Silver Halves: 2023 vs. 1st Half of 2024

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Halves: 2023 vs. 1st Half of 2024

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:40 am

We are almost exactly halfway through 2024 so I thought I'd post my first half 2024 results vs. calendar year 2023 to show how different things can be from year to year.

Last year I searched $4,186.50 face value in halves and found a whopping 131 silver halves. Of those, 50 were 90% silver halves. It was my best year since 2010. 1.56% of my halves searched were silver. That is one of every 63.9 halves, which is really very good. Also, there were 7 different trips to the bank which yielded at least 5 silver halves from a single bank in a single visit in 2023. So the success was spread nicely throughout the year.

This year (so far) is a completely different situation.

With $2,203.50 face searched (thru 6/27/24) I have only found 3 silver halves- including a single 90%er. If you double what I've searched so far in the first half of the year, that would be roughly on par with the total amount of halves searched in 2023. Yet, if I double the 3 silvers and call it 6, that is nowhere near the 131 silvers from last year. Last year 1 of every 63.9 halves was silver- this year is is 1 of every 1,469. Ouch!

Finding silver seems like it is even more of a roller coaster than the stock market. Oh well...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silver Halves: 2023 vs. 1st Half of 2024

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:05 pm

Ouch.

Searching boxes/rolls for Ag is definitely fun and gives you something to do, but IMO not really worth the time and effort... not anymore.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Yeah ouch. I have to say that it depends. My local area has been tapped out for years. I tried, all I got were boxes that had been roll marked by other searchers. But there are local pockets of the country where silver halves still can be found. I told my wife's cousin of the practice, sharing my experience. Fortunately he ignored me and tried it anyway. He hit a silver mine of halves in his area of the midwest the likes of which I haven't seen reported on RC in my 14 years. Probably much like it was in other areas 30 years ago. He rarely had a skunk, and more than a few times had literally dozens per box. I took a trip to visit him in part so that I could experience roll searching. He got us 2 boxes each, I was ecstatic that I found 5 silver halves in my 2 boxes. He was let down by that, disappointed that there weren't more for me. I kept telling him - "You don't understand, I've *never* gotten silver before, ever! This is great!" Lol
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:47 pm

To put a bow tie on the first half of the year I got $109 in halves today- no silver.

Also, not to sound morbid, but as old collectors die and those who inherit their estates get their coins I suspect there will be those who are too uninformed or lazy to go to a coin dealer and simply go to a bank instead. And, judging from the comments on this site, I will have less competition than before.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:45 am

Recyclersteve wrote:To put a bow tie on the first half of the year I got $109 in halves today- no silver.

Also, not to sound morbid, but as old collectors die and those who inherit their estates get their coins I suspect there will be those who are too uninformed or lazy to go to a coin dealer and simply go to a bank instead. And, judging from the comments on this site, I will have less competition than before.

I imagine there are a few ignorant ppl out there who inherit silver coins and bring them to the bank, but IMO that is rare.

I used to make 1 trip per week to every bank and credit union in a 10sq mile area. As the years went by, after I did the math, it was no longer worth the gas, time and effort. I admire your tenacity and determination though.

Even Cu penny mining is not worth it anymore. The Coinstar man is taking it all.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals