High School Dropouts

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

High School Dropouts

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:11 pm

While reading a Damon Vickers book The Day After the Dollar Crashes I came across a factoid. He claims 7000 kids drop out of high school
every day. I found this hard to believe so I looked it up. It's actually higher than that! :shock: The book was printed in 2011, the following
link has statistics up to 2014. :o

http://www.statisticbrain.com/high-school-dropout-statistics/
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: High School Dropouts

Postby plus1hdcp » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:17 am

Very interesting and very sad
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:23 am

One of my brothers dropped out of HS. They literally told him if he simply shows up most of the time they will graduate him but he quit like 3 months early anyway. It seemed rather spontaneous. Him and 4 friends or so just stopped going. Strangely getting a GED which he eventually did was much harder for him then even trying in school let alone just showing up and getting a free diploma. Don't ask me to explain his logic, I discussed it at length with him, Im not sure he even knows why he did it.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:12 pm

Here where I work it's more difficult to pass. You have to turn in your assigned work. Not necessarily do it well or pass tests, but hand in the work.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:28 pm

IIRC, my freshman class was about 1300 people. Graduating class was just under 700.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Does the statistic just include school days? I have a grandson who probably won't graduate high school due to having a learning disability.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:16 pm

I strongly disliked school so I quit at 16 but I made sure that was right after they gave me my diploma :) There is so much allowance in the system to get people through that a dedicated student can plan and work themselves out of school early.

Dropout rates are dropping, but is it because more people are working to graduate or more are getting passed through to get the numbers up?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions