APMEX is putting on the "squeeze".

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

APMEX is putting on the "squeeze".

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:12 am

I've always been a big fan of APMEX and I made my first credit card purchase from them back in 2011 when their credit card user fee was 3%. I made a purchase from them a few months ago and saw that they raised their credit card user fee to 3 1/2%.

Today I went to make a purchase and at the last minute I noticed they have raised their credit card/paypal user fee to 4% :o Of course they sugar coat this increase by saying they now offer a 4% cash discount when paying by bank wire/check. Funny how a price "increase" is somehow seen as a "discount".
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: APMEX is putting on the "squeeze".

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:27 pm

So send a check...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Retailers pay 4% of customer purchase price to credit card companies for processing this is normal cost of doing business getting passed through. Hence the fee at payment time. Why penalize every customer.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:45 pm

3% is a standard base rate. A company with the volume APMEX does is paying about 2% in fees (maybe less). But APMEX is likely factoring in chargebacks and other fraud they have to deal with from credit cards and PayPal orders and throwing that cost back just at the credit card and PayPal orders instead of building it into their pricing across the board.
natsb88

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm

68Camaro wrote:So send a check...

I did this time. I used to enjoy the next day shipping when you used a credit card but with the increase to 4% I'll just be patient, send a check and wait the extra shipping time.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:09 am

I was suprised APMEX took credit cards at all because I know what they can cost to
process and how narrow the margins are on PMs...at least the margins with anyone
you _want_ to deal with. ;)

Kitco never took credit cards, just bank wire or check, of course I always used a
check because it's cheaper. They guy I bought junk silver from in North Dakota
was always paid in cash because it was an in person transaction so I can't
reasonably expect anything other than cash to be acceptable due to it's zero
default risk.

Though it's been about 6 year now since I bought any PMs other than the 2 Silver
Eagles I bought from a friend. I haven't sold any either, just holding even.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rustynail » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:48 am

The 4% "discount" is worth sending a check, I have them set up on my bill pay as well as a couple others that occasionally offer some hard to pass up deals.
I am always looking for 90% Halves and fractional Gold..to buy or trade for..PM Me
Rustynail

Postby Double3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:31 am

I'm too cheap to pay even 0.5% more so I always send a check when ordering online.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Rustynail wrote:The 4% "discount" is worth sending a check, I have them set up on my bill pay as well as a couple others that occasionally offer some hard to pass up deals.

Is there an echo in here?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:36 pm

In my experience with Apmex, they tend to ship much quicker when you pay with a bank cashiers check.

If you are a regular customer and pay with a personal check, they usually ship the product in about 7 days.

FWIW.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelless » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Rustynail wrote:The 4% "discount" is worth sending a check, I have them set up on my bill pay as well as a couple others that occasionally offer some hard to pass up deals.

Is there an echo in here?

I fixed it. ;)
Nickelless

Postby KeepStacking » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:32 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Retailers pay 4% of customer purchase price to credit card companies for processing this is normal cost of doing business getting passed through. Hence the fee at payment time. Why penalize every customer.

Retailers are working with much, much larger profit margins than what you will find in bullion deals.
KeepStacking

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:37 am

It could be worse. Imagine being in England and having to pay the 20% VAT tax for precious metals, which was 17% until fairly recently. VAT stands for Value Added Tax, which is quite the misnomer because I can't understand what value a tax adds to a PM purchase. Oh well...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals