Was it one of you?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Was it one of you?

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 am

Last Friday, I ran into a guy dumping coins at my dump bank. There is a coin counter in the lobby. He had perhaps 10-12 cloth bags that contained quarters I think...tried not to pry into his business. We spoke briefly. He said that he has been pulling AG out his change for 30 years and now he buys his coins from a company on the Internet.

He was perhaps 6 feet and an inch or two tall. Late 50's. Large frame. Drives a truck.

Was that one of you? I'm in San Antonio where it got up to about 90 degrees yesterday. (Take that Canadians! LOL)
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Was it one of you?

Postby barrytrot » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 am

Ah, that was San Antionio Joe.

He died from a coin-collapse accident exactly 25 years ago last Friday.

It is said that he still returns to his "dump bank" on the anniversary of his death.

They say his spirit won't rest until the melt ban is permanently lifted.

FYI: Meeting San Antonio Joe is considered "good luck", so I would recommend buying an extra box of halves today. It's very likely to have a couple 90% and several 40% in it!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:02 pm

barrytrot wrote:Ah, that was San Antionio Joe.

It is said that he still returns to his "dump bank" on the anniversary of his death.

FYI: Meeting San Antonio Joe is considered "good luck", so I would recommend buying an extra box of halves today. It's very likely to have a couple 90% and several 40% in it!

Funny! I always wanted to meet a ghost. I have some halves on order but they probably won't be available until tomorrow.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I've always wanted to see a ghost, but only if he would say "If it wasn't for you meddling kids, I would have gotten away with it!"
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:10 pm

There's a guy who orders halves at the same bank that I do and I briefly wondered if he was an RC member. Then the teller explained that he brings his dumps back to that very same branch. I was saddened to see that he was breaking the 3rd Commandment of coin sorting, "Thou shalt not dump at thy source bank." and therefore, could not be one of us.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

theo wrote:There's a guy who orders halves at the same bank that I do and I briefly wondered if he was an RC member. Then the teller explained that he brings his dumps back to that very same branch. I was saddened to see that he was breaking the 3rd Commandment of coin sorting, "Thou shalt not dump at thy source bank." and therefore, could not be one of us.

A pox on that dumper of coins at the very same bank wherein he doth retrieve said coins in the first place!

Hey, I just returned from my dump location. Standing there minding my own business as my coins run through the counter filling the bank lobby with the flat musical notes of zinc when I just happened to glance into the trash can. Egads! There's a copper in there. Well, I reach in and pull it out. It's a Euro 1 cent. It must have been rejected by the counter, but who throws away money?!! Even if you just give it to the curious 5th grader in the neighborhood, anything is better than throwing it away. Dadgum the willful foolishness of the sheeple. The baby Euro is now encased in my box of foreign coins.
Last edited by shinnosuke on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm

LOL! I was going to talk about going to my favorite dump bank last Friday, when this pesky guy behind me kept looking at all my bags of coins and asking nosy questions.... but I can't top San Antonio Joe! :lol: :lol:

Good one!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

LOL! I was going to talk about going to my favorite dump bank last Friday, when this pesky guy behind me kept looking at all my bags of coins and asking nosy questions.... but I can't top San Antonio Joe! :lol: :lol:

Good one!

:cry: Awww, Sheikh, don't be that way. I'm just trying to learn the business.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:I've always wanted to see a ghost, but only if he would say "If it wasn't for you meddling kids, I would have gotten away with it!"

Ruh-Roh!
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Good one!

Oh, c'mon, man! I was injecting humor! :P :P I live one state due north of you. Did you just turn the tables on me and razz me back?!

If you want to learn the business, you have come to the right place!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:LOL! I was going to talk about going to my favorite dump bank last Friday, when this pesky guy behind me kept looking at all my bags of coins and asking nosy questions.... but I can't top San Antonio Joe! :lol: :lol:

Good one!

Oh, c'mon, man! I was injecting humor! :P :P I live one state due north of you. Did you just turn the tables on me and razz me back?!

If you want to learn the business, you have come to the right place!

I know you were kidding. I was kidding at being hurt.

My dad was born in OK so I know the state has a few redeeming characteristics.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Yeah, I love my state. It is just backwards enough that most newcomers don't stay for long. It is not "progressive" enough for them.

My favorite place in Texas is Buffalo Gap. Ever been there?
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Yeah, I love my state. It is just backwards enough that most newcomers don't stay for long. It is not "progressive" enough for them.

Sorry, never even heard of Buffalo Gap. Just Googled it. Looks like a cool place.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby oktyabyr » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Whoa! Hold up now. Texans and Okies gettin along! Whats going on in this world?
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Its called the Obama effect...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:

Its called the Obama effect...

:lol:
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby chris6084 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Did he say what website he was getting his coins from?
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Yeah, I love my state. It is just backwards enough that most newcomers don't stay for long. It is not "progressive" enough for them.

Sorry, never even heard of Buffalo Gap. Just Googled it. Looks like a cool place.

If you are a old west history buff.... It's worth the drive there. 8-) San Jacinto would be my next favorite site, but those Houstonians are *&$%@@#^!! crazy!. I have never seen the Alamo.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:45 am

chris6084 wrote:Did he say what website he was getting his coins from?

No, unfortunately, he didn't tell me and since it was the first time I met him, I didn't think it would be right to ask him. I have been regretting my hesitation since then though. The boxes of coins I buy don't have any AG.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:If you are a old west history buff.... It's worth the drive there. 8-) San Jacinto would be my next favorite site, but those Houstonians are *&$%@@#^!! crazy!. I have never seen the Alamo.

I am a history buff of many things so hope to get out there. Having grown up in Houston, San Jacinto is also a favorite. The Alamo should be on everyone's bucket list.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:If you are a old west history buff.... It's worth the drive there. 8-) San Jacinto would be my next favorite site, but those Houstonians are *&$%@@#^!! crazy!. I have never seen the Alamo.

I am a history buff of many things so hope to get out there. Having grown up in Houston, San Jacinto is also a favorite. The Alamo should be on everyone's bucket list.

I worked in Houston for 8 months. I never once got on the interdispersal loop without seeing a major car wreck. People would drive 70 mph in dense fog! Gaaa!! A plane landed on the loop one time... cars scattered like a covy of quail!! :o

No foolin'... When we crossed the Red back into Oklahoma, we pulled over and celebrated!
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:31 am

shinnosuke wrote:
chris6084 wrote:Did he say what website he was getting his coins from?

No, unfortunately, he didn't tell me and since it was the first time I met him, I didn't think it would be right to ask him. I have been regretting my hesitation since then though. The boxes of coins I buy don't have any AG.

I have better luck in the small towns and banks. Large banks and large cities seem to have too much competition.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals