odd find

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

odd find

Postby kagarise » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm

while i was searching through a few rolls of halves on my lunch break i found almost a whole rolls where the halves were spray painted gold....guess someone wanted to be a pirate :lol:
kagarise
Penny Sorter Member

Re: odd find

Postby Robarons » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:13 pm

I have (with most of the members here) have found gold plated halves, but they usually a by-product of those cheap coin sets that they try to hock on tv, 'layered in 24k gold' etc.

But I these dont pop up very often. To find complete rolls of gold painted coins, or any coins for that matter, is rare and cool. I dont know why someone would try to do that but its kinda interesting. At least if you ever see these gold halves again you can track their circulation patterns and tell if you have any competition!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 pm

I've found one of these also. Welcome aboard, matey!
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm

I was at a yard sale one day, and there was one in a bezel for sale along with an Ike.. I bought both for a buck!
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 pm

kagarise wrote:while i was searching through a few rolls of halves on my lunch break i found almost a whole rolls where the halves were spray painted gold....guess someone wanted to be a pirate :lol:

You lucky dog. Those were part of a top secret experimental plan to increase the government's gold holdings. The genuis who came up with that idea later moved to Fort Knox and implemented the Tungsten Filled Gold Bar program.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby sparechange » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Just found a "golden abe" tonight. I put in my odd junk bin. I now have some more gold.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:14 am

kagarise wrote:....guess someone wanted to be a pirate :lol:

Celebrate with song!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 am

used to find 1 ever oncein a while whenI was sorting halves
misteroman