$4 million in gold stolen from truck

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$4 million in gold stolen from truck

Postby Saabman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:19 pm

"Barrels of gold"!!!!

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/28238870/4 ... h-carolina

By MICHAEL BIESECKER
Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Authorities in eastern North Carolina say armed robbers stole $4 million in gold from a truck traveling on Interstate 95 from Florida to Massachusetts.

The Wilson County Sheriff's Office said Monday the two security guards working for Transvalue Inc. of Miami reported pulling to the side of the interstate on Sunday evening after their vehicle began having mechanical problems.

They were then approached by three armed men driving a white van who ordered the guards to lie on the ground, tied their hands behind their backs and then marched them into nearby woods. Authorities say the male suspects then unloaded barrels filled with gold and made their getaway.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has joined in the search for the robbers.

Messages seeking comment from Transvalue were not immediately returned.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Re: $4 million in gold stolen from truck

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Inside job.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sanford02 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:29 pm

wheeler_dealer wrote:Inside job.

Definitely seems like it....all of a sudden there were mechanical issues....then magically 3 armed men appear....
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby woodyh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Barrels of gold ? Wtf
Scrap gold jewelry maybe ,They had inside info definetly
life is like a box of pennys , you never know what your gonna get
woodyh
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:12 pm

Now it's $4.8 million. They're saying bars totaling 270+ pounds. At 4.8 that would be roughly 4000 ounces...but who knows with the way this stuff gets translated down the chain.

Like when they bust someone with 2lbs of weed with a street value of $60,000...yeah, maybe. If it was all sold in one-hitters :roll:

"Barrels" was probably a mis-hearing of "Bars"

Soooo....I'll go out on a limb and agree on the Inside Job. It should only be a few hours of "your partner is saying you put him up to it" in the old interrogation room before one of these genius rent-a-cops spills the beans.

I've never worked for an armored company, but I'm pretty certain the first rule of "broke down by the roadside" is Don't Get Out of The Truck until the police get there.

And just how do you drive up behind an armored car and surprise two guys (who by now should have had sidearms in hand), exit your vehicle with weapons drawn (busy highway = tons of witnesses)...and no shots are fired on either side?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sanford02 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:34 pm

My brother, who I am close to, used to work for an armored car company. I can definitely see how no shots were fired, even if it was not an inside job....

These drivers are not commandos. They are usually young guys who have career goals that go beyond driving an armored truck. They're making 10 bucks an hour. They have no incentive to fight for the money in the truck. I even told my brother that I felt he should NOT carry a sidearm, because it only made him a bigger threat for someone who wanted to rob him, and made it more likely that a robber would fire at him. Maybe that was dumb advice. But anyways, put yourself in the drivers' shoes. Armed guys come up on you and want the contents of the truck. Does the best plan involve drawing and firing your weapon? I wouldn't think so.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:46 pm

That's why it was an inside job. Guys are getting paid 10 bucks an hour to be responsible for 4 million dollars worth of gold. It is a pretty big incentive for someone with very little prospects for advancement to help get that gold stolen and receive a couple years worth of pay.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Morsecode wrote:

Like when they bust someone with 2lbs of weed with a street value of $60,000...yeah, maybe. If it was all sold in one-hitters :roll:

ohhh! when I saw that two elbows for 60k?.......what?...7k max and they better be OG Kush, or Blue Dream, or Girl Scout Cookies with a 22% hit.....but then I read "one-hitter".

definitely inside gig, but I bet these humps are sweating now....if they had any sense, (obvious they don't, otherwise they wouldn't have schemed it up, theft is evil.) but if you get jammed up for ANYTHING, especially these days, rule number one two and three, you don't say one word to an LEO, except "I want to see my lawyer"....NOTHING ELSE, not even your name.

you also got me thinking about alt-money. i'm saving and looking for copper implements, learn how to distill, post dollar, there's be lots of PM's to be had, if you had likker,and smoke.

but before that I wonder how much you buy those plastic half pint bottles of cheap popov vodka, cheap whizzkey, etc.......in the case load. I don't drink, so its pure profit....I'm talking when the wheels fall off...PLUS, what about a couple of cases of Bugler roll your owns?....man that would be some intense profit. gonna look into that, thanks bud, n

ps...theft IS evil though, and these men will reap the wages of their wickedness.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 pm

It has inside job written all over it but as has been already posted, these guys are likely making $12/hr and are essentially trained that "the sidearm is only there to protect your life if need be, but the money is insured so don't die for it." It could just be a case of too many people talking. Loose lips sink ships.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm

woodyh wrote:Barrels of gold ? Wtf
Scrap gold jewelry maybe ,They had inside info definetly

Morsecode wrote:"Barrels" was probably a mis-hearing of "Bars"

It may very well have been barrels.

I have seen steel barrels filled with a slurry of lubricants and gold dust.

They were transported via armored trucks, and manifested as Barrels of Gold.

The slurry came from machines used to process gold; it was collected when the machines were cleaned and maintained and was sent for reclamation.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:13 pm

I believe the reports were bars being shipped to some jewelry district in MA. I think that's what they said.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby RichardPenny43 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:49 am

That's a lot of dough bro!!!
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:23 am

Nucleo exchange used to advertise shipping in what looked like five gallon pails with foam inserts. The "barrels" could have been metal buckets housing monster boxes.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:40 am

And the headline in my area might read "$4 in Copper Cents Stolen From 1992 Mazda". Witnesses were seen laughing. Nobody was harmed, except for the ego of the car owner, as the car was left behind with the keys in it. :lol:
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Saabman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:05 am

A little more info and the top 15 gold heist's of all time.......

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-0 ... st-history
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:06 am

Recyclersteve wrote:And the headline in my area might read "$4 in Copper Cents Stolen From 1992 Mazda". Witnesses were seen laughing. Nobody was harmed, except for the ego of the car owner, as the car was left behind with the keys in it. :lol:

Now...that's funny.....
Cerca Trova!!!

-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:40 am

neilgin1 wrote:
you also got me thinking about alt-money. i'm saving and looking for copper implements, learn how to distill, post dollar, there's be lots of PM's to be had, if you had likker,and smoke.

Just a side note, you can distill the old school way. Like "apple jack". Make your cider (or anything else with alcohol) then leave it outside in winter, and the alcohol wont freeze and you can pour it off and end up with really strong stuff. for a period it was the common hard liquor in much of the country Im told. Either way, easy to do without equipment normally associated with distilling.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals