Do You Prioritize Similar Items in Your Stack?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do You Prioritize Similar Items in Your Stack?

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 pm

The 1 TOZ portion of my stack doesn't contain all ASEs, Maples or the like. It's mostly a wide-ranging mix of assorted rounds and bars. Many of these were acquired when silver was in the $3-7 range, so I'm in the money on them. I do have favorites, though.

I could easily part with the ones commemorating a 1989 Blueberry Festival, the opening of a new bank or someone else's wedding anniversary (engraved). One TOZ is 1 TOZ after all, but I do have some I like better than others. The smelter doesn't discriminate, but, after pawing through thousands of loose bars and rounds at my LCS and coin shows, I admit to having a group that would be easy send away as well as others that would be the last to go.

I'm partial to the Prospectors of the early 1980s. Others have elaborate designs that would be worthy of an actual government issue. I sometimes muse what the POS would have to be to make me part with all of them at once. If I received my theoretical price, would I try to buy some back even though the price would be higher? Could I be entirely without a stack? Negative on that.

You bet I prioritize my bars and rounds. Some of them became mine after a hard-fought negotiating session. Others I bought at a below-market price. Those factors only add to the degree of difficulty when creating the line going to the smelter. Great fun, eh?
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Do You Prioritize Similar Items in Your Stack?

Postby Rosco » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 pm

Smelter Smelter NO Way in my stack to Stay :D

But plan is for the boys to divide it up at my Demise but I keep saying I'm only 77 :o
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Re: Do You Prioritize Similar Items in Your Stack?

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:47 am

Rosco wrote:Smelter Smelter NO Way in my stack to Stay :D

But plan is for the boys to divide it up at my Demise but I keep saying I'm only 77 :o

here, here! well spake, may the Lord grant you many more years sir.

my plan is similar, I have one arrow in the quiver, my son, to whom the stack goes, included with a hand written manual on the do's and don'ts of silver trade and barter.

this is just me, but bars and rounds make me nervous, and even NOW, ASE's make me nervous in light of the news of Chinese counterfeiting, that's the reason I like the 2014-15 Maple Leafs with the new radial lines on the surface.....but that's just me.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals