Could the silver/gold ratio go 1:1??

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Could the silver/gold ratio go 1:1??

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:46 am

"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: Could the silver/gold ratio go 1:1??

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:28 am

Great video!

Ted Butler has been predicting this for a long time. I have been "all in" for quite awhile. It can't happen soon enough for me.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 am

Im pretty sure he said cadillac converters and not catalytic :D
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:59 am

Cool video. Dramatic! I would be dancing with delight if it hit 10 to 1. If it hits 1 to 1 I'd convert a Cadillac to be plated in silver and drive around in a top hat tossing copper cents to the masses. :lol:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Sounds like the same narrator who does the NIA videos. 1:1 ratio? It'll happen, just a matter of time... may be ten years though.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Fun video

but.....nope, never can or will happen.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I think it COULD happen. It actually is being used up, and that isnt likely to change anytime soon. So depending on how things play out i think thats possible. If it did happen though, it would almost certainly not last long. Lots of silver mies that are marginal now would be in full production, driving prices back down. Then of course who kows, perhaps the stock would simply be used up again.... there are way to many variables for me to say whether or not I think its likely, but I think it is possible.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Treetop wrote: Lots of silver mies that are marginal now would be in full production, driving prices back down.

Silver is estimated to be the mineral resource in the Earth's crust nearest to depletion. There's only supposed to be a nine year supply left at current mining rates. Gold is replenished and not used up, as is silver. Silver has unrelenting industrial demand and is irreplaceable in its applications, and thus will eventually become extinct, absent a huge price remediation. Given sufficient time, an end to manipulation, and widespread awareness of the impending scarcity of silver creating a tsunami of new investors seeking the hottest momentum investment, and not only will silver shoot to the moon, it will far surpass the percentage gains anticipated for gold and will, in the process, approach and eventually exceed the price of gold per ounce. Like I said... a decade, if not sooner. Silver is the new Gold. "psssst, Hey! I got some grams of silver, dude. Wanna score?" Image
beauanderos

Postby scrapper2010 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:18 pm

[quote="beauanderos"][quote="Treetop"] Gold is replenished and not used up, as is silver. Silver has unrelenting industrial demand and is irreplaceable in its applications, and thus will eventually become extinct,
beauanderos, how is silver used up in applications? Burned away? Thanks for the insight, did not know that.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

i believe he means, gold is recycled from old cell phones, computers etc. silver isn't currently being recycled from applications such as those(due to low prices mostly I assume). but I dont assume silver in dumps from electronics will be easy to remine the dump for, unless the price is just a huge amount, or we also are digging in the dump for other newly (more) valuable things. and silver is used as a cleaning agent. How is one supposed to recover silver from silver bandaids and silver soaps..soaps being the hardest and bandaids being a bit..weird to throw in a bin to recycle to have the silver be reused.
Last edited by Spikeanator6982 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:57 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:
Treetop wrote: Gold is replenished and not used up, as is silver. Silver has unrelenting industrial demand and is irreplaceable in its applications, and thus will eventually become extinct,
beauanderos, how is silver used up in applications? Burned away? Thanks for the insight, did not know that.

Silver, in some applications, is used in such minute amounts that it would be uneconomical to attempt to recycle it unless at much, much, much higher prices. In other uses, for instance when used in silver-infused burn dressings and bandages it becomes contaminated and is destroyed, in other applications it is used in the form of nanoparticles... try retrieving those. Silver is used in medicines and water treatment, irretrievable to recycling. Silver is used as filaments in clothing and fabric to prevent odor, and silver aluminum sulfate is used in some men's antiperspirants. Silver is used in paint to prevent mildew. Silver alloys are used in mil thick reflective coatings on cds and dvds. Silver is used in embedded RFID chips too tiny to retrieve. Some silver in industrial applications IS recyclable, but the percentage retrieved in such fashion is diminishing in percentage with each passing year. But the exponential increase due to investor demand is what will form a bedrock foundation beneath silver and impel its price higher, as it is quite probable that investment demand will increase faster than industrial usage from here on out.
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:33 pm

silver worth as much as gold...... :roll:
Last edited by Rodebaugh on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:In industry, Silver is most often used as a cheap alternative to gold.

We all know that gold is BY FAR a more efficient transmitter of electrical current than silver. This is the #1 reason why silver will always play second fiddle to gold. (it’s the bargain substitute)

Matter of fact, Gold alloyed with copper still produces a higher conductive product than silver.

silver worth as much as gold...... :lol: :roll: :lol:

Doc, you should stick to teeth. No wait... they already have that. Plaque. :oops: Why don't you go recycle some aerosolized silver atoms from the Tomahawk missile strikes? :lol:

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele047.html
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 923AA2mf9C
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_element ... lectricity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical ... nductivity
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 pm

So I slept through that lecture in school.......busted.

still yet, silver trading at a 1:1 of gold. Not in our lifetime Raymond.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:So I slept through that lecture in school.......busted.

Doc... you're probably right, I'll give you that much. But it could happen. It's not as far of a stretch as people imagine, when you closely examine the fundamentals. You will be amazed and astonished, flabbergasted and chagrined, at how high it DOES go. :shock:
beauanderos

Postby AGCoinHunter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Gotta agree with the doc on this one. Current prices now are driven by economic and polotical trends not shortages in industrial applications. Hoarding and speculation are driving this market. Silver will never be worth more than gold. While you might see it break the 16:1 ratio, that would never last. Econmic times turn around $5 silver here we come.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:

Gotta agree with the doc on this one. Current prices now are driven by economic and polotical trends not shortages in industrial applications. Hoarding and speculation are driving this market. Silver will never be worth more than gold. While you might see it break the 16:1 ratio, that would never last. Econmic times turn around $5 silver here we come.

I agree with AG on most of his statements. First, silver would have to be perceived as being rarer than gold, which will never happen. Even the sheeple know that gold is more valuable than silver. Second, gold has always, always been more valuable than silver. Just because both PMs are shooting up now doesn't mean that what has never been seen before will happen.

Disagree though on the $5/oz silver. Silver is going to drop when the economy recovers, which it will. Might need yet another or maybe one more change of faces in the Oval Office, but it'll happen. However, when it does, I don't think we'll ever see less than $10/oz or $15/oz silver. The Hunt Brother's run-up was based on a legitimate effort to corner the market. Nothing like that is happening now. Those who are buying silver today (literally at today's prices) will never forgot how high it ran up to. Though it may drop to $20/oz, they (and by they I mean Ray) will never let it hit $5/oz.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 pm

I think there are many variables being excluded by many in this. One could argue its speculation that keeps silver from pricing in as high as gold. Its being consumed and theres less then there is above ground gold. the levels of it being consumed are only increasing. Silver will out perform gold by many multiples, certainly wouldnt say it WILL catch gold, but its not impossible. honestly it would have to be better economic times then we likely have ahead of us to foster that though. Wed need much more depleted silver stocks imo. Industrial usage is likely to plummet for a generation or so. Weve set the entire globe up to run on a ponzi scheme and its going to take time to re establish new systems I believe.

Better economic times? They arent happening. We are in to deep of debt. the facade won't last much longer. Many government programs will have to go simply because theres no money. Medicare and SS are dreams of a past era. Wake up folks we are a third world nation, its best we realize it now and start setting up with what little capitol we have left individually and as a country, rather then try to eek out a few more years pretending we can borrow our kids into debt slavery and smile about it. Our infrastructure is in major decline, our energy sources dwindling, our production outdated and off shored, a largely apathetic citizenry who expect only top down answers.... Raise taxes? it could never be enough and stagnates things itself. Lower costs? yes that will happen theres no alternative but it will dominoe down other things. All while the world faces similar problems and the dollar is going to be replaced as the reserve currency. As we go through this crisis less and less will accept pegging themselves to fiat, heck we can barely get people to finance debt anymore the FEDs doing it.

This will be generational at minimum. Especially the more we deny the writing on the wall and continue to pile onto or past mistakes as we are doing now. Future generations are likely to be rather angry at us for squandering our capitol in the retarded ways we have. We learned nothing from past empires and are right on track, we could shift course and make things much better and will at some point. its not the end of the world, only the end of our empire.....

Good can come from it as well. The next generation wont have the luxury of being apathetic having to work for their meals. Families will grow up closer again. Perhaps as we move forward we will do much better taking the best of our current times, and the past and have more wholesome lives. The next decade or three though, we will have to face the music.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Corsair wrote:
AGCoinHunter wrote:

I agree with AG on most of his statements. First, silver would have to be perceived as being rarer than gold, which will never happen.

[color=#FF0000]Silver is rarer above ground than gold NOW. Approximately 300 - 500 million ounces of silver, 5 billion ounces of gold. How can you fail to perceive its greater rarity than gold?
Even the sheeple know that gold is more valuable than silver. Second,

Untrue. Silver was valued more highly in ancient Egypt than gold due to its relative scarcity at that time, this will be a scarcity related event. I was looking for data to support my contention that at it's high in 1477 ($807) that silver was costlier than gold, but can't find prices on gold for that period.

Just because both PMs are shooting up now doesn't mean that what has never been seen before will happen.
Doesn't mean that it won't happen either though

Disagree though on the $5/oz silver. Silver is going to drop when the economy recovers, which it will.
Disagree twice here. Silver would rise if the economy recovers... but the economy WILL NOT recover. Go watch Crash Course. It is far too late for an economic recovery. Things will NEVER be the way they were in "better" times.

Might need yet another or maybe one more change of faces in the Oval Office, but it'll happen. However, when it does, I don't think we'll ever see less than $10/oz or $15/oz silver.
This prior, in most recent years, price range was due solely to heavily-suppressed manipulated markets. In a free market silver price discovery would have settled on a much higher range years ago, probably keeping pace with the long-established 16:1 ratio during all the years when it has been "underperforming" This price range is also dependent upon a stable dollar, not a destabilizing one in a quantitative easing milieu that will induce hyperinflation sooner than you might think.

The Hunt Brother's run-up was based on a legitimate effort to corner the market. Nothing like that is happening now. Those who are buying silver today (literally at today's prices) will never forgot how high it ran up to. Though it may drop to $20/oz, they (and by they I mean Ray) will never let it hit $5/oz.

Too bad I'm not a billionaire, but more and more multimillionaires are buying physical (John Embry, Eric Sprott, and others) and the billionaires ARE buying the silver mines Bill Gates - Pan American Silver, George Soros - Apex, Carlos Slim - Fresnillo... only because they cannot source physical silver to buy in sufficient quantities (pun intended... insufficient quantities) to absorb the monies they would wish to allot.
But I'm glad that there are people who think silver is priced too high, go ahead and sell it to me, I'll be happy to take it off your hands at this current underpriced valuation.
beauanderos

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:00 am

i think we will see the gold to silver ratio get down to 16 within a few years, possibly (but unlikely) this year.

through most of human history, silver has traded at approximately 16 oz silver to 1 oz gold. there have been exceptions, but those are exceptions and not the rule.

silver is roughly 17.5 times more abundant than gold in the earth's crust. silver is not about to become "extinct" as the narrator suggests. now, a temporary shortage might occur for above-ground silver, but it will only be temporary.

for silver to reach parity to gold, it will have to first hit 16 to 1. If gold were say 1600, then silver would be 100, about 3X its current price. At that price, there is a lot more silver projects that are economic to produce and silver miners would be working overtime to produce at what they would expect would be temporarily high prices.

ultimately, for silver to reach parity, you'll need the giants to buy it. not the billionaires, the central banks. right now they hold dollars and gold. The BIS is changing the rules to allow banks to count gold as Tier 1 capital. No mention of silver. A few countries like mexico and China are considering re-monetizing silver, but that is for coinage and not for CB reserves.

So the idea is plausible but based on the current state of affairs very unlikely imho.

Once the GSR hits 16, its hard to say silver is cheap anymore.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:44 am

I would trade any silver I had for gold at 1:1 all day long, but I have a hard time imagining someone seeing the other end of that deal as a bargain, regardless of what the official numbers said.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 am

I believe the ratio will close even more, and I'm 100% certain it will get to 20-1, but would not be surprised if it got close to 1:1.

The economy will recover, but only after the US is forced to take it's medicine. I firmly believe it will get worse before it gets better.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:59 pm

lol I'd have to up my ads on CL to paying 150x face lol
misteroman

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 pm

:lol: I'm right there with Psi: I'd be more than happy to trade my silver for gold, 1:1.

The economy will never "recover". It cannot, in the sense that a pound of beans will return to the old "dollar:beans" ratio we saw ten years ago. It will, eventually, "stabilize" so the ratio stops increasing.

Governments cannot afford to permit the ratio to drop, not on anything to do with "money". As gold is not, presently, "money", governments do not have to worry about the "gold:beans" ratio, so that /could/ drop to the old ratio.

However. That's /years/ down the road, as in "20 or more", IMO. Not something for me to worry about.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Im going to trade some silver for gold at 20to1.... Even though I expect the ratio to atleast spike much better then that towards silver.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals