Silver dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver dollars

Postby No82s » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:02 am

Maybe this has been a subject before and I missed it, but I was curious as why anyone would pay the premiums that most seem to get for silver dollars? When I first joined here there were a lot of WTSHTF people and everyone was interested in base bullion. That being the case, why pay more for Morgans, etc than silver content? Otherwise you are taking a numismatic gamble on the coin and in the "scenario" that really won't matter. Just looking for opinions to see if the board focus has maybe shifted a little.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver dollars

Postby fb101 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 am

Love. Something about that hunk of silver. I usually carry two in my pocket, 1 Morgan, 1 Peace.
Cartwheels are king.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby whatsnext » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 am

Considering you do not pay spot price for almost any product you buy, small premiums on coins are not that bad. Everytime I go to market the sfuff I buy is way overpriced compared to the price it cost to make it.

I prefer bullion spot to a premium anyday. ASE and peace over mogans.
Last edited by whatsnext on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 am

if you buy in quantities, ASE's carry a 2.49 premium, maybe $3 in small quantities. So a $2 premium on a morgan or peace is reasonable by comparison. But i agree with you junk without a premium is a better deal.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 am

I haven't seen Morgan or Peace dollars at spot at any coin or gun show the last 2 years.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 am

No82s wrote:Maybe this has been a subject before and I missed it, but I was curious as why anyone would pay the premiums that most seem to get for silver dollars? When I first joined here there were a lot of WTSHTF people and everyone was interested in base bullion. That being the case, why pay more for Morgans, etc than silver content? Otherwise you are taking a numismatic gamble on the coin and in the "scenario" that really won't matter. Just looking for opinions to see if the board focus has maybe shifted a little.

You probably have a mix of members on this forum that cover the spectrum from general interest coin collectors (who would favor Morgans/Peace) and believe the economy might be in trouble, but will recover, to mid-range who are making preparations for some really bad times, but not anarchy, and buy a mix of both bullion and some numies... and then hardcore "the end of the world is nigh" types (I'm one of them... we are gonna get smacked by hyperinflation, and soon) who have shelters prepared and stacks upon stacks of food preps and bugout plans for when TSHTF... and yeah, those individuals might favor .999 or junk instead of paying numi premiums they'd likely never recover if their fears are realized. Such musing aside, and irregardless of the benefits of diversification... it's just nice to have a wide variety of shiny stuff Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AlexTG » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:47 pm

What makes me wonder, is why people are paying such a high premium on 2011 ASEs. If you are buying for bullion, that is known for its purity and widely accepted. I get why you are buying ASEs.

But paying such a high premium on the 2011 or 2010 coin makes no sense considering how many of them there are.

The premium on ebay for any other ASE is +2 to +3

For 2011SEs it like +5 to +6, it just doesn't make sense. (single coins of course)

As a refrence point
http://silvereagleguide.com/mintages/

And keep in mind, in jaunary some 6.5 million ASE were sold (correct me if I am wrong)
That is more than many other years, in a single MONTH!
AlexTG
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Ive bought several "beat up" or loose ASEs at local coin shops over the years at spot.To me its the only way to buy them (at spot loose) but of course,I cant get large quantities,jut one here and one there...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals