Early proof sets. rip open and just melt?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Early proof sets. rip open and just melt?

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 pm

trying to work on a deal for approx 500 proof sets from early 60's. Are they just bullion or do they have any other value?
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Early proof sets. rip open and just melt?

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Roll them and sell them as prem junk.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Once in hand, I'd hang onto them for a week or so and try to peddle them as is. In this market, people may pay over Coin Dealer Newsletter pricing just to have them. Don't dismiss the "cool factor" for the novice silver investor.

If no sale, I agree with the cut and roll approach. People will pay more for proof rolls. Either way, if you snag those, you should be in a good position to catch the wave of increasing interest in silver.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:35 am

all of the 60's are considered melt. Anything pre 1960 starts to have a little numismatic value to it.

Might be better off doing as rodebaugh said and selling by the "proof roll"
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:14 pm

highroller4321 wrote:all of the 60's are considered melt. Anything pre 1960 starts to have a little numismatic value to it.

No extra value at all?? Is this selling at a coin shop/refiner, is there an eBay premium making that route worthwhile? I've got a bunch somebody asked me about I still haven't had a chance to get out of my box.

Regards......Pachucko
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Pachucko wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:all of the 60's are considered melt. Anything pre 1960 starts to have a little numismatic value to it.

No extra value at all?? Is this selling at a coin shop/refiner, is there an eBay premium making that route worthwhile? I've got a bunch somebody asked me about I still haven't had a chance to get out of my box.

Regards......Pachucko

There is probably a little value but with silver at these higher prices I am sure its hard to find someone wanting to spend a premium on basically "junk" silver.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby GTOJohn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 pm

wow, with all of the space that proof and uncirculated sets take up - it would be nice to see premiums.
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby psi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 pm

I guess if enough people melt them, they may become a lot less common than they are today... just a thought.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Or......use this opertunity to upgrade your stash. Out with the circ bens, roosies, mercs, and kennys......in with the proof date rolls.

Keep doing this and before you know it most of your "junk" will be proof at little to no cost. I know some guy that has done just this and now most of his stack is in 90% state proof rolls.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby AgCollector » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm

misteroman wrote:trying to work on a deal for approx 500 proof sets from early 60's. Are they just bullion or do they have any other value?

I'd at least keep an eye out for dime doubled dies- there are quite a few, esp for 1963.
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals