UPS driver arrested for stealing gold and silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

UPS driver arrested for stealing gold and silver

Postby Saabman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 am

Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Re: UPS driver arrested for stealing gold and silver

Postby silverstacker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 am

Very disturbing and promotes signature delivery confirmations. I know costs go up but I wonder if it was a specific supplier
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:00 pm

I think about this possibility every time I ship or order something.

Insurance cost extra, but it's well worth it. Never send PMs through the mail without it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I think about this possibility every time I ship or order something.

Insurance cost extra, but it's well worth it. Never send PMs through the mail without it.

Regular insurance does not cover bullion. Only Registered Mail does, which is a minimum $11 extra.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverstacker » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:52 pm

natsb88 wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I think about this possibility every time I ship or order something.

Regular insurance does not cover bullion. Only Registered Mail does, which is a minimum $11 extra.

Wow I didn't know that. But isn't standard insurance $50 no matter what you say is in the box. Can't you just say it's something else and increase the insurance amount? I have no idea I'm just trying to brainstorm here.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:32 pm

silverstacker wrote:
natsb88 wrote:

Wow I didn't know that. But isn't standard insurance $50 no matter what you say is in the box. Can't you just say it's something else and increase the insurance amount? I have no idea I'm just trying to brainstorm here.

They'll sell you all the insurance you want, and they won't ask what is in the box (other than if it's fragile, liquid, etc.). But in the event you have to file a claim, and purchased standard insurance, they will only pay out a maximum of $15 for bullion, cash, and a number of other negotiable or cash-equivalent items listed in the domestic mail manual. Falsifying the contents of the package on an insurance claim would be considered mail fraud, which is a federal offense, and they may require proof of contents/value anyway depending on the claim amount.

Some people choose to insure bullion packages for a minimal amount just to get the insurance sticker on there, knowing they can't file a claim but believing the package gets delivered with more care. I don't subscribe to that theory. Some will buy $200 worth of insurance ($3.30) because it requires the recipient to sign for the package and is only marginally more expensive than paying for Signature Confirmation ($2.90 at the PO or $2.35 online). But again, the insurance aspect would really be "just for show," as they would only pay out a maximum of $15 if the package were lost.

Registered Mail DOES cover bullion, coins, cash money, and anything else legal to ship up to $25,000 in value. Registered Mail is transported in locked cages and postal workers and contracted carriers have to sign off on every transfer, so somebody is always responsible for it. The recipient also has to sign for it. It is SLOW, but secure, and the only way you can insure bullion directly with a shipper (UPS and FedEx don't cover it either). You pay normal postage + the Registered Mail fee, which is based on the coverage amount and starts at $11.95. All seams on the package must be sealed with paper tape, and they will postmark them to make them tamper evident. You cannot use normal packing tape on Registered Mail parcels. No bubble envelopes either. Rigid cardboard mailers, boxes, or rigid tubes.

Large dealers have blanket third-party insurance policies to cover their bullion shipments. You can also get one-time package-specific third party insurance for bullion through certain providers like G4Si.
natsb88

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:10 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The previous post has earned my rarely given "4 Thumbs Up" award.

With new people coming on all the time this issue gets raised every couple years.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby messymessy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Morsecode wrote::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The previous post has earned my rarely given "4 Thumbs Up" award.

With new people coming on all the time this issue gets raised every couple years.

Yeah, it is really nice to have some who KNOWS thoroughly explain the issue. Thank you.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:05 am

Should be in a sticky if it wasn't already. Yes this comes up every couple of years. Understandably.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 am

Sounds like someone has used Registered Mail before. Thanks for all the specifics. :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Catfish4u » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:28 pm

+1 on a sticky! Thank you for the info!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:56 am

I think the appropriate phrase here is:

What can brown do _to_ you? -_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:36 pm

If you've never actually tried to file an insurance claim with the USPS, it can be a real PITA. Last claim I filed for damage went on for months and months. Excuse after excuse by my post office and no resolve. Eventually I just gave up, got sick of going in every week and hearing more BS. So they got to keep my damaged item to auction off.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals