A MASS Coordination... but it would help us ALL

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

A MASS Coordination... but it would help us ALL

Postby Pennybug » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 pm

OK... I'm seeing some odd marks on some dime rolls. I suspect they are from other collectors... but most likely no one from this site (given I live in the boondocks of SC). OK so... here is my thought. Most of us who roll our coins probably mark our rolls. Why not start using a universal symbol? I'm thinking a smiley face? It's fast... and used in conjunction with our current personal marks would allow some tracking of rolls to occur as well. If all us rollers started doing this... we would be able to identify checked rolls already from anywhere (at least fellow realcent checkers!).

Maybe not to valuable of an idea... then again... depends on who agrees with me and who catches on. It would be nice to go into another region and buy some rolls and see a mark that I recognized and knew what it meant before I started searching. It would also help to identify other real centers in the area too!

I'm going to hear from a few folks before I start just to see what others think 1st (maybe useless... maybe a better ID method).
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: A MASS Coordination... but it would help us ALL

Postby involuntary tentacle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

custom rubber stamp of the realcent coat of arms?

i write "CLAD" with a sharpie in big letters on rolls of garbage coins so that the next guy hopefully doesnt waste his time.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 am

I mark every dumped roll with a sharpie "S" for Sorted Steel Sh!t. I hope it is meaningless to the public but any sorter will recognize that that roll has been checked. I've gotten rolls back at a different bank than I dumped them too.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby didou » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 pm

involuntary tentacle wrote:custom rubber stamp of the realcent coat of arms?

Hehehe :) I love that idea

I just buy a bunch of cheap marker and i draw a line on it. Red one dump, green one store.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby tebam11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:42 pm

all the banks I go to around here will not accept rolled coin. You have to dump the loose coin in a machine and the Brinks truck comes and services the machine.
tebam11

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

I mark all my rolls with a black sharpie line.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Snake42 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:06 pm

I mark all of my sorted half rolls with NS and all of my zinc rolls with NC. I'm down to start putting a smiley face on everything though. I've often thought of how a universal symbol would be nice though.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 pm

I mark my searched rolls, all denominations, with a large purple dot. I have actually seen one of my searched rolls in the hands of another coin collector. Thought that was cool.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I like this concept (smiley face). Would be great if we could get all RC members to do it throughout the country. For my sorted rolls, I usually just put the first initial of my name and then mark it on the other side of the roll as well, but moving the roll about half way around before marking it the second time. This way, there is a good chance that I will see it from either side.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Everyone just write "RC" for Realcent! How cool would it be to find one of those in the wild, even though it was a skunk?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm

I decided to start placing a sticker on one half per $500 face that I turn in saying "david sorted" :-)

I have found about 10 halves recently with a coin store advertisement saying Bill's Coins buying silver with his email addy and phone #

Figured I'd let Bill know there was someone out there sorting for silver too haha
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby involuntary tentacle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm

how about we get the same sort of stickers "Bill's Coins" uses, and slap the realcent coat of arms on it? id be down for a set.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

I think that a stamp like" where's george" would be good. I would buy one and use it.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals