Coin Alloy Check- Rare Earth Magnet or Regular Magnet

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Coin Alloy Check- Rare Earth Magnet or Regular Magnet

Postby fusscharles » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Someone told me to always use a rare earth magnet to check if a coin was legit, but I can't figure out if a regular (100lb pull) magnet you can get at harbor freight can do the same thing. Anyone have experience or have seen anything online about this? Google has not been helping.
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Coin Alloy Check- Rare Earth Magnet or Regular Magnet

Postby didou » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:19 pm

I heard that before too but i have no idea if it make a difference to use a neodymium magnet or a regular one.
I currently use a old hard drive magnet of nickel plated neodymium.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Magnet's a magnet, the chemicals it's made of is not relevant.

Neat sig quote. I guess there's different types of "panics", and we have a honey getting lined up.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 am

It does matter. I bought the 100 lb pull from HF and it does NOTHING. Go with a small neodymium magnet. It works AMAZINGLY well. You can move silver coins and copper ones with it. I got one from Men**ds I think.

Look up the diamagnetism of silver and other elements and do your homework.

Edited because I originally incorrectly wrote paramagnetism instead of diamagnetism. :oops: :roll:
Last edited by Roadrunner on Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fusscharles » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks Road Runner.... I will research.... if gold and silver is magnetic, how can you use it for detecting counterfiets?
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 am

Gold and silver are not magnetic in the normal sense. Nickel and iron will stick to any type of magnet. So if your coin is attracted to the magnet you know it contains either of those elements and is not copper/silver/gold. No real coins I know of are a blend of nickel and silver. I don't know nothing about the paranormal of the paramagnetic.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 am

Road Runner, I took some very strong earth magnets I have against some 90% halves. I got them to move. Not sure how or why but interesting
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Saw this earlier in the week. It appears that a REM will attract to silver, just not strongly....lead in turn acts like the plastic did.

“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks, cool video! I now know more about magnetism. You can tell in the video just by the look of the bars which one was lead. However, I have some experience as I bought a lead bar someone was selling as silver once but got my money back. You can also tell if something is lead by rubbing it on a piece of paper. it will leave a grey mark, silver won't.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:44 pm

My bad, I mixed up the types of magnetism.

Gold, silver, and copper, along with most elements, are *diamagnetic*, NOT paramagnetic, as my previous post said.

Great Video there! However, I'm confused about something. Elements which are diamagnetic aren't supposed to be attracted to a rare earth magnet. The silver should be repelling, not attracting, in the video. Hmm...time for some more science homework.

Remember, if you do purchase any of these magnets, use EXTREME caution. REMs are very powerful and can mess up expensive electronic equipment.

One more thing...rare earth magnets are surprisingly inexpensive for their power. Shop around, there are plenty to choose from. Oh, and MAKE SURE they actually are rare earth magnets. Some magnets are "really strong" but they're just big normal magnets. I don't care how big or strong they are, they won't interact with silver, gold, copper, or cupronickel if they're not neodymium.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals