100 Peace dollars for $300 ebay rip off

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

100 Peace dollars for $300 ebay rip off

Postby abc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 am

This would be a great deal. I'm going out on a limb here and saying these are going to be fake :D .
Ebay Auction # 320656718892

Coming from china and priced at 10% of spot, But it looks like he got a couple buyers already.
abc
Penny Pincher Member

Re: 100 Peace dollars for $300 ebay rip off

Postby tbram88 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 am

I have heard of fake Morgans but not Peace, yet. Common sense would say there is no way someone would sell silver for that price but they claim a mix of dates that would be harder to copy.

If someone were to take the plunge and buy these and they were fake wouldn't PayPal protect the buyer?
tbram88
Penny Collector Member

Postby abc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 am

I was actually thinking that. You could defintly get your money back from paypal or credit card I would think. He does advertise as 90% silver and they are diferent dates and condition by the 1 picture he shows. But i'm 99% sure these will be fake and probobly not worth the trouble of buying and filing a claim, but then again if I had some extra money might try it. How knows they could be real..
abc
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:00 am

It's really outrageous! They are fake, no doubt about it, of Chinese origin. The question is, are they really 90% silver? Can't be. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. The Chinese know what the spot silver price is, believe me.

Note that the seller ID has only one recent transaction with feedback, a pair of shoes. The balance of feedback is from 7 years ago or longer, with a big gap in between.

This really should be reported to ebay, for anyone that has experience doing that.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby toomuchcopper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 am

You cant report it to ebay if the seller has done nothing wrong. At this point the seller is offering to sell something that you think is undervalue, that does not make it against the rules. besides, Ebay buer protection covers you on this deal....and so does paypal....if the item is not 90% silver Peace dollars as shown in the picture you can get your money back simply by filing a claim.....it is possible that they are fake but they look real in the picture....doesnt quite add up. I might try it and see what happens, worse case is your money is tied up for a couple weeks, best case is they are real and you just bought 2k+ worth of coins for $300.
for more information on copper pennies and copper penny sorting go to
WWW.CRAZYCOINGUY.COM
toomuchcopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:17 pm

I just bought it. I wonder if they will send coins. If they do and send fake ones, I would be interested in seeing how close they were to actual or best case, I just made the buy of the century. I once bought a counterfeit coin off eBay and got the money back. It was a foreign and it weight exact as well as sounded silver from the ring test. Scratch and acid showed it to be fake.
TXBullion

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:18 pm

I will let you guys know what comes of it. In the mean time, dont buy any peace dollars from me :lol: jk
TXBullion

Postby toomuchcopper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm

I bought one too. Can't wait to see how this woorks out.
WWW.CRAZYCOINGUY.COM
toomuchcopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 pm

good luck guys let us know what comes of it.
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby toomuchcopper » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I just peaked again at the auction. When I bought my lot, I was number 7 that sold....he has now sold 19 of them. thats 1900 peace dollars.
I wonder how many lots he is going to try and sell? One good thing is that we wont be alone in the complaint department if this deal is a scam.
WWW.CRAZYCOINGUY.COM
toomuchcopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:30 pm

about 100 lots total, you can figure out how many by putting in a total number youd like to purchase until it asks you to put in a lower number.

Im surprised its taking so long to sell out.... He should have made the price spot to be more believable lol
TXBullion

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:33 pm

You guys have got to be kidding. There are videos on youtube showing the Chinese silver dollar counterfeiting coining shops, including one interviewing the owner and noting how proud he is of his "quality". Which aint' really that great. The Chinese government condone it; they have policy saying that its legal for their people to duplicate any coin of any other country as long as the date is prior to the start of the Chinese communist government in the late 40s.

Sell out? Heck, he's making faster than he can sell them... There's no selling out on this.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 pm

68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Good luck on if they are actually 90% silver. Since they are already considered counterfeit, I'm not sure how anyone will believe the silver content, even if they were 90%. (Which I don't believe.)

Let us know how it goes.
68Camaro

Postby scrapper2010 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm

If it really as easy to get your money back as has been claimed, then there's really no harm in trying. If I had to guess I'd say they're fake but.....
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kiwiman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:13 pm

72 left, please tell us if they are real and I can snag the other 7,200 of them making a cool $125,000, I bet he knows that most people will think they will be fake and get their money back but maybe he's hoping that he'll fool some people or some won't bother returning them, ( they would have to be really rich). If he gives people their money back is his feedback still impacted negatively?
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby youngfee101 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:17 pm

If they are fake his feedback will be ruined forever.
youngfee101

Postby Thogey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Nobody is buying peace dollars, .90 reproductions ,or anything else from china for 3 dollars that's worth more than 3 dollars.

Did you guys really have any hope that you made a killer deal? Don't you think a Chinaman would sell his thousands of peace dollars for say 5 or 6 dollars ea in China?

I think you just bought yourselves a big hassle. The people who don't neg feed back this [fluffy kitten] assume they are fakes and will sell them at flea markets and such. Because they are not stamped 'copy'. Meanwhile the Chinese counterfeiter's toes are tappin.

He will just open another ebay account a flood us with more Chinese crap.
Last edited by Thogey on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:47 pm

What Thogey said... plus...

It takes awhile for you to receive the coins, examine them, and then complain they are fake (shame on you... you should have suspected from the start). During which time enough time has elapsed that the seller has taken your money and run. What the HELL can ebay or paypal do to an overseas seller after he has ALREADY collected the money??? Ban him? Big fricking deal. Meekly ask for their money back? Hah! Sucker is long gone, much richer. Hmmm, I think about here an appropriate adage might be "a fool and his money are soon parted." It's getting dangerous to buy purportedly silver items on ebay... but when it's this obvious... jeez, dudes... you're playing right into their hands. :o Well, at least you can sell them to the pawn shop in Washington.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:53 pm

The frickin Chinese scamster doesn't even bother to write his own copy... he stole it from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-5-ROLLS-PEACE-S ... 53e62def9d
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Bad Buy.....no thanks on this one.

This dope (the seller) is helping to keep my eBay fees elevated.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Ray the people doing this don't even understand the text of what they have copied and they don't care if they are banned from e-bay. They know they are going to get hammered but it doesn't matter because, they just scored.

Meanwhile we will be stuck with crackheads selling these in the US. 'Hey man I really need some money do you want to buy grandma's peace dollars?"
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby jasmatk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:08 pm

Thogey wrote: 'Hey man I really need some money do you want to buy grandma's peace dollars?"

that says it all good people are going to end up with this crap becouse of the f###ing chinese and there production of fake [shucks]>>>>>>> F CHINA
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:11 pm

If anyone here has ever had a legitimate problem with ebay such as this one, you will know that buyers protection covers you. Heck, I paid them over 200$ last month and will be the same this month from earning money for them selling. So when I buy a new digital camera that is scratched up, or counterfeit coins from china, Im only tying up money. For me it will be worth it. If these are counterfeit coins (and they deliver) I will be able to have taken my time to study , examine, and play with a counterfeit which will make me that much better at identifying fakes. Im sure not all of you have had the chance, you dont walk into the LCS and ask for fake morgans do you?

Im banking on the fact that these are bogus, and if I get to keep them like I did last time (ebay usually requests to send them back to seller i think unless they dont get contact) I will be happy to sell them a coin for the sole purpose of education.

Thats my piece and im sticking to it.

And I think paypal sets up a measure where they can draft your account or debit card or some type of recourse (not sure exactly) but there is something. Maybe they get a red flag when an abnormally large amount of cash starts coming in during a short span. Like if we send to many gifts we get locked. Dont think they are so dumb to get ripped off 300K . Maybe someone knows something on this topic
TXBullion

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:13 pm

I agree with what Thogey and Beauanderos said. I was thinking the same thing. This is a quick 3 day auction that will probably be over in one day. Then it will take at least a week to ten days before anybody will open a claim then the seller has up to seven days to respond and by that time the Pay Pal account will be empty. Then who is left holding the bag. If it was a seller from the United States they might be able to go after him but how are they going to go after someone in China. You would think Pay Pal would have more regulations on over seas accounts like the purchaser would have to verify they received the item and is satisfied with it before the money is released.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals