What do banks do with the large dollars?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What do banks do with the large dollars?

Postby barrytrot » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

When a bank gets a few large dollars in, what do they do? Are they always collected by someone like one of us?

If not, they go back to the processor. Does that company keep them? Or what do they do?

My followup question would be: Assuming that some dollars aren't collected and they go back to the processor, that means they have some. Can a bank order them for you? If so, that would be awesome!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What do banks do with the large dollars?

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:02 pm

It depends on the bank. I've heard that some banks can, but my buy bank cannot. All the banks around my area are forced to keep Ikes until someone buys them. I usually do the honors :smile:
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:52 pm

I think they probably need a large quantity to turn them in, so I agree - they probably keep them until someone else wants them. I know they're always trying to get me to buy Ikes when I ask for halves.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby flbandit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 am

I buy them when I find them, but it's not very often.
flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AgCollector » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:13 am

barrytrot wrote:When a bank gets a few large dollars in, what do they do? Are they always collected by someone like one of us?

If not, they go back to the processor. Does that company keep them? Or what do they do?

My followup question would be: Assuming that some dollars aren't collected and they go back to the processor, that means they have some. Can a bank order them for you? If so, that would be awesome!

I think they do go back to the processor- there's a bank a few towns away from me that was able to order me $1k bags of large dollars- did this twice- and then the vault teller quit and the new one, although always telling me on the phone that she was trying to order for me, never did. Oh well; it was fun a couple times. FYI- only found one silver (a 40% ike) between both bags.
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby AgCollector » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 am

Also, back when I was more proactive about these things, I called up coin service companies (Brinks, Loomis, etc) and had a local one tell me that yes, they do have bags of large dollars, but they don't sell to the general public, get your bank to do it. Of course, every bank I tried at told me they couldn't do it... and they tend to be suspicious of someone asking about their cash ordering procedures.
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 am

in looking for halves, i found a bank that had $1800 in SBA's. they had been stuck with them for a long time. they needed $2000 to deposit with the Fed.

if by large dollars you mean Peace or Morgan, then its almost impossible for them to get enough to send to the Fed. they'll give them to customers first.

It is theoretically possilbe to order a bag but I have some pull with my bank and all they ever receive are the fake gold dollars even if they specify the right ones.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:17 am

Ike dollars are treated like all other $1 coins. They get mixed into the dollars bags and than sent to get deposited into the fed. Yes, your bank has the ability to order Ike's from the fed. However, most tellers don't know that they can do this and not all fed depots have ikes.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:21 am

At the bank where my wife is they can ship them off if they have enough for a bag, but usually someone will come buy them. The last she mentioned she had about 130 of the Ikes sitting in in the vault.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cwgii » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 pm

i generally buy them when i can, this morning a bill was due..... so i turned in 60$ of ikes. some days you are the windshield, others , you are the bug.
cwgii

Postby misteroman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:45 pm

^^ go back next week and buy them back lol.
misteroman

Postby Beau » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 pm

any bank can get them, but they have a form they fill out that list all the coins, and the Ikes are not on it.
when the bank orders them they have to write it in on the order form.

if you are thinking about selling them on this site, the best I have ever seen is $1.10 each.

no one wants them.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PolishPunisher » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Someone must want them because they sell on ebay for about $1.25.
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a vintage /antique shop and I put a bowl of Ikes in the case price 2.00 each,10 for 15.00.Lots of people(younger) have never seen this coin...Ive sold 16 so far at these prices!(one customer bought 10 for 15) These people arent coin collectors,just buying as a novelty or souvenier...Any way,I never tried to order them,but the tellers know me as the coin guy,so they always pull them out for me...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals