Why sort manually when the Penny Arcade will do it for you?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why sort manually when the Penny Arcade will do it for you?

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:50 pm

I've not started roll searching for silver yet (I'm just sorting copper), but I'm curious why not just take whatever dimes, quarters or halves you get and just dump them at TD Bank directly? The Penny Arcade will reject silvers automatically. I was the beneficiary of someone who had used the machine before me and left 2 silver dimes in the reject tray. I didn't even notice myself until a TD Bank employee walked by and reminded me to check the reject tray. I guess the concern would be accuracy. It's not like I'm going to test the machine by sending 10 known silvers through only to get 8 back...."hmmm, guess it's not accurate"!! Does anyone sort this way? Anyone know how accurate the Penny Arcade really is at rejecting silvers?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Why sort manually when the Penny Arcade will do it for y

Postby Morsecode » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:10 pm

I can see it now: buying a box of halves from the counter and taking them 20 feet to the arcade to start cracking open rolls :D

That would last about one minute.

I do see your point, though. But I don't think it would spit out the 40%ers. I was unaware that it caught the 90% dimes...they're always giving me the junk that other people left behind when they open up the box to replace bags and I've never gotten silver dimes.

I think I got a couple silver Canada quarters though...

Well anyway, TD Bank has stopped selling halves here in CT, but maybe I'll send a silver Roosevelt thru next time I'm zinc dumping to test it.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 am

Good point about the 40%ers, I hadn't considered those. I doubt they'd get rejected.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby lakehouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:17 am

Given that the folks buying bags are reporting good finds I'd venture that the machines will accept the "good" coins as well as the bad ones. It sounds like an experiment for someone to try if they have one at home bit I wouldn't be betting on it myself
lakehouse

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 am

inflationhawk wrote:I've not started roll searching for silver yet (I'm just sorting copper), but I'm curious why not just take whatever dimes, quarters or halves you get and just dump them at TD Bank directly? The Penny Arcade will reject silvers automatically. I was the beneficiary of someone who had used the machine before me and left 2 silver dimes in the reject tray. I didn't even notice myself until a TD Bank employee walked by and reminded me to check the reject tray. I guess the concern would be accuracy. It's not like I'm going to test the machine by sending 10 known silvers through only to get 8 back...."hmmm, guess it's not accurate"!! Does anyone sort this way? Anyone know how accurate the Penny Arcade really is at rejecting silvers?

I don't think it will reject all of the silver. Most machines, like coinstars, will accept some silver and reject other. Dimes have a very tight tolerance so they almost always are rejected. Halves on the other hand have a very wide tolerance and usaully are accepted!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby jeffisontheair » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am

I can understand wanting to make the process easier, however, I would trust myself more than the machine to fish out silver. That being said, I have found a Mercury dime in the return tray from a previous user, as well as other coins.

For those of you who sort halves -- the TD bank Penny Arcade can only hold 200 halves at a time. So if you're throwing a whole box in there be prepared to find a bank employee to help you out.
jeffisontheair

Postby StoreOfValue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 am

Two different times I've found silver dimes left in the return at my Credit Union. But I totally agree not to trust it.
“Gold is the currency of kings, silver is the currency of the educated, barter is the currency of the working-class, and debt is the currency of slaves.”
StoreOfValue

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals