Intraday all-time high price of gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Intraday all-time high price of gold

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:23 am

I was speaking with a guy at a nameless coin shop and we were talking about the all-time high price of gold. Back on 9/6/11 before domestic markets opened it was slightly above $1,920 an ounce. But he insisted that it actually went above $2,400/oz. that day. I think he might have been thinking about St. Gaudens double Eagles, which seemed to have hit that price at that time. Does anyone else have any recollection about this? Also, if you have any links to further document what you are saying, that would be great.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Intraday all-time high price of gold

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:54 am

http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalgold.html good charts there, and no gold never hit 2400. To my recollection it was slightly under 2000 never went over.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Like many of the people here can attest.... it never hit over $2000. We actually had a contest to see who could name the date for it to hit $3k but it never did.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Never remembering it crossing $2k
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks guys. I was pretty certain that I was right, but this dealer was pretty insistent that it was over $2,400. I should have asked him to prove it....
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals