Sweet local coin shop score!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sweet local coin shop score!!

Postby jtlee321 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Picked up a couple of old Mexican silver coins at the local coin shop today. I went in to pick a couple of items that I had won on eBay the first was a Painted 1999 Silver Eagle for $31.22 and the other was a 2002-S Silver Proof Half Dollar for $8.32. While I was there and waiting for the owner to get the items I was looking in the cases and spotted a box with some Mexican coins in it. I asked to take a look at them and spotted an 1895 8 Reales and a 1900 Un Peso. I asked how much and he quoted me $20.00 each. He said they had about $24.00 worth of silver but he would sell them to me at the same price he was going to get from his Wholesaler. I said I'll take them.. Nice little haul. :D
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Re: Sweet local coin shop score!!

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 pm

You should ask if he would let you buy all his junk silver at a bit above smelt. Win/win situation. I had a deal with a former coin shop owner (before he died) who would let me look thru his incoming junk and replace it with same face value, and/or buy the lots. Nice score, every little bit counts.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals