Two burgers, large fries, and a medium bag of silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Two burgers, large fries, and a medium bag of silver

Postby Morsecode » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 am

From this morning's CL:

"250 1964 Silver Kennedy Halves - $2000 (Manchester/Spruce Street Area)

Date: 2011-04-04, 8:30AM EDT

Whoever flagged my ad, Craigs List was just contacted Youll be dealt with soon. If your a dealer, I will sue your business 3x damages. My brother-in law is a lawyer. I have 250 1964 Kennedy halves for sale. Taxes due the 18th of this month. First $2000 cash. We can meet here or at the Manchester Wendys. Only phone numbers will receive a reply."

What do you suppose happens when you show up at the Wendy's with two G in cash? :D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Two burgers, large fries, and a medium bag of silver

Postby Neckro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:01 am

Change the meeting place to a bank. Or a place with lots of security. If the sellers legit, he'll do it for his safety too.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:05 am

Morsecode wrote:From this morning's CL:

"250 1964 Silver Kennedy Halves - $2000 (Manchester/Spruce Street Area)

Date: 2011-04-04, 8:30AM EDT

Whoever flagged my ad, Craigs List was just contacted Youll be dealt with soon. If your a dealer, I will sue your business 3x damages. My brother-in law is a lawyer. I have 250 1964 Kennedy halves for sale. Taxes due the 18th of this month. First $2000 cash. We can meet here or at the Manchester Wendys. Only phone numbers will receive a reply."

What do you suppose happens when you show up at the Wendy's with two G in cash? :D

Always use caution but as long as the place it public than you should be pretty good. Ive met in fast food and sit down restaruants, banks, libraries, gas stations, peoples houses, ect. Use common sense and you should be ok :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 am

Maybe I'm just getting too skeptical for my own good, but to my eyes this is someone looking to rob you. Why else post an ad for 90% halves at $8 ea when any number of people on Craigslist are offering to buy them at $12?

It's probably why someone flagged him the first time.

I replied to one (from the same town, might be the same seller) a few weeks ago for 2 rolls of 40% well below the going rate. We were going to meet at the mall, then enroute, he changed it to some motel parking lot across from the mall. Right...

I texted back that I'd see him at 2pm at the information desk at the library down the street. He never showed.

Be careful out there. As highroller said, pick the meet yourself. Anyone legit should have no problem with it. And if possible don't let them get a glimpse of your license plate.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justoneguy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 am

Morsecode wrote: And if possible don't let them get a glimpse of your license plate.

and i thought it was just me being paranoid [careful].
just a routine part of opsec.
i use a special email for these transactions, wish i had a different phone # also.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby oktyabyr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:11 pm

justoneguy wrote:
Morsecode wrote: And if possible don't let them get a glimpse of your license plate.

i use a special email for these transactions, wish i had a different phone # also.

Have a solution for that. Sign up for Google Voice. You get a new number, and can forward to your existing phone. Just make sure you place outgoing calls through GV, not directly through your phone. It's free. I have one. I love it. Perfect for opsec. Someone starts bugging you too much, just block their number. No more phone calls or messages from them. Only thing it won't do is pictures. But for everything else, I love it.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby Luoganta » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

justoneguy wrote:

Not too feed the fire for ya, but....Boost phones work wonders for that kind of thing.
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Snake42 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Google voice is amazing for this.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 pm

justoneguy wrote:... wish i had a different phone # also.
Cheap, perpaid phone. Mine only cost about $100 for a year, it's gone up about $10 since. (Side note, I got two $10ea, activated one. Use the spare as a battery charger so I just swap out the battery when necessary. Saves leaving the darn thing someplace on the charger, which I was constantly doing, and a lot cheaper than buying a spare charger.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals