Sales?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sales?

Postby silverstacker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:59 am

I usually enjoy waking up on Saturday and Sunday and looking at all the deals on RC and BS but with these low spot prices not many people are selling.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Sales?

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:03 am

With silver being so low, I think most people are upside down. No one likes to sell at a loss including me. If people are selling now it mostly means they need to raise capital to replace a refrigerator or repair a car. Just saying. ;)
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DoctorMetal » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:34 am

It's different in the collector (semi-numi bullion) market. Prices have come down a little, and sellers are more willing to accept best offers, on rare art bars, limited edition rounds, fancy-schmancy coins, Tiffany-like masterpieces, and the like. The exception is Perth Mint products, who, "bless them", seem to have their marketing strategy down. I've been selling or trading ordinary bullion for more desirable (at least to me) pieces for some time now during these "doldrums" and been very happy. In years past, I used to stock up on generic silver at times like these, with no care in the world toward what was featured on the obverse or reverse, but things change once a core stack is built and one can go about an inventory of what one has, getting rid of extras they don't need, dinged or damaged items, or worn or toned stuff that has been upgraded/replaced. I'm certainly not advocating the giving up of sweet deals on ordinary bullion, however. If it gets any lower, supply might dry up, I dunno, but the collector pieces will always be there, responding in lagged fashion to sustained drops.
DoctorMetal
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cooyon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:53 am

Coin shows are still a good place to buy/sell/trade...yesterday I picked up a small bag of mixed 90% halves at 14X, contained 3 Barbers, 1 Seated Liberty, and an 1893 Columbian Exposition.. the SL was a slick, but it's the only one I ever got in a 90% buy.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:46 am

What I see is what I've always seen...the larger dealers more closely follow market and spot. Smaller retailers make it up as they go along.

The guy at my local flea market buys at $10 to $1 face, and sells at $20. He gives me a "deal" at 17. Once in a while I'll get bored and buy 10 dimes anyway :P
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:29 am

I think the only listings you are going to see are from big buyers, who have ready below-market-price sources from where they can obtain them, and are
ready and willing to flip (at great prices)... confident that they will be able to get more even more cheaply to replenish their stock. Those who own coin
shops are in a position to do this, stackers would just lose money if they attempted to follow suit :roll:

At the point in time where the regular big listers slow down with their posts... then you know that supply is beginning to dry up again. :clap:

Increased pricing will invariably follow diminished supply :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:57 am

Morsecode wrote:The guy at my local flea market buys at $10 to $1 face, and sells at $20. He gives me a "deal" at 17. Once in a while I'll get bored and buy 10 dimes anyway :P

The dealer at my local flea market is selling at 18x face and I thought that was brutal--but 20x :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals