Other mega-group buys to consider

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Other mega-group buys to consider

Postby barrytrot » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:I like #1.

But did anyone think about what to do when the order cannot be filled and they offer cash instead?

Or is this being done to intentionally CAUSE them to default?

Also, I would participate if only there was a way to be a player without my name on anything.
Actually, all of these ideas would require me giving out personally identifying information. :(

You would only be giving out the information to the group. Private LLC's and Corporations are very private. Unless the LLC or corporation does something against national security or is convicted of a felony no government body has access to the directors list or shareholders or founders.

So you would be giving out information but the Government would never have access to it.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby knibloe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:21 am

Let me throw out another option.

I would like to invest in physical silver for an IRA. I don't know the in's and out of it, but I believe that you can't hold the metal yourself and that whoever does, has to be approved or certified?? Why don't we start a company that would do this for us. We would own the company so we would be able to control the fees...

I wouldn't mind owning part of a mining claim. I could be a cool family vacation.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 am

No waiting time for buying the monster box idea is needed. A RealCenter who presently has a box of ASEs could be the provider.

On Trigger Day, all the participants "Paypal Gift" their money to him. That same day, he can order a new box to replace is own, at the "Trigger Day" spot price.

Then he puts the coin tubes in the mail to the participants, on Trigger Day, or the next day at the latest.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:38 am

knibloe wrote:Let me throw out another option.

I would like to invest in physical silver for an IRA. I don't know the in's and out of it, but I believe that you can't hold the metal yourself and that whoever does, has to be approved or certified?? Why don't we start a company that would do this for us. We would own the company so we would be able to control the fees...

I wouldn't mind owning part of a mining claim. I could be a cool family vacation.

That is an interesting idea.

The issue is that then the level of regulation by the government literally goes through the roof. A collective of mostly strangers would be under a lot of scrutiny.

If the Government said it was ok, I think it would be great and could be a nice benefit to the community and yield a small profit also.

But we would need someone doing all the SUBSTANTIAL leg word to get it setup.

Then, after setup, it would be a lot more paper work, which would require some people's time also.
barrytrot

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:49 am

IdahoCopper wrote:No waiting time for buying the monster box idea is needed. A RealCenter who presently has a box of ASEs could be the provider.

On Trigger Day, all the participants "Paypal Gift" their money to him. That same day, he can order a new box to replace is own, at the "Trigger Day" spot price.

Then he puts the coin tubes in the mail to the participants, on Trigger Day, or the next day at the latest.

If a person gets more than 3-5 gift transaction in a day paypal will turn your account in a charity account and require charity paperwork. This happened to me when I collected money for the St Jude donation. It took me a month of phone calls to get things cleared up!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:51 am

barrytrot wrote:
knibloe wrote:Let me throw out another option.

That is an interesting idea.

The issue is that then the level of regulation by the government literally goes through the roof. A collective of mostly strangers would be under a lot of scrutiny.

If the Government said it was ok, I think it would be great and could be a nice benefit to the community and yield a small profit also.

But we would need someone doing all the SUBSTANTIAL leg word to get it setup.

Then, after setup, it would be a lot more paper work, which would require some people's time also.

Have to be regulated by the SCC and everyone else. This is a VERY VERY VERY expensive option to get set up and we most likely would not be able to accomplish. Go look up the thread about holding gold in an LLC for an IRA.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:55 am

Breaking up a monster box just seems expensive and requires a lot of time and effort from the person running it. Have to collect everyone names and address's, split up the eagles, package the eagles so they can't get scratched, mail them, ect ect ect. Also not really a big discount buying a monster box compared to buying a few eagles. The extra cost of shipping and paying the person to handle everything I am sure will out weight the slight box discount.

There seems to be a lot of interest in doing some sort of copper deal. Everyone should put in their imput and we should see if we can get something to work.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby involuntary tentacle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:30 pm

barrytrot wrote:
involuntary tentacle wrote:I like #1.

But did anyone think about what to do when the order cannot be filled and they offer cash instead?

Or is this being done to intentionally CAUSE them to default?

Also, I would participate if only there was a way to be a player without my name on anything.
Actually, all of these ideas would require me giving out personally identifying information. :(

You would only be giving out the information to the group. Private LLC's and Corporations are very private. Unless the LLC or corporation does something against national security or is convicted of a felony no government body has access to the directors list or shareholders or founders.

So you would be giving out information but the Government would never have access to it.

Sometimes I wish there was a HIPAA for companies dealing with these kind of things.
My issue is the hassle of having to file these things come tax time. Do not want my name associated with anything PM related.
When buying PMs from some random guy, I get to keep these transactions private.
If I were to participate in any group activities on here, my privacy is compromised, regardless of how "private" it may be.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Breaking up a monster box just seems expensive and requires a lot of time and effort from the person running it. Have to collect everyone names and address's, split up the eagles, package the eagles so they can't get scratched, mail them, ect ect ect. Also not really a big discount buying a monster box compared to buying a few eagles. The extra cost of shipping and paying the person to handle everything I am sure will out weight the slight box discount.

There seems to be a lot of interest in doing some sort of copper deal. Everyone should put in their imput and we should see if we can get something to work.

Another alternative to the "multi-ship monster" would be to ship them to someone going to the Denver "Real Cent Meet-Up" and then distribute them there. People not attending could assign a representative to pick up theirs for them and then they may have to ship if not near that person, but most people would not have to.
barrytrot

Postby TXBullion » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Even the idea of copper isnt bad. you are taking a physical position without deliver. Would be good for some people who cant allot the storage space nor want to devote the space. Plus you dont have to deal with shipping delivery, or packaging and selling. I know some members would not want to deal with 500 pounds but its a great way to be involved. And we get to support a realcent member who would offer us a discounted rate :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:23 pm

TXBullion wrote:Even the idea of copper isnt bad. you are taking a physical position without deliver. Would be good for some people who cant allot the storage space nor want to devote the space. Plus you dont have to deal with shipping delivery, or packaging and selling. I know some members would not want to deal with 500 pounds but its a great way to be involved. And we get to support a realcent member who would offer us a discounted rate :mrgreen:

The intial deal would involve storage of the coppr by delivery could always be taken at a later date. It just all depends what the group decides to do.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby toomuchcopper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Lets through out some numbers at this copper idea......we perhaps could control of very large amount of the copper pennies in circulation by doing this which in turn could drive the market.
let's say 500 members each put in $300. That's $150,000 which would be enough to buy at a discounted rate of? ???? And how much does it cost to store it?????
What if we could come up with a million dollars how much of the copper market could we control???? Some of you math guys maybe can run some numbers for us. This could be a very valid waay to MAKE copper sell at or near spot like silver.....thoughts?
for more information on copper pennies and copper penny sorting go to
WWW.CRAZYCOINGUY.COM
toomuchcopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

toomuchcopper wrote:Lets through out some numbers at this copper idea......we perhaps could control of very large amount of the copper pennies in circulation by doing this which in turn could drive the market.
let's say 500 members each put in $300. That's $150,000 which would be enough to buy at a discounted rate of? ???? And how much does it cost to store it?????
What if we could come up with a million dollars how much of the copper market could we control???? Some of you math guys maybe can run some numbers for us. This could be a very valid waay to MAKE copper sell at or near spot like silver.....thoughts?

I think we should focus on using a smaller number of people for our calculations. I am doubtful we would be able to get 500. Maybe 50? is more realistic. Im sure we would have some bigger players in that group too. Maybe 2 People at 20K, 10 People at 5 K 20 People at 1 K... etc, thats an example.

Lets do it hunt brothers style! Get some third party news source to say a "private investment group" has taken a "substantial" portion of the existing US copper pennies :mrgreen:

I think the numbers wont show enough of an effect because there is a lot of pennies out there. The story though could create the effect you are talking about. ;)
TXBullion

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:53 pm

I think the copper buy is the way to go. It makes the most sense. I will buy a share.
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:10 pm

toomuchcopper wrote:Lets through out some numbers at this copper idea......we perhaps could control of very large amount of the copper pennies in circulation by doing this which in turn could drive the market.

Very interesting. :) To be honest, the number would need to be really big, in order to even make a dent or a decent news story (online story or local news story). There are still billions of copper pennies in circulation, so again, the number needs to be BIG in order to have any kind of effect. I think the number needs to be in the multi-millions, to be honest. Just my 2 copper cents.

Assuming that we only use Portland Mint, then it also depends on how much storage space he truly has. Remember, he still has to have some space left over for all his other daily deals etc.

I could also ask Hoard for his opinion when I see him next (either at the ANA show this weekend or a coin club meeting). :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 am

HPMBTT wrote:

Very interesting. :) To be honest, the number would need to be really big, in order to even make a dent or a decent news story (online story or local news story). There are still billions of copper pennies in circulation, so again, the number needs to be BIG in order to have any kind of effect. I think the number needs to be in the multi-millions, to be honest. Just my 2 copper cents.

Assuming that we only use Portland Mint, then it also depends on how much storage space he truly has. Remember, he still has to have some space left over for all his other daily deals etc.

I could also ask Hoard for his opinion when I see him next (either at the ANA show this weekend or a coin club meeting). :)

Storage is not an issue and I doubt will ever be an issue.

Yes, in order to make a big dent we need several million face value.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm

It would be nice, though if we did this, it made the news, and then people started hoarding and buying Cu cents, thus inflating the price. :) Would be nice to see 2x sales or more. Just make sure that you get as many boxes as you can PRIOR to this making the news.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Anything going to come of this?
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals