Alaska Gold Rush

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Alaska Gold Rush

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Anybody watch Alaska Gold Rush on t.v.? It looks like those guys really don't know what they're doing but I find it interesting to watch none the less. They do get some gold and the older prospector is a pretty funny dude.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Alaska Gold Rush

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:31 pm

I've watched every episode. Interesting. I think the results of the whole thing would have been entirely different without Discovery paying bills and bringing in some people with know how. I don't see how they will even break even on the gold paying the bills. If they have another year they might do ok given they have the equipment operating the way it should. Much of the team of people seem like complete idiots. The real money in their venture is from the TV show, which I'm sure has covered all their expenses plus provided a profit. Hope I win the gold bar tonight during the finale.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:11 pm

I agree... I have panned for gold a little, sluiced as well as high banked...never dredged however. Regardless, even with my limited experience I could not believe this group would try to attempt this the way they did. I have to think they could have used even a small 3 inch dredged in the river the first two weeks and pulled out more ounces they did in the several months they screwed around.

It is a "reality style" TV show so you have to think in the end they will come out at least even money or a little less....this crap about hitting the glory hole is far fetched....

Let me ask you this...if the guy that leased the land knew of millions of dollars in gold was on the property why would he let this bunch on the property in the first place.....
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:16 pm

The guy who leased it didn't have the equipment, and was looking at a large % coming in to him without any effort. Isn't it 20% of whatever they get. If they hit it big, he can decide not to renew the lease and do it himself.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

This is what happens in the end... supposedly

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Copper Catcher

Postby tn-dave » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:37 pm

I've watched every episode also. I agree that this bunch has spent a bunch of time messing around. We've enjoyed the show even though I find myself not liking the son and his father more and more each show. I'm sure they find a bunch of gold in the end or the show would really be pretty pointless.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:11 pm

It would seem pointless if they don't strike it rich in the glory hole, I've been thinking the same thing. At least the son and most of the other guys admit that this is their first time doing this. I guess that's what makes it a good reality show, because if they got experts in there who knew exactly what they were doing then there wouldn't be the drama that makes it a true reality show. I'd like to see a show on this subject more in the style of How It's Made or Factory Made.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm

They are going to have a second season...it figures.
Copper Catcher

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Tourney64 wrote:I've watched every episode.. Hope I win the gold bar tonight during the finale.

I have watched every episode, too. Tonight, the wife & I were momentarily distracted and missed the "magic number" flashed across the bottom of the screen. :shock: Now, we lost our chance for the gold bar. AAAAAAAAAGGHH!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:24 am

No more gold bars given away - It's a trip to Alaska. Here's the code - TNFN6S
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby tn-dave » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:58 am

I started to post last night but I didn't want to put out a spoiler for people not on the East Coast. I was prettty shocked they ended up loosing so much $$ this season. But who know it may have all been part of the script to set up the next season since this year got such great ratings. They might all be actors for all we know..lol
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:48 am

Tourney64 wrote:No more gold bars given away - It's a trip to Alaska. Here's the code - TNFN6S

Thanks, Tourney!! WhooHoo! :D
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Ethon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:34 pm

I don't get how there will be a 2nd season? They lost over 200k 1st season how will they afford to come back next season?
Ethon
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hades12 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Don't forget that a good bit of the money spent was all in equipment that they still have. They are out the fuel and moving expences but next year they just need to show up with fuel do maintance and go to work.

I did not stay up to watch it how much did they end up finding?
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:46 pm

They made all that money from Discovery Channel that more than took care of expenses. There will be money for a 2nd season too.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals