Cash & Carry

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Cash & Carry

Postby amalekidad » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Not to hijack my own thread but, ‘use guys’ are enhancing my sense of paranoia. Is it better to keep the Ag, (that I do NOT have ;) ) in the safe or in the dry wall? Is the ‘big ol safe’ just a decoy that I fill with Cu?
‘If’ I were to hide my candy – how would I remember where it is? My remember all is not workin'

Thanks
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby chester5731 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 am

I have heard of druggies and other thieves waiting in a house that has a big old safe. They know they can't open it so they wait for you to get home and then hold the gun to your head and wait for you to open it for them.
chester5731

Postby DaMangRon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 am

chester5731 wrote:I have heard of druggies and other thieves waiting in a house that has a big old safe. They know they can't open it so they wait for you to get home and then hold the gun to your head and wait for you to open it for them.

That's where a good home security alarm system would be good to have. My safe is bolted to the floor in my closet, and there's even a "floor sensor" connected to my alarm system. If my system is armed and you still get past it...one step in the walk-in closet calls the cops :)
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:00 pm

pennypicker wrote:You will be far more likely to have your PM hoard "confiscated" by a neighborhood druggie who broke into your house than you ever will having the government legally take. I spend no time worrying about government confiscation and instead focus my efforts on the best possible hiding places inside my home to thwart any scumbag druggie--and druggies are everywhere! 8-)

What prompted my above reply is because of what happened to my neighbor directly across the street who is a probation officer. He has been a long time collector of vintage baseball cards and (had) a 30 year collection at his home in a 6 ft tall safe. Somehow word got out and one evening someone knocked on his door and as soon as he opened it two unsavory individuals rush in and pistol whipped him and then tied him to a chair. They demanded the combination to the safe. At first Henry declined but was then severely pistol whipped again and suffered a broken orbital bone and permanent eye damage.

Henry then gave up the combination and the thieves made off with his entire collection that had a book value of $118K. He also had many coins as well.

So the government is the least of our worries. We live in a drug infested society and your worst enemies and biggest threat to your hoard reside within your own community :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 pm

pennypicker wrote:
pennypicker wrote:You will be far more likely to have your PM hoard "confiscated" by a neighborhood druggie who broke into your house than you ever will having the government legally take. I spend no time worrying about government confiscation and instead focus my efforts on the best possible hiding places inside my home to thwart any scumbag druggie--and druggies are everywhere! 8-)

What prompted my above reply is because of what happened to my neighbor directly across the street who is a probation officer. He has been a long time collector of vintage baseball cards and (had) a 30 year collection at his home in a 6 ft tall safe. Somehow word got out and one evening someone knocked on his door and as soon as he opened it two unsavory individuals rush in and pistol whipped him and then tied him to a chair. They demanded the combination to the safe. At first Henry declined but was then severely pistol whipped again and suffered a broken orbital bone and permanent eye damage.

Henry then gave up the combination and the thieves made off with his entire collection that had a book value of $118K. He also had many coins as well.

So the government is the least of our worries. We live in a drug infested society and your worst enemies and biggest threat to your hoard reside within your own community :o

Not to seem unsympathetic, but that story hardly proves that the government is the least of our worries. There are ways you can fight back against common criminals. You can use a gun to defend your property, have an alarm system, call the police after the fact and try to get your stuff back and get justice/ revenge against the perpetrators. When it's the government you're up against, fighting back is out of the question, no sort of security system will help you, and good luck getting the government to make itself give your stuff back. Druggies, common thieves, and even gangs can all be a big problem, and no defense strategy is perfect, but only the government claims the legal right to take what it decides you owe it and has the world's biggest army to back it up.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm

scyther wrote:When it's the government you're up against, fighting back is out of the question, no sort of security system will help you, and good luck getting the government to make itself give your stuff back.

There's no guarantee all of your stuff will make it to the station, either. We've all heard about cops confiscating booze or fireworks from kids, and taking most of it home for themselves. The same cops could pocket half of your stack/ammo/etc. before it's put into the evidence locker.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:56 pm

It's not a bad idea to keep a record of the amount you paid and the date. Worst case scenario you have some idea of the details should you ever get audited or need to defend yourself.

This also doubles as a record of your buys/sales so you know where you stand +/- if you're selling. If you're only stacking it lets you know how far you've come (hopefully all + here).
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals