Silver Dime in Customer Return Bag of Pennies - Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Dime in Customer Return Bag of Pennies - Question

Postby camtender » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Purchased a customer return bag from bank machine, had two dimes, one was a 1964.

Question, should I go back and get the full dime bag too or is there a history of silver dimes being rejected and end up in the penny bag?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver Dime in Customer Return Bag of Pennies - Question

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Go back and get it.
Some machines reject silver,but when they get dirty or need servicing they don't work as good rejecting silver.
Low risk,high reward possible. If you have $1000 to buy it,go Nike-just do it.

Same thing happened to me about a year ago.Found 5 silver dimes in one bag.(2 mercs,2 barbs,and 1 rosie)
I went back to grab the dimes but it didn't fill yet,still on machine.
Few days pass and spent most of it on cent bags,I always wonder what was in there.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Did you go back and get it?

Funny thing happened to me when I picked up some cent bags today.
Teller asked me if I had $1000 dollars.She usually sorts the halfs herself but she offered them to me.
Said she could see some in there.Well after a little hustle I got the cash and went back.
Going to sort them now,hope I have something good to report.
First time I have been lucky enough to get one. Boy am I excited!
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby camtender » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Yes I did, how effective is it to side check the dimes? They are so small for someone who needs new glasses and has a hard enough time reading the halfs.................
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:40 pm

I've found several silver dimes in my penny bags, but I've NEVER searched a bag of dimes. Try it though, if you have the time and patience, you never know....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby camtender » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:42 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:I've found several silver dimes in my penny bags, but I've NEVER searched a bag of dimes. Try it though, if you have the time and patience, you never know....

Deal

I have never done it either, seemed like way to much work - like a bag of halves X 5................
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby thedrifter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 am

[quote="camtender"]Yes I did, how effective is it to side check the dimes? They are so small for someone who needs new glasses and has a hard enough time reading the halfs.................[/quote

It is very effective to side search dimes. Take about 10 copper/nickel dimes between two fingers and put a silver in the middle, the silver will jump out screaming at you.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby camtender » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 pm

I did find a few more, but I don't think I will ever search dimes again by hand...................however.............

On a side note, I spent about an 1.5 hours working with the Ryedale and the silver dimes. I am 99% sure I have figured away to sort the dimes using the Ryedale. First issue I had to address was the dimes being thinner and getting stuck under the penny wheel (since I do not have a dime wheel - do they make one?), In order to remedy this, I found that if you apply a small amount of pressure to the center of the wheel - not enough to stop or hinder the wheel circulation, but enough that you are pressing the coin wheel closer to its base. I first used my index finger, then I machined a 1/2 inch wooden dowel with a concave face to match the center of the wheel, placed the Ryedale inside my drill press and applied a consistent amount of pressure - this worked good as long as I did not drop a bunch of dimes at a time, I would drop them about ever 1/2 second. Obviously putting this level of pressure on the wheel is not good for the machine, but I did it to work for my experiment.

I played with a combination of BU dimes, circulated dimes and found way to get the Rydeale to accept all the silver and reject all the clad.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seem I have read that the Ryedale will not sort silver???
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals