting.
Joe
Attachments
Our metal detecting finds on the cover of Treasure Magazine.jpg
Our coins on cover of Treasure Magazine
Our metal detecting finds on the cover of Treasure Magazine.jpg (177.37 KiB) Viewed 966 times
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:23 pm

Post away....got alot of time before the weather lets me start swinging again. I know it will be good reading, at least for me it will!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby appjoe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Here is the article. The one who wrote the article is Mike he is in the middle I'm on the right.
Joe
Attachments
TREASURE PAGE 1.jpg
TREASURE PAGE 1.jpg (146.41 KiB) Viewed 957 times
TREASURE PAGE 2.jpg
TREASURE PAGE 2.jpg (157.55 KiB) Viewed 957 times
TREASURE PAGE 3.jpg
TREASURE PAGE 3.jpg (167.26 KiB) Viewed 957 times
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:48 am

Cool story. I liked the last line. After having so much fun last year, I don't much feel like fooling with bassboat anymore. I still love to fish...but it's such a pain in the but in my area and gas keeps going up. Did I mention the traffic? I've found a new relaxing form of exercise and I like it.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby zerocd » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:27 am

They is the location of an old amusement park nearby which is now a park.

I just may have to give this a go!

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:17 am

A website I have checked out a couple of times for old aerial pics. Try http://www.historicalaerials.com I used it for research and for fun. maybe it's www.historicaerials.com ....sorry I'm still asleep...long weekend so far.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby appjoe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Cool story. I liked the last line. After having so much fun last year, I don't much feel like fooling with bassboat anymore. I still love to fish...but it's such a pain in the but in my area and gas keeps going up. Did I mention the traffic? I've found a new relaxing form of exercise and I like it.

I can't wait to get back to detecting I just hope my body will let me.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Cool story....thanks for posting it Joe.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby CU Baker » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:27 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:Jonas - seeing as how we aren't competing in the same city, maybe you could give me some tips on where to search :D I only ever find a few crusty zincs and maybe a couple nickels.

Having metal detected for over thirty five years, I suggest finding a good place with a swing set. Don't bother doing under it at first. Think of the swing at the apex and imagine where the money would land coming out of someone's pocket, also think of a mother pushing a child, where would that ring land. You will find coins forty feet or more on each side. Slides offer another great spot. Staight down on the sides, kids hold their goodies in hand as they slide so work the sides and under it, and as close to the ladder as you can get. Listen for double tones when working close to the ladders, and dig if you here it. Beaches, the females rings are most often found within three feet of the water and three feet out into the water. This is because they play with the small children at the waters edge. Mens rings are found more in the three feet and out because they are playing rougher with the older kids. The biggest thing for me is to know the tones of what my target is,practice with different object at home in the yard. I have different machines, but hardly ever use the discriminator. That way i dont miss those small gold rings,nickols and those wonderful poptops! Just keep digging, and cover your holes.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 am

Rode.......Where's our long story........about the ring.......are you still writing it?
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:38 am

I plan on trying to do the final leg work today to make it complete.

Also was planning on swinging some MD today.....but alas.....more snow!
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby gothboi30 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:27 am

-
Last edited by gothboi30 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gothboi30
Penny Collector Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 pm

I know what you mean about depth. I love my Ace, but before I go high-end to other brands, I'm going to try out their bigger coils for more depth. I've been reading a little about that. It's a cheaper way to go and if that doesn't work out then I'm going to get something in the 4 figure range. Not sure what brand. I've spent most of my time, last year, between schools, parks, and playgrounds. In a little over 3 months I scored alot of clad but only 1 silver dime and 10 wheats. All of the area dates back to the 1800's or early 1900's. So, I know there are good ones down there...but deeper. It seems like I don't have alot of competition in most of the areas I've hit. But what's funny is the fact that before I got my detector, I never ever saw anyone with one. Now, since I started, I've seen 3 guys and talked to 2.

I'm just waiting out this January/early March cold. I need to get out and SWING!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby silverflake » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

OK, so last month my 13 year old goes out to the front yard with his cheesy metal detector and finds a 1943-P war nickel. Cool. So my 11 year old was out in the back yard day before yesterday with his MD and finds a 1937 wheat. Treaures are in your own back yard gang!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm

There was a park by this morning's job. I snuck away with the Tesoro.

2 nickels, 2 dimes ,5 cents (1 copper), a drill bit, a magnet, 6 bottle caps, tin foil, a bobby pin, a piece of copper wire (4cm),
a key, and an iron strap.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby appjoe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Thogey wrote:There was a park by this morning's job. I snuck away with the Tesoro.

2 nickels, 2 dimes ,5 cents (1 copper), a drill bit, a magnet, 6 bottle caps, tin foil, a bobby pin, a piece of copper wire (4cm),
a key, and an iron strap.

Ok rub it in. I'm dying to get out metal detecting but i'm under about 6 inches of snow. and a couple of feet of frozen ground.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm freakin' silly when I find a penny in the gas station parking lot. My batteries are just waiting to get back to the hunt!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 am

Way to get out there Thogey.

Snows a melt'n here. 40 deg feels like beach weather compared to all that cold and snow shoveling. Still too much snow on the ground for the Ace to penetrate through. I had three good days last season of hunting before snow fell.... and was on a gold and silver roll. Man it is driving me nuts! I have a few areas I know have to be loaded full of goodies with a VERY good chance at gold. Right now I am looking for the “perfect storm of events” to hunt again: Temp is in the 40’s, little to no precipitation, I am not working and the wife is, and there is no snow accumulation at the site(s).

Fingers crossed!
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:06 am

I found another penny at the gas station today. I brought it home....threw in my batteries...got the ace fired up...tossed the penny on the tile floor....ran the ace over it.....WOO HOO! FIRST FREAKIN' FIND OF THE YEAR! Then I cried. Then I remembered I didn't take my meds today. I stopped crying after that. But somehow I lost that penny. I keep eye-balling the dog...and she hides behind the recliner....I may have a suspect!

Took the batteries back out....I started to put a bad word here...but I didn't....I'm strong...I think!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby .02FYI » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:08 am

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME. btw i HAVE A METAL DETECTOR AND IT HAS BEEN PUT UP FOR AWHILE. iT A wHITE. i THINK ITS ABOUT 10 YEARS OLD.
i WANT OT HEAR MORE ABOUT THE GOLD FINDS. i IMAGINE THAt there is a more hunting thread I've not gotten too yet.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby chris6084 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Rode- when are we going to hear your story???
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 pm

chris6084 wrote:Rode- when are we going to hear your story???

hahahaah.....I promise I will get to it sooner or later. ;)

Its a doozie
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals