Can You Afford to Buy as much Silver and Gold as you'd like?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How Much Silver or Gold do you buy each month?

1. I'm lucky to pay my bills and hang onto the stack I built during better days.
11%
2. I'm happy if I can add one ounce of silver per month.
10%
3. Usually able to afford $25 to $50 a month.
11%
4. I regularly buy $50 to $100 a month.
21%
5. I probably spend $100 to $250 every month.
13%
6. $250 to $500 each month.
15%
7. $500 to $1000 each month.
2%
8. $1000 to $2000 each month.
11%
9. $2000 to $4000 each month.
No votes
10. I don't keep track, but it's probably at least $5000 a month.
5%

Total votes : 61

Can You Afford to Buy as much Silver and Gold as you'd like?

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Everyone understands the wisdom of dollar-cost-averaging into the precious metals markets, although we each have our own
methods of adding to our stacks. Some do it solely by roll-searching, some have a set amount that they buy each week or month.
Others await "dips" in order to "back up the truck." What seems to work best for you... and are you really able to afford to buy as
much as you'd like to each month?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Can You Afford to Buy as much Silver and Gold as you'd l

Postby silverflake » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:58 pm

I will repeat my mantra until you all are sick of hearing it:

If the price of silver/gold goes down, buy some more.
if the price of silver/gold goes up, buy some more.
If the price of silver/gold doesn't budge, buy some more.

Get it?

Keep stacking even if it's one ounce at a time.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby storm drifter » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:06 pm

I like to add when I can. Tax refund time, I get a bunch. In december I only get it a gift.

SD
storm drifter

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:01 pm

I can never buy as much as I want, but I do what I can :roll:
beauanderos

Postby Morsecode » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:29 pm

I sold the bulk of my silver (which wasn't all that much to begin with) around $28-$30

It's only very recently that I've started accumulating again, and some months it may only be scraps. Plus what I find sorting & dumping.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm

I try to pick up a few ounces here and there, but I'd lie to (both literally and figuratively) "back up the truck."
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Can't vote as I have not bought any until today. I would easily be in the last category if it wasn't for the wife, kids and mother-in-law.... Scotty will be back on track here shortly though, the wife finally finished school for her RN License and started work this week :)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 pm

It would have been interesting if you had phrased it as buy and (mostly) hold.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

most of my stash went by the wayside when I had children

wish I could have held on to it, but proud that im raising my family without anyones help

I buy what im able to and resell probably 90% of it - usually don't make much, but enjoy sorting and selling different places...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:46 pm

While I am a strong advocate of DCA as an investment strategy I've gotten to the point where I don't really do it anymore, at least not consistently. Having stacked for a few years I'm past the point of having a sense of urgency. I still buy a little now and then, a dip here, a good deal there, but I'm focusing more on saving up for upgrades around the house lately. Stacking is an investment for the future, and I feel like I've done what I need to do to secure my future. Now it's time to start enjoying the present a little more. I'm OK with my stack not weighing a megaton, but I'm not trying to be rich, just prepared.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:37 am

InfleXion wrote:While I am a strong advocate of DCA as an investment strategy I've gotten to the point where I don't really do it anymore, at least not consistently. Having stacked for a few years I'm past the point of having a sense of urgency. I still buy a little now and then, a dip here, a good deal there, but I'm focusing more on saving up for upgrades around the house lately. Stacking is an investment for the future, and I feel like I've done what I need to do to secure my future. Now it's time to start enjoying the present a little more. I'm OK with my stack not weighing a megaton, but I'm not trying to be rich, just prepared.

I fall into this category as well. Given the choice between ten new windows and ten eaglets, I'll go with the windows.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:39 am

The previous two posts to me especially indicate the PM health and maturity of some of the "senior" RC stackers - a very good sign that initial (at least) goals can be met but that critical balance in other important items can be dealt with as well. Excellent!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:39 am

68Camaro wrote:The previous two posts to me especially indicate the PM health and maturity of some of the "senior" RC stackers - a very good sign that initial (at least) goals can be met but that critical balance in other important items can be dealt with as well. Excellent!

Seemingly indicating that a comfort level has been reached ("I've socked away enough that I should be ok/no matter what happens now, I can sleep at night"). Balance is important, both within your stack and your whole attitude which governs
the allocation of your discretionary income, whether it be into more shiny, further other preps, or maintenance of life, liberty, and the freedom of the pursuit of happiness :thumbup:

Once you've reached this point it's amusing how you can still drool over good deals, but lose the sense of urgency to acquire any particular one. I've come to realize another good deal will always come along... certainly enough to exceed my capacity of obtaining them :oops: :lol: However... if you feel you would be kicking yourself if suddenly silver or gold climbed five-fold and supply vanished... then you might not have reached Nirvana yet. :shifty:

Personally, I'm no longer stacking for the standard reasons... I just prefer to save my money in metals as I don't trust banks/fiat anymore. :sick:
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:36 pm

In relation to the last few posts. I have been to this point for awhile now. I am also just now getting to where I can start laying the groundwork for future capitol building....

that said.... If I had as much silver as I wanted?? Id have a similar buffer zone that I have for my wife and kids, for both of our extended families. (even the ones I dont like... I guess lol)

I have no idea what the future holds, but we know the current paradigm cannot persist. I would rather I was able to be able to offer OPTIONS to family and friends as issues arise. That is what PMs are, insurance and a potential option in various scenarios depending on how things unfold. It worries me that events could leave most accepting ANY option they might get simply because it is the only one. If you can build capitol or have it through most types of issues though? Well you have options. So basically yeah, I now have options for my closest loved ones, but many good people I know do not.

We are facing generational issues though, looming over our whole culture. Even the loved ones of mine who realize this to some level, dont want to act on it. As if being prepared somehow made such things more likely. PFFFFT it wasn't long ago basically everyone had such a mindset, it WAS our culture. It wasnt even terribly long ago in the scheme of things. It wasnt as persistent as earlier but even by ww2 this was mostly true, and is part of the reason we fared so much better then others. (not the whole reason by any means of course but it was a major boost)

People with no options have really three potentials I see. Failing entirely. Taking whatever option is offered on whatever terms are offered because you have nothing else to pick, or having a drastically rougher time managing then you would have with a bit of foresight and practicality.

I am just rambling now, but I have all I need, not all I want if I had the capability.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mrrosado » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

I consider myself a nano stacker. I'm too busy being a priest. I'm happy with that though.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:14 pm

I get as much as I can! Different types .999 and 90%....among a few other things. :thumbup:

IF and only if all my bills are paid! :mrgreen:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Just curious... hypothetically, lets say you had an old employer's 401-k that's earned $10,000 but has been mostly stagnant for the last couple of years. Would you be apt to take the early withdrawal penalty (10%), AND income tax penalty (~25%) to cash out and buy PMs right now?
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mrrosado » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:19 am

Zincanator,
I would ask my financial advisor about that.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:16 am

I would like to put more $ into silver but in the last twelve months the value of pre-1980 unopened packs of baseball cards has exploded and has gone up over 100%. So as much as I like to stack silver I have to go with the much better investment at this time.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 am

pennypicker wrote:I would like to put more $ into silver but in the last twelve months the value of pre-1980 unopened packs of baseball cards has exploded and has gone up over 100%. So as much as I like to stack silver I have to go with the much better investment at this time.

Please be careful with that. Kinda makes me cringe. Don't get me wrong, I hope you make a killing on it.

And to answer the original question of the thread.... Can You Afford to Buy as much Silver and Gold as you'd like? HELL NO.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Zincanator wrote:Just curious... hypothetically, lets say you had an old employer's 401-k that's earned $10,000 but has been mostly stagnant for the last couple of years. Would you be apt to take the early withdrawal penalty (10%), AND income tax penalty (~25%) to cash out and buy PMs right now?

I'd take it out of the 401k just to get the money out of .gov control, but would likely diversify rather than putting it all in one asset class.

* gambling in the stock market instead of paying off your house...an idea so bad the government has to subsidize both ends of the arrangement.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:46 pm

FatherRosado wrote:Zincanator,
I would ask my financial advisor about that.

really???? Do you really think a financial advisor knows more than you yourself what is best for you own situation? :shock:
beauanderos

Postby plus1hdcp » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Beauanderos,

As you know, I am mainly a slow but steady stacker. I am not able to purchase as much as I would like too but such is life. I believe this remains a good time to accumulate. Only time will tell.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm

NHsorter wrote:
pennypicker wrote:I would like to put more $ into silver but in the last twelve months the value of pre-1980 unopened packs of baseball cards has exploded and has gone up over 100%. So as much as I like to stack silver I have to go with the much better investment at this time.

Please be careful with that. Kinda makes me cringe. Don't get me wrong, I hope you make a killing on it.

I completely understand your concerns after all its just cardboard when the dust settles. So with this in mind I am approaching it in a most conservative manner. So far so good!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Engineer wrote:
Zincanator wrote:Just curious... hypothetically, lets say you had an old employer's 401-k that's earned $10,000 but has been mostly stagnant for the last couple of years. Would you be apt to take the early withdrawal penalty (10%), AND income tax penalty (~25%) to cash out and buy PMs right now?

I'd take it out of the 401k just to get the money out of .gov control, but would likely diversify rather than putting it all in one asset class.

* gambling in the stock market instead of paying off your house...an idea so bad the government has to subsidize both ends of the arrangement.

I agree with both of these ideas!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals